• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmvargas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btlaxripper
I am 20 years old and just purchased my first watch, from a secondhand dealer.

Here is a picture of it before I receive it, this is just a teaser pic.

A big purchase at my age for $600...

Hard to find an Omega with more than just hash marks for the hour markers, and I wanted a white/steel toned watch to be more versatile, and I ordered a cotton strap as well for more casual occasions. I am very excited for its arrival, fingers crossed that it makes it through customs at the US/Canada border.

What do you guys think?
DSCN0470.jpg

more pics to come when it is received

Hate to say it, but this Omega looks like a fake or a franken-watch...

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexmvargas
Hate to say it, but this Omega looks like a fake or a franken-watch...

It has a Dr's dial and Omega made some of those. A little research would be in order.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
The watch is circa 1950's, so a little older than most of the vintage 70's Omega's floating around.

What is a Dr dial?

The picture is really washed out, the best I could muster right now.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Quick question. What materials are commonly used to make the dials of watches? I know that porcelin is used on some dress watches, but what about sports watches, like a Rolex sub or Seiko monster, for instance?

Singular

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
hmmm... Orfina Porsche Design?

Don't tell anyone...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
Quick question. What materials are commonly used to make the dials of watches? I know that porcelin is used on some dress watches, but what about sports watches, like a Rolex sub or Seiko monster, for instance?

Brass.

/M

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btlaxripper
The watch is circa 1950's, so a little older than most of the vintage 70's Omega's floating around.

What is a Dr dial?.

Dr' s, i.e., Doctor's - as in medical doctor - these dials typically have the 60 second hash marks - for taking a pulse, I suppose. Many manufacturers make or made such a dial and they're often decscribed as Doctor's dials or watches.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Dr' s, i.e., Doctor's - as in medical doctor - these dials typically have the 60 second hash marks - for taking a pulse, I suppose. Many manufacturers make or made such a dial and they're often decscribed as Doctor's dials or watches.

Oh awesome, just what I need for when I get in to med school

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8

For example:

IMG_4007.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are doctor dials - one counts 30 pulses and reads what pulse rate is on the outside markings

watch_Unver_pulsation_dial_1950s_full.2.jpg

watch_Girard_Perregaux_doctor_chronometer_1940s_face.JPG

gruen_precision_chrono-timer_solid_gold_doctors_watch.jpg

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Girard Perregaux is epic.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were to pick one watch magazine for a subscription, which would it be? Watch Time, IW, or something else? Or is this sort of like comparing GQ and Details (i.e., they're basically interchangeable)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads