• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta area tailor

cds311

Reaction score
Hello! You all seem like an extremely knowledgeable group of people and can probably help me here. I am desperately in need of a good tailor in the Atlanta area (preferably toward the northeast side of the city). I know of both Sid Mashburn's tailors and Mario Bosco. They are both great and probably the best two tailors in the city. I am just wondering what else in out there. I have recently lost a good bit of weight and have about seven suits I would like tailored down and up to my new size. In an effort to save time and money I have already taken two suits to randon places (one to an alterations places in a dry cleaners and one to a "tailor" in Macy's). Big mistake. Lesson learned. (Well, not that I didn't already know that was a big mistake, but I was trying to save money!)

So, who do you guys like for tailors in Atlanta? I want someone who is going to listen to what I SAY I WANT, not someone that will TELL ME WHAT THEY WANT my alterred suit to look like. That has been my biggest hurdle, is finding someone that listens to what I want and helps me achieve it.

EDIT: I have looked through all the old threads and have not found much info aside from the obvious (Sid Mashburn and Mario Bosco), which is why I made this topic again.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an Iranian (Persian) tailor in the Brooks Brothers store in Lenox mall . He has his own shop also. You can go meet him there at BB and get his card to visit his store.

He has altered a few things for me as I've also lost a bit of weight, and he did a very good job.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
There is a Iranian (Persian) tailor in the Brooks Brothers store in Lenox mall . He has his own shop also. You can go meet him there at BB and get his card to visit his store.

He has altered a few things for me as I've also lost a bit of weight, and he did a very good job.

He's done some work for me too. Takes the time to answer questions. Very personable. Does a great job.

cds311

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. Funny, I was just in BB Lenox yesterday, but didn't think to ask for their tailor. I thought they only did work on their clothing after you purchase it there, that's why I didn't bother asking for the tailor.

How are this guys prices? And does anyone know his name, or do I just go in there and ask for the tailor?

Anyone else know of other good tailors in the Atlanta area?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may also try Honk Kong Tailors on Buford Hwy, they are cheaper than Mario and do a decent job.It also depends on how much weight you lost and the scope of alterations, maybe you shouldn't try to alter your suits at all, there is just so much a tailor can do.

cds311

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
You may also try Honk Kong Tailors on Buford Hwy, they are cheaper than Mario and do a decent job.It also depends on how much weight you lost and the scope of alterations, maybe you shouldn't try to alter your suits at all, there is just so much a tailor can do.

You may be right about. Aside from the normal alterations from losing weight (taking pants and jacket in), a few of my suits are regulars (40R), when they should be shorts (now 38S). Can a tailor take up the length of the jacket to make it fit like a short?

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cds311
Thanks for the quick replies. Funny, I was just in BB Lenox yesterday, but didn't think to ask for their tailor. I thought they only did work on their clothing after you purchase it there, that's why I didn't bother asking for the tailor.

How are this guys prices? And does anyone know his name, or do I just go in there and ask for the tailor?

Anyone else know of other good tailors in the Atlanta area?

I have his card at home, and will get you his name later tonight or tomorrow. He cannot alter your stuff at the BB store, but he will have you call him and come over to his store and he'll take care of you. He is pricier than your Laundry/Alteration joints, but not by much ... Example: He charged me 58 dollars to switch a pleated pants to flat front, whereas European Alterations at Peachtree Battle charge 45 and do similar work. I currently rotate between the two places depending on the sentimental nature of the garment. Overall I think both places do a good job.

cds311

Reaction score

So, I have also heard a little bit about Honk Kong Tailors. Do you like them? Do they listen to you and do what you want?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be right about. Aside from the normal alterations from losing weight (taking pants and jacket in), a few of my suits are regulars (40R), when they should be shorts (now 38S). Can a tailor take up the length of the jacket to make it fit like a short?

Jacket length can be shortened by 0.75-1" at the most,you may give it a try.I have a feeling that you will end up paying a lot of money for alterations that are not worth it.Maybe gain weight back?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have also heard a little bit about Honk Kong Tailors. Do you like them? Do they listen to you and do what you want?

I used them in the past, they are not bad.I never had a problem and they did what I wanted so I am not sure what to say.Sometimes they provide their input but it is up to you to make the last call.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket length can be shortened by 0.75-1" at the most,you may give it a try.I have a feeling that you will end up paying a lot of money for alterations that are not worth it.Maybe gain weight back?

I agree, anything greater than 1" and the pocket will look off with respect to the length of the jacket. Also, the gape/parting in the skirt will probably become out of wack too.

If you do do it, please take before and after pics for us to see
smile.gif

cds311

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
I agree, anything greater than 1" and the pocket will look off with respect to the length of the jacket. Also, the gape/parting in the skirt will probably become out of wack too.

If you do do it, please take before and after pics for us to see
smile.gif

Probably not going to happen. I called around today and most everyone told me anywhere from $150-$400. I have seven suits I want tailored. It's not worth it, not even for one.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I used them in the past, they are not bad.I never had a problem and they did what I wanted so I am not sure what to say.Sometimes they provide their input but it is up to you to make the last call.

Hong Kong tailor is very good. I found the quality much more consistent than other, shall we say, Piedmont area tailors.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
+1 for Hong Kong Tailors. I've had nothing but positive experiences. Neil is great.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Hong Kong tailor is very good. I found the quality much more consistent than other, shall we say, Piedmont area tailors.

I agree,HKT is good. Both tailors screwed up some stuff for me but always fixed it,never had problems with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads