• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforum underrates!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ecru!

While that is a fine color, a guy who wears BB OCBDs without a placket and but with two collar buttons should remain silent on the subject.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
While that is a fine color, a guy who wears BB OCBDs without a placket and but with two collar buttons should remain silent on the subject.

- B

+ mitred cuffs and no back pleats.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
+ No gauntlet button.

- B

It's not supposed to have a gauntlet button. If it did, that would be another foofish perversion.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but I think that you are taking some of it too seriously.

Phatty G has been very influential in two ways.

First, he brought a whole new level of visual sophistication in the presention of clothes on this forum.

Second, the diarist style he adopted can, in fact, show useful context to the role clothes play.

I agree that it is nearly impossible for most people to match the former. But, recently, a few have come close. The different angles, closeups, shots of the man in motion, all of these are more useful and interesting than the static shots that you and I, and much of the forum fogies take. Why get disheartened by that? I enjoy it even if I can't do it myself, nor as you put it, "compete" with it.

As for the latter, well, whatever negatives one might attach to it, even the worst diaries are better than 95% of what gets posted here day in, day out. Hot assistants, old dudes eating sausage, fast cars, world travel, whatever: if new are still more interesting than yet another thread asking how tight one's pants should be.

Have you considered that you might just be getting bored with the whole thing? There really isn't a lot of new information on tailored clothes to be had for someone who has been around like you.

Clothes are not actually an endlessly interesting topic in and of itself. Stunning, I know.

Jah, you make good points, particularly in seeing the role clothes play. But at a certain point, I think it can slip into an unreality -- a life people are trying to create for SF, and because of SF. It's the same issue at the heart of my old saw about not dressing like a men's shop mannequin. It seems like real style ought to have a core of authenticity to it, though I'm not sure how true that holds in practice. Certainly worked out for ol' Archibald Leach.

Maybe I am getting a bit bored with the whole thing, but I know there's plenty I don't know, and am certain there's more than we're getting. I fear SF is becoming a style to be adopted, rather than a reflection of the diversity of styles out there. That I feel this way is really a testament to the diversity of SF. I want more from SF because it is more -- not just the conservative uniform you tend to see in the fashion forum over at Andy's. It's shown me all sorts of new things, and for that I guess I should be happy, but I'm greedy.

That said, I don't really care about people's cars -- I don't read car forums -- and am sufficiently happy with the food I eat that I don't need to see others' leftovers. And I think it's creepy when pics of women are posted to be ogled, especially when those women may or may not know their images are being posted on the Internet.

I like seeing the clothes in action, and I even like the lifestyle pics. I just lose interest when the motivation for posting the pics seems to lie elsewhere than with the clothing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's not supposed to have a gauntlet button. If it did, that would be another foofish perversion.

What?

You have me on the ropes...I can't remember that aspect clearly. Where's Will?

But you know, only the popover version is correct anyway, right? The coat version was the first horrifying innovation.

- B

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Large neckwear:

red2rfb.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What?

You have me on the ropes...I can't remember that aspect clearly. Where's Will?

But you know, only the popover version is correct anyway, right? The coat version was the first horrifying innovation.

- B

Definitely no guantlet button. Will says no pockets either, that pockets were added in 1969. I have never known a BB OCBD without pockets. But there is a Tom Wolfe essay which backs up Will.

Your second point is lost on me; no idea what you are talking about.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Avengers
Patrick Macnee's talents.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Eh, the patterned trou and coat was an experiment. But memorable, eh?

That said, I have been feeling worn down by the keeping up with the Joneses.

Maybe I've just been cranky lately. I mean, it is a style forum.

Originally Posted by AgentQ
But in the Netherlands, this is part of the superior Indian cultural style!
bigstar[1].gif

Like the rest of that nation, it's still below sea level.
Vox is not actually an endlessly interesting topic in and of itself.
FTFY. Stunning, I know.

Can't you just take pictures of your food like everyone else?

- B

"Uncorrected personality traits that seem whimsical in a child may prove to be ugly in a fully grown adult... The spoilt baby grows into the escapist teenager who's the adult alcoholic who's the middle-aged suicide. Oi!" - Robyn Hitchcock

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
meh. Brooks does not define the entire gospel. The collar roll was perfect. Same with the cuff. But I won't canonize every detail. On the other hand, all of Foo's departures are blasphemous and worse, ugly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
meh. Brooks does not define the entire gospel. The collar roll was perfect. Same with the cuff. But I won't canonize every detail. On the other hand, all of Foo's departures are blasphemous and worse, ugly.

Mercer is a well designed shirt, but crazy baggy. CEGO is better (on me).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads