• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How will suits be worn in the near future?

Psyren

Reaction score
I was watching Friends earlier today and thought of this idea. Ross was wearing a pretty whack suit, circa '90s, and then afterwards HIMYM came on and Barney was all GQ'd up. How will people suit up in the near future?

Sentence structure is lazy, I know, I'm tired.

ED3B2AF5-A53C-449D-B1FB-B392171D5B38_extra.jpg

large_himym-yr3.jpg

Honestly, I can't see how it could get any better. I think we've mastered the suit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shinier fabrics, per FNB:

billinspace.jpg

Evil men, however, will continue with the fresco and necktie getup.

- B

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is this 'we' you speak of?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psyren
I was watching Friends earlier today and thought of this idea. Ross was wearing a pretty whack suit, circa '90s, and then afterwards HIMYM came on and Barney was all GQ'd up. How will people suit up in the near future? Sentence structure is lazy, I know, I'm tired.
ED3B2AF5-A53C-449D-B1FB-B392171D5B38_extra.jpg
large_himym-yr3.jpg
Honestly, I can't see how it could get any better. I think we've mastered the suit.

That is "GQ'd" up...4 button suits are as ghetto as it gets, as well as 3 buttons which are unflattering to any body. That does not impress me.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
That is "GQ'd" up...4 button suits are as ghetto as it gets, as well as 3 buttons which are unflattering to any body. That does not impress me.
+1 to this. There is nothing "GQ" about 4 button suits. If he lost one and rolled the second then we'd be talking. As for how things will be worn in the future, I think everything has gotten as "slim" as it will get, so despite the fact that fashion is cyclical, men's fashion its easily predictable, and as such, things will only get wider and bulkier. It's the only thing that can happen.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think FRIENDS was ever a good show to judge how humans should dress. I thought that Chandler's white t shirt and vest combo was always the epitome of stupid. I don't think the show is quite as revered as Arrested Development is by SF (in terms of entertainment value).

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The office suits of the future will be lead by Raf Simons and Thom Browne.

rs3.jpg

3542561101_af194d5d46_o.jpg

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabrics will be better and softer ofcourse without losing drape or getting wrinkled.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm pretty sure this one is the present, if you add an eyepatch.
SoCal is always leading men to the future.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flashy more dressy suits to me worn when "dressing up" for an ocasion such as weddings funerals and presentations meeting clients. Suits in the work place will continue declining I think.

People are really over the half suit which is very 90s starting to see a resurgence in seperate jackets and even seperate jackets and trousers worn together.

I think in the imediate future double breasted will try yet again to come back but it will fail to brake through to the masses.

Maybe we will see more three piece suits off the rack. There is certainly a demand in Bespoke. Most of the suits I make are 3 piece and I am a younger (relatively) guy dealing with younger clients.

What I like about suits though is that they are at once simple and complex. Cut/style will always change and evolve even if subtley.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads