• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)

daft

Reaction score
Just watched Howl's Moving Castle which was my first Miyazaki film and I gotta say it was beautiful. I had no idea what the hell was going on and the plot was kinda confusing to me but nonetheless amazing. The music was fantastic and you can't keep your eyes away. What Miyazaki film should I watch next?

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
Just watched Howl's Moving Castle which was my first Miyazaki film and I gotta say it was beautiful. I had no idea what the hell was going on and the plot was kinda confusing to me but nonetheless amazing. The music was fantastic and you can't keep your eyes away. What Miyazaki film should I watch next?

Spirited Away, then Princess Mononoke (my fav by Miyazaki) if you are looking for something similar in visuals and story telling. Porko Rosso if you want more a more light-hearted and entertaining film (with older animation).
Provided you like those, move to other early work such as Nausicaa, or Grave of the Fireflies (Studio Ghibli but not by Miyazaki; very very depressing).

I didn't know that, I will have to watch for it. Thanks!

No probs. Just started watching it so I can let you know how it is soon.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tacitvs

The Girl who Leapt through Time

Anywhere to catch this online?

For the folks interested in the new Fullmetal series go here for the episodes:
http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=280
Funimation has them on their site for free.

I just started reading this:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/onani_master_kurosawa/
I haven't gotten to far but it's really funny. Typical highschool setting with a dissaffected protagonist, that masterbates to the hot girls in class. Who can't relate.

ChampdeMars

Reaction score
Ookiku Furikabutte: Never in my life have i ever watched a whole game of baseball, nor had i planned to. This will string one game over the course of many episodes. I could not stop watching.

Code Geass
Nodame Cantible
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

For some 90's anime:
Blue Seed
Ninja Scroll
Patlabor
Tenchi Muyo

tacitvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
Anywhere to catch this online?
It looks like someone put it up in sections on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sutanime#play/uploads Also, I started watching Baccano based on the recommendation from killua. Thanks again! Its one of those that has kept me up watching non-stop. Pretty freaky at parts , then ridiculously funny. Good stuff.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Agreed with all those who reccomend Hiyao Miyazaki's works, they are all epic
fing02[1].gif

My neighbor Totoro (Personal fave from my childhood
inlove.gif
)
Kiki's Delivery Service is great too, just finished it the other day, feel good movie
smile.gif

Ofcourse Laputa's Castle... Mononoke... and Nausicaa are all EPIC

Also look into "Fate Stay Night"... I have the Translated Visual novel, supposedly its the best visual novel ever made (By Typemoon)
Amazing story, with 3 different endings, that depend on your choices in the storyline, and each ending has its own variations as well
very addicting game, it takes atleast a week to finish one storyline, I have yet to finish the last one but Ill work on it soon enough
The anime isn't as good but its def fun to watch, It mixes up aspects of each different story from the visual novel

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
For me, best manga ever is very easily Takehiko Innoue's Vagabond.
I would beg to differ.

Nananine already recommended Osamu Tezuka. Another favorite artist of mine, heads and shoulders above most, is Jiro Taniguchi. I cannot believe nobody mentioned him yet. My favourite is probably Haruka na Machi e.

Originally Posted by Dragon
アルプスの少女はハイジー Alps no Shojo Heidi - geared more towards kids. A story of a young girl living with her grandfather in the Swiss alps (wow, what a boring description, but it is another famous and good classic).
There is a TV show based on that manga that was very popular in Europe when I was a kid.

Can`t think of anymore good ones that haven`t been mentioned already.
No mention of giants like Miyazaki (not mentioned at that point of the thread) or Taniguchi and you cannot of anymore good ones? Shame on you
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by Nananine
Hiroki Endo Yoshihiro Tatsumi
I'll look these up, thanks for the rec.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I would beg to differ.

Nananine already recommended Osamu Tezuka. Another favorite artist of mine, heads and shoulders above most, is Jiro Taniguchi. I cannot believe nobody mentioned him yet. My favourite is probably Haruka na Machi e.

There is a TV show based on that manga that was very popular in Europe when I was a kid.

No mention of giants like Miyazaki (not mentioned at that point of the thread) or Taniguchi and you cannot of anymore good ones? Shame on you
tounge.gif

This one is quite good, more of a novel in graphic form though...

Bravo

Reaction score
Anime : Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (天元突破グレンラガン)
Gurren-english.png
Same anime team who made EVA Manga: Gantz (ガンツ Gantsu)
190px-Gantzvol1.jpg
Blood, gore, naked girls, sifi

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I would beg to differ.

tounge.gif

Yeah, I assumed all the well known, classic giants were a given. But what I find interesting is the general decline of story telling quality in a lot of otherwise promising series as anime/manga becomes more mainstream.

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bravo
Anime :
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (天元突破グレンラガン)
Gurren-english.png

Same anime team who made EVA

I haven't finished Gurren Lagann, but it's a very entertaining series with pretty weighty, epic themes.

Lately I've been on a slice of life manga kick. Unfortunately, those series are never released in English (except on fan-translated sites shhh)

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
I haven't finished Gurren Lagann, but it's a very entertaining series with pretty weighty, epic themes.

Lately I've been on a slice of life manga kick. Unfortunately, those series are never released in English (except on fan-translated sites shhh)

An interesting thing I learned about the funsubbing community, and at least a good portion of the people who read them/work for them, is that they are *very* supportive of the industry.

People with hobbies are crazy, would hear about how some collections would run users into the thousands of dollars worth (I'm talking mostly bought in the U.S).

Nananine

Reaction score
They are, save for bitching about individual companies (Tokyopop is a common target). But some great manga out there will never ever be released in America so it's all kosher to me. For example, leisurely-paced slice of life Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or sarcastic dystopian parody Freesia. Even though the former had an anime series and the latter had a major motion picture release.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anime
Cowboy bebop
Samurai Champloo

pretty much all the Miyazaki

Manga
Dragon Head , the movie adaptation was quite good despite some cheesy acting, I've yet to see a better post-apocalyptic flick
dragon_head_manga.jpg

Phoenix, epic Tezuka's last serie
32935334.JPG

The Drifting classroom, 70s manga, quite disturbing actually, didn't finish it as it's getting repetitve after a while but interesting nonetheless
TheDriftingClassroom01.jpg

Tekkon kinkreet, didn't read it yet but someone recommended it to me
tekkonkinkreet_cover_01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 71 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.0%

Forum statistics

Threads