• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dupioni Silk Suits

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, there is one mill in Italy that makes it, in four colors.
I think you are right that there is only one mill that makes it anymore, but I have seen more than four colors.  I have seen navy blue, slate blue, harbor blue, elephant gray, tan, and forest green.  There may be others, for all I know.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father gave me a Burgandy Dupioni Double brested silk suit.
It was made for him by Smalto in Paris about 20 years ago.

It is not something you can wear once a week.

It is also very warm. But not something that can be worn in the winter.

I love it, but it is not practical.

CArl

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is "como" the same as "dupioni"? A navy or air force blue slubby silk would look pretty cool.

f00016131424914.jpg

Originally Posted by Manton
I think you are right that there is only one mill that makes it anymore, but I have seen more than four colors. Â I have seen navy blue, slate blue, harbor blue, elephant gray, tan, and forest green. Â There may be others, for all I know.

Which mill is this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Is "como" the same as "dupioni"? A navy or air force blue slubby silk would look pretty cool.

f00016131424914.jpg

Parker! I thought I had gotten over my illogical desire for a dupioni suit. This is not helping.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've told this story on here several times...but...last year during the AFI Film Festival in Dallas the downtown Dallas flagship Neiman Marcus store did a film costume display. In the men's department they had a large number of suits from various films including several Robert De Niro suits. One was a slate blue duponi silk suit from The Untouchables. It was three piece with turnback cuffs. I haven't seen too many duponi silk suits I would wear, but that one...unbelievable. I'd have worn that one.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think you are right that there is only one mill that makes it anymore, but I have seen more than four colors. Â I have seen navy blue, slate blue, harbor blue, elephant gray, tan, and forest green. Â There may be others, for all I know.

You left out black.

Have had a dark navy dupioni SB and tan dupioni DB. Great suits. Remember the trouser held a crease very well.
Have a light shade of navy cut for a suit but who knows if it will ever get finished. Also have a length in navy on the shelf.
Most popular use is for white or cream silk DJ.
Michael Corleone wearing grey silk suit in Nevada comes to mind from the movie.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by armscye
Are we sure we're talking about the same thing here?

I have a pearl-gray sportcoat labelled dupioni silk, and it is a somewhat coarse but regular weave with minimal stiffness, and a slight sheen. This is consistent with Flusser's references in DTM to the term Dupioni as being Italian for "doubled", and further being a densely woven slightly shiny silk fabric with the weave quite visible.

My jacket does NOT have the "full of runs" look of shantung silk, with its numerous irregular "slubs" of silk running parallel. I have several ties of this type. It sounds to me like perhaps these two fabric types are being confused.

I wonder as well.

I have an mid-grey Domenico Spano silk suit that fits your first description to an absolute tee. It's not slubby. I'm not sure if it qualifies as Dupioni or not.

FWIW, I like the suit, but clearly, it's not an everyday item in temperate climates. I wear it occasionally during the summer months.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a tan/gold double-breasted suit by Domenico Spano on display right in front of the elevators on the sixth floor at Saks NYC. It has a lot more slubs than the Dupioni suits I have seen, which makes me think it is shantung. Can anyone who has seen it weigh in? I stop and look at it whenever I'm there, and each time there have always been a few others admiring it.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody here posted a picture of Al Pacino wearing a Dupioni silk suit in the Godfather a while back, but I couldn't find it.

I think it looks great. I also wish more places would offer shantung ties. They seem to have disappeared.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Somebody here posted a picture of Al Pacino wearing a Dupioni silk suit in the Godfather a while back, but I couldn't find it.

I think it looks great. I also wish more places would offer shantung ties. They seem to have disappeared.

chimage.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads