• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)

mansard_roof

Reaction score
Anime:
Cowboy Bebop
Samuria Camploo
Naruto
Gundam Wing
Trigun
Gintama

Manga:
Naruto
D. Greyman
One Piece
Gin Tama

I recomend using www.mangafox.com it has a lot of manga's on there for free viewing and you can brows by topic.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
I don't watch much, but I did enjoy Serial Experiments Lain (1998).

(Disclaimer - I watched it almost 10 years ago, so its me as a 15 year old that's recommending it)

I never seen the complete series but from the episodes I've seen, just when I thought I "got it" I became even more confused.

I've always enjoyed "Perfect Blue" in terms of stand alone ova.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
frown.gif

I would say I had you on ignore but that doesn't really hold up since I'm responding to you does it?

Do not ignore me
frown.gif

tacitvs

Reaction score
Some of these have already been listed, but were so good that I had to keep them on my short list anyway. I tried not to go on and on but still ended up with quite a few. You may want to check out the reviews first at THEM Anime Reviews to see if it is what you are looking for. Series: FLCL (6 eps, short and fun/weird, awesome soundtrack) Trigun (26 eps) RahXephon (26 eps, sort of an Evangelion copycat, but I love the story) Rurouni Kenshin (tons of eps, gets a little repetetive in the middle, but lots of fun) Escaflowne (26 eps, fantasy/modern day mix, good story) Cowboy Bebop (26 eps must watch if you haven't already) Gungrave (g26 eps, great story, lost of violence) Full Metal Alchemist (51 eps, starts kinda cute but gets weird, intriguing, but whats new right?) Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (26 eps, best of the Ghost series IMO) Movies Akira (of course) Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro (older, cute story and good intro to Lupin) The Girl who Leapt through Time Ghibli Studio Movies - these are my top four Laputa - Castle in the Sky Howls Moving Castle Porco Rosso Whisper of the Heart

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I recently re-read:

This is greenwood/Here is Greenwood
Hana Yori Dango
Maison Ikkoku

I like cheesy romance with either humour or drama. Ongoing series I like:

Nana
Comme elles (dunno the *** or eng name)

That kind of stuff.

Vagabond and slam dunk are also good.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
I know it's already been mentioned, but Rouroni Kenshin was incredible. Then again, my favorite anime was dictated by what Toonami played in the early aughts, so maybe that's not so helpful.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I recently re-read:

This is greenwood/Here is Greenwood
Hana Yori Dango
Maison Ikkoku

I like cheesy romance with either humour or drama. Ongoing series I like:

Nana
Comme elles (dunno the *** or eng name)

That kind of stuff.

Vagabond and slam dunk are also good.

Have you read Video Girl AI? Just finished a while ago and I liked it, despite the cheese factor there was some genuine romance in the story. Manga was stretched out kind of long, but the OAV is pretty good IMO.

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
HunterXHunter (Manga) - So sad that the quality took such a dive, it was another shounen series I rather liked a bit. But as the story went on it seemed to drag, artwork quality took a dive, and it felt like it was going nowhere. Still pretty good up until the Greed Island arc.

inlove.gif

Regarding the quality of the chapters, I'm told that they really fixed it up for the volume releases. As I don't read manga, I can't be certain. I can also only recommend anime too, so:

Fullmetal Alchemist (FMA) to replace HxH. By all accounts the manga is really good. For anime there was a series released several years ago at 51 episodes long, and half way through created a new storyline which was different to the manga. There is a new series currently being released called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is starts from the beginning again, but will follow the manga faithfully.

Death Note to replace Monster. Since you've already started I think you should finish. This in the only series I've read the manga for, and I think the anime version is better. 37 eps.

Claymore to replace Berserk. I didn't think much of the series, and I have not seen Berserk, but I think people refer to it as Berserk-lite. The two series seem to be grouped together quite a lot, and the manga is considered much better than the anime. 26 eps.

Baccano! to replace Cowboy Bebop. I found the two very similar in style, although not in story. Very much under the radar, so you won't suffer from the hype issue you had with Bebop. 13 eps.

If you say what you liked about Fruits Basket, maybe I can make a shojo suggestion, but probably not since my experience in those shows is very limited. Maybe along the lines of "by all acocunts I'm told you should watch x..."

Other suggestions are Mushishi as mentioned earlier. Great visuals, single episode stories. 26 eps.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Have you read Video Girl AI? Just finished a while ago and I liked it, despite the cheese factor there was some genuine romance in the story. Manga was stretched out kind of long, but the OAV is pretty good IMO.

Yeah I've read Video girl ai and other Katsura series (II's, DNA2). Started Zetman and might read some more at some point, it's more sci-fi/superhero.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the series mentioned here Billy Bat is shaping up to be a great manga. Pluto is finished. A classic is Lone Wolf and Cub.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only (highly) recommend Cowboy Bebop.
Good thread though.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
My favorite of all time has already been mentioned: Berserk.

Elfen Lied
Basilisk
Wolf's Rain

I've not read much manga (besides Berserk) so can't offer much there.

You should read the Elfen Lied manga, it goes beyond the anime story. Haven't read it personally myself but I've sampled some stuff, looks good if you liked the anime (I did, but I thought it took a nose dive near the end).

tacitvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by killua
inlove.gif
Fullmetal Alchemist (FMA) to replace HxH. By all accounts the manga is really good. For anime there was a series released several years ago at 51 episodes long, and half way through created a new storyline which was different to the manga. There is a new series currently being released called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is starts from the beginning again, but will follow the manga faithfully.

I didn't know that, I will have to watch for it. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics