• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vibram 5 fingers

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
^ yea, it all depends on the terrain I wore them on a trail hike, enjoyable 6.3 miles logged and they felt great but you do feel everything beneath your feet so aside from trail hiking, i would'nt try these on any rocky or gravely terrain but for climbing they are great, I was able to climb up big rocks and boulders with ease, and the feeling is great, much more feel than any other shoe. Again, depends on the rock face, they felt great on relatively smooth rocks that i climbed but i would'nt try them on a jagged natural face or anything like that (I'll be going on a cruise in a few weeks, and the ship has a rock wall so i can't wait to try these out on that!) kinda common sense lol but yea, definitely a great shoe to bring on a camping trip, I also used them for canoeing/fishing and they were great
smile.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

I guess I'll be off to the store down the street to check them out in person.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do VFFs have those queer toe separations?

oroy38

Reaction score
Allows your feet to "grip" onto the surface using your toes. The VFFs are great if you're looking to get the benefits of barefoot running without the risk of cutting up your feet. I've gone through 3 pairs since they came out.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like cheesy marketing that's deleterious to comfort. Toe formation is pretty different among people and I find it weird that they stick to some kind of uniform style (or don't they?).

adversity04

Reaction score
They do, and my toes don't fit quite perfectly. This hasn't hampered their usage for me in any way. I've found that the separation is not uncomfortable after the first 10 seconds of wearing them.

Maybe they'll do MTM someday

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It looks like cheesy marketing that's deleterious to comfort. Toe formation is pretty different among people and I find it weird that they stick to some kind of uniform style (or don't they?).

i don't know about on a longer run, but in my limited experience there was no discomfort while running. i think i happen to be one of the lucky people with what they consider to be average toe lengths.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Yea the toes are not suppose to fit perfect, with my pair Only my big toe is snug and fitted, the rest are not like that (they are shorter then the shoes toes) however my heel fits perfectly so the fit/rit is comfortable and snug, and like adversity and js4 have said it isn't a bother at all
and yea i agree adversity, I love having the ability to spread my toes and strike with the ball of my foot/ mid foot, so liberating
inlove.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think a solid shoe would be more effective. Something more along the lines of track spikes without the spikes.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I would think a solid shoe would be more effective. Something more along the lines of track spikes without the spikes.

That reminds me, I thought that there were shoes that were made for runners for only one race and VERY thin?

Similar to the 5 fingers but without the separated toes.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
I think I know what you're talking about
The nike Mayfly is a super light wieght racing shoe with an avg life span of 62 miles, and many consider it disposable
They dont have a super thin sole per say, but yea ridiculosly light...
I dont think it would be a good idea for a runner who normally would wear regular running shoes to switch over to a thin soled type shoe that would mimick barefoot running, because it does take some time to get used to and would probably be more of a hinderance than any help

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I saw a guy at the gym wearing the low cut classic version of these and was a bit shocked, having never seen them before. He was evidently the uppity/yuppity type, so I decided those shoes were the ultimate statement of oneupmanship to which white people are prone ("I'm so cool I can wear ballet slippers to the gym"). Can't wait for http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/ to get in on this.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of you suggesting they have a thicker sole or a single toe compartment clearly don't understand the ******* point. They are intended to give barefooters a level of protection from glass and other sharp objects they might encounter. That's all.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Those of you suggesting they have a thicker sole or a single toe compartment clearly don't understand the ******* point. They are intended to give barefooters a level of protection from glass and other sharp objects they might encounter. That's all.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads