• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Streetwear Essentials

Brian SD

Reaction score
Also, I have not seen the ER-6i's in person, I've only tried out the ER-6's. Apparently the ER-6i's are designed specifically to counter the bass roll-off of the iPod. I'm excited - I gotta give them a shot.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... The iRiver is cool, but the product design is **** and the interface as well leaves something to be desired. I can't be dragging something around that looks like a Linux-nerd designed it.
LOL, i hear what you're saying. anyway i just keep it in my bag and use the remote.

but the main reason i got it (aside from the price) was the frequency response, according to at least one tester, is dead level and at least as low THD+N as the iPod. so, ostensibly, no bass rolloff. i haven't done a listening comparison so i don't know this firsthand, and i'm not even sure i could tell anyway.

also the firmware is updatable on the iRiver, and there were murmers at some point of third parties hacking up a new interface. dunno if that ever happened. (also the customer service isn't the greatest at iRiver.)

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD,April 20 2005,16:37
.... The iRiver is cool, but the product design is **** and the interface as well leaves something to be desired. I can't be dragging something around that looks like a Linux-nerd designed it. ....
LOL, i hear what you're saying. anyway i just keep it in my bag and use the remote. but the main reason i got it (aside from the price) was the frequency response, according to at least one tester, is dead level and at least as low THD+N as the iPod. so, ostensibly, no bass rolloff. i haven't done a listening comparison so i don't know this firsthand, and i'm not even sure i could tell anyway. also the firmware is updatable on the iRiver, and there were murmers at some point of third parties hacking up a new interface. dunno if that ever happened. (also the customer service isn't the greatest at iRiver.)
Yes, the iRiver does have an excellent amp in it - it's about equal or a little better than the iPod shuffle, which has the best amp of the iPods. I assume the next range of pods will have the same amp as the shuffle. The bass roll-off is my only real gripe with the iPod, which is why I'm extremely excited to hear that the ER-6i's are designed to combat that. Those Grado's sure are beautiful things, though. I almost never use actual floor speakers because of how clearly represented the entire range of sound is. The design is really cool too - retro chic, if you will? not that it matters what your headphones look like at home since you sure as hell don't see them and no one else does either, but its hard not to admire.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jeans- a pair of slim dark, a pair of 501 or repros
tees-fitted in white black and grey
polos- vintage from thrift store
belt-mil issue web belt
shoes- vans slip ons, vintage boots, low profile skate shoes for skateboarding
outerwear- m-65, pea coat, i only have one hoodie, and i just bought it last week... a vintage stussy... looks like early 90s or late 80s.

familyman

Reaction score
Jeans, how you like 'em. A couple pairs. I think almost everyone should have a 501 or clone. It's a style that never goes out of style.
Khakis, at least one pair. Some days are just not jeans days.
Canvas slip ons.
Boots, leather, able to be resoled, more and more character through time.
Some other shoe, probably a sneaker. I like beat penny loafers but I'm a prep/trad.
A few polo shirts.
A few rumpled/old dress shirts of your style.
Tee's, I'm a basic solid t-shirt guy, I generally don't wear graphics.
Old beat up comfy sweater or sweatshirt.
Zip hoody or zip sweater. I love zip sweaters. Best.
Blazer or sport coat. Again, this has to fit your style, slim or not. New or old. Much variety but it's gotta be you. Ebaying Oxxford is a wonderful way to spend $50 on the best of the best if you like their cut.
Jacket, leather, pea coat, spend some money here and get something that has been a classic style for at least 20 years. Buy a coat that you can wear until you have kids that are old enough to steal it from you beacause dad has such an awesome coat. Even if you don't have kids, somebody will want to steal it in 20 years, it's that cool.
Mine is not a cutting edge street style but with only a few new pieces a year I won't look like I'm that guy who stopped buying clothes a year out of highschool 10 years ago. I hope.

Edit: Bugger, forgot a belt, or two or three. One should be a solid leather strap that unsnaps to release the buckle. Changing buckles daily is great fun.

afaludi

Reaction score
You also cannot forget about the Zippo, for yourself and others

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
because it's really warm here, streetwear essentials go minimalist:

jeans - APC in my case, maybe something else to add to it when the time is right
tees - fitted, a mix of plain and graphic tees in my wardrobe; i stay away from overly "rock" graphics or loud prints, and head for quieter motifs.
shoes - alternating between my two pairs of chucks and my umbros

my belt is usually hidden by my shirt, so i keep the belt simple. a messenger bag is usually big enough for my items, and when i feel kooky i put on my kooky mambo watch.

Goblin

Reaction score
Good jeans (cuffed), fitted t-shirt, black high-top Chucks, Dickies belt. In fall or winter, add thermals and a Carhartt chore coat, and greasy brown Docs instead of Chucks depending on snow. That's pretty much the uniform, has been for a long time, and will be for a long time.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've grown tired of vans and chucks and accessories because everywhere I turn people have been playing them out in socal. For me when I go out, loafers are my choice and blazers with unique cuts and textures. I've got a destructured uppercut blazer with random threads and stitching everywhere and a brown herringbone ben sherman blazer with loose threads, different colored buttons and red lining. I've also got a camel pinstripe velvet (low nap) br two button that I haven't worn b/c the weather hasn't allowed it and also a ted baker classic navy wide pinstripe jacket as well.

chicagobull

Reaction score
-APC rescues (all I am wearing at the moment), Lucky, or Abercrombie jeans (not the stupid cut-up/superfaded ones, just old ones that fit like a glove), Adidas pants,
-brown Campers (awesome shoes BTW), Adidas Rod Lavers (white and Green), or Reef Flip-flops (super-cozy),
-WHITE undershirts, Polo shirts (almost exclusively RL) in both long and short sleeves and in a variety of colors/stripes, button down shirts (blue checks are best), merino wool V-necks,
-black 3/4 length single breasted wool coat (formal/work), light brown suede coat, Adidas Track Jacket (white and burgundy.. nothing too flashy),
-baseball caps (Bulls and Cubs)...

Thats all I can think of, as I don't particularly feel like looking thru my closet at the moment. I never really got into the whole vintage t-shirt look, as I usually just wear polos, and the only sportscoats I have are my Dad's old ones from the late 70's which I ALWAYS get complemented on (but I only wear them sporadically).

.....Oh yeah, IPODS>>than everything else.. even if you are an uber-cool hipster, and have to go against the grain.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicagobull
.....Oh yeah, IPODS>>than everything else.. even if you are an uber-cool hipster, and have to go against the grain.
The only thing iPod has going for it are the peripherals available for it. As far as the standalone players go: Better than Ipod.
image001.jpg

AdamG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The only thing iPod has going for it are the peripherals available for it.

As far as the standalone players go:

Better than Ipod.

iTunes is what makes the iPod great.

mrflavor

Reaction score
keep it simple.
if you have to decide whether to put on a bandana or a sweatband on ur head as accessories, you're trying too hard...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just felt like randomly resurrecting a thread.
Originally Posted by AdamG
iTunes is what makes the iPod great.
I suppose. If you're in to that sort of thing. I'm one of those old skool rebels who doesn't pay for downloaded music. Plus, you know... I hate Apple... so even if I wanted to pay for music that I could get for free, I wouldn't use iTunes. Nobody is giving the "hat" any love here in "essentials". Do none of you wear hats?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics