• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contemporary home architecture

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
One more time and I'm not bringing the "for her pleasure" rubbers for our next encounter.
Mon dieu! THow am I supposed to get to feelin' good papi?
confused.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1C8B54EE-B540-4CEA-B31B-F035147FF78B.jpg
There a bunch of new condo buildings going up in Austin. This, The Crescent, is the ugliest.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Was The Crescent based off set design in some dystopic future movie, about the need to live in a prison bunker in urban settings?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
1C8B54EE-B540-4CEA-B31B-F035147FF78B.jpg

There a bunch of new condo buildings going up in Austin. This, The Crescent, is the ugliest.

I was just in Austin... there is a ton of **** around like that. Architecturally I wasn't overly impressed with the city besides the Driskill and the capitol.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You don't like the Frost Tower?
NoseClipperTower.jpg

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
austin's catching up. i move into the spring this month. point tower FTW. http://springaustin.com/ all that **** on the east side and those new buildings on 5th can ******* ass, though.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, i also went to check out the nine-sixty-nine linked in the OP.

what a ******* piece of garbage. it's the cheesiest, most contrived crap i've ever seen. it's like a cult of prius owners hired their kindergarten waldorf kids to design and build houses. the funny thing is how it's RIGHT next to a normal, old-ass, run-down neighborhood and nothing like the isolated and ideal location the site makes it out to be.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
That "house" is absolutely hideous, not to mention the entire concept is marsupialed. When did creating an idiotic idea become a necessity to classify something as "contemporary art/architecture"?

I have a better idea for a modern looking home. It's just 4 sticks in the ground, each at the corner points of an invisible square, then you just stand in the center.

Just shut up.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Spring is not bad. The AMLI is the worst:
2547643638_3cbb2027dd.jpg
The ugly green lights ruin our skyline:
2712029613_253d9c02d8.jpg

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I have noticed this trend, starting from about 5-10 years ago, of modern-looking homes that utilize heterogeneous materials and unusual shapes that I find very unattractive and overwrought. A good example is this entire development in Austin that is built in this style.

Is there a name for this type of style? Is it over-taking faux-Tuscan, or are they co-existing peacefully?

If I were to live in a modern-looking house, I would go with a more simplistic and stark design like the Philip Johnson Glass House:

483130461_0c44ff7ea8.jpg

I always wanted to live in a bus stop

Originally Posted by hypersonic
It is very driven by magazines like Wallpaper* -- and the whole 'lifestyle' thing.
Mid-century Modern has become the new taste of the bourgeoisie -- boxes filled with Florence knoll, Arne Jacobsen, George Nelson, and Charles and Ray Eames.

shh maffoolfan might hear you

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The Glass House uses modern technology (large scale glass panes and minimal steel structure) to limit the visual obstruction between a home owner and nature. What you don't get is a suffocating faux historical revival home that is outdated in both construction technique and function (unused dining rooms, small living room etc.). Instead you get abundant sunlight that varies in tone and angles 365 days of the year with no need for artificial daylighting, a serene view of the outdoors, and a quiet machine for functional and healthy living. Or a bus stop as you comprehend. I'd take it any day over the assumed lifeless ************* you're probably living in.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The Glass House uses modern technology (large scale glass panes and minimal steel structure) to limit the visual obstruction between a home owner and nature. What you don't get is a suffocating faux historical revival home that is outdated in both construction technique and function (unused dining rooms, small living room etc.). Instead you get abundant sunlight that varies in tone and angles 365 days of the year with no need for artificial daylighting, a serene view of the outdoors, and a quiet machine for functional and healthy living. Or a bus stop as you comprehend. I'd take it any day over the assumed lifeless ************* you're probably living in.

lulz why so touchy, did your dad design that bus stop? You sound like you could use some serenity, take a deep breath, it will be ok

I live under a tarp, blows the bus stop out of the water in terms of visual obstruction, abundant sunlight, serene view of the outdoors, and healthy living

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics