• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Leather Soul Jumper Boots http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...-jumper-boots/
j1.jpg
I think they look great.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
the unlined chukka is ok, but IMO is not the best of their chukkas

What do you recommend then? I'm thinking of getting the unlined chukkas... have to try them on in store first though.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
The shell chukkas are fantastic. I love the material and they're supremely comfortable.

Speaking of Alden Barrie last shoes, I have a question to toss out and gather opinions on. I am rather new around here and I have cruised through previous threads discussing Alden sizing. I have several pairs of the chukkas and my foot slides around a little bit (not enough to be uncomfortable, but still) in them and they have huge creases. I actually returned a pair of PTB I purchased in my usual size (9E) for that very reason. It's one thing for my foot to slide around a bit in the chukkas, but with the PTB, I felt like the shoe would fall off my foot. I have spent the last few years building a nice little collection of Aldens, experimenting with different lasts/sizes along the way. Some of these experiments have worked out very badly, hence, I am a little nervous about making another expensive mistake. Since the 9E in the PTB seem a tad too big, I decided my next purchase on the Barrie last would be an 8.5E. Part of me wishes in retrospect I had bought the chukkas in 8.5E, but oh well. At any rate, I received a pair of whiskey LWB in 8.5E today. Very stoked about them. They feel pretty good on my foot, BUT...as all of my other Aldens are 9D, 9E or 9.5D (depending on the last), I am approaching with caution. There's a little bit of heel slippage. Is this a product of the new, stiff sole and will that ease up once I begin to wear them? For frame of reference, I have shoes on the Grant last in 9E and 9.5D that are comfortable, Aberdeen lasted shoes in 9E, Trubalance Indys in 9E that I love, Hampton last shoes in 9E and 9.5D that work, Plaza lasted shoes in 9E that are great, in addition to the chukkas on the Barrie last which are a touch generous in 9E. I also have a pair of whiskey shell LHS on the Van last which do not work at all due to my high instep.

So, Trubalance is my fave, Plaza and Grant 2 and 2a. The others are ok. Barrie I approach with caution. Bottom line, are my fears about the sizing on the LWB unfounded? Thoughts? Thanks!

jpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
The shell chukkas are fantastic. I love the material and they're supremely comfortable. Speaking of Alden Barrie last shoes, I have a question to toss out and gather opinions on. I am rather new around here and I have cruised through previous threads discussing Alden sizing. I have several pairs of the chukkas and my foot slides around a little bit (not enough to be uncomfortable, but still) in them and they have huge creases. I actually returned a pair of PTB I purchased in my usual size (9E) for that very reason. It's one thing for my foot to slide around a bit in the chukkas, but with the PTB, I felt like the shoe would fall off my foot. I have spent the last few years building a nice little collection of Aldens, experimenting with different lasts/sizes along the way. Some of these experiments have worked out very badly, hence, I am a little nervous about making another expensive mistake. Since the 9E in the PTB seem a tad too big, I decided my next purchase on the Barrie last would be an 8.5E. Part of me wishes in retrospect I had bought the chukkas in 8.5E, but oh well. At any rate, I received a pair of whiskey LWB in 8.5E today. Very stoked about them. They feel pretty good on my foot, BUT...as all of my other Aldens are 9D, 9E or 9.5D (depending on the last), I am approaching with caution. There's a little bit of heel slippage. Is this a product of the new, stiff sole and will that ease up once I begin to wear them? For frame of reference, I have shoes on the Grant last in 9E and 9.5D that are comfortable, Aberdeen lasted shoes in 9E, Trubalance Indys in 9E that I love, Hampton last shoes in 9E and 9.5D that work, Plaza lasted shoes in 9E that are great, in addition to the chukkas on the Barrie last which are a touch generous in 9E. I also have a pair of whiskey shell LHS on the Van last which do not work at all due to my high instep. So, Trubalance is my fave, Plaza and Grant 2 and 2a. The others are ok. Barrie I approach with caution. Bottom line, are my fears about the sizing on the LWB unfounded? Thoughts? Thanks!
I have to ask, are the Shell Chukka's really this high-shine? Or is this just the pic?
1339.jpg

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not regularly, but its up to you and how you treat it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Alden Barrie last shoes, I have a question . . . So, Trubalance is my fave, Plaza and Grant 2 and 2a. The others are ok. Barrie I approach with caution. Bottom line, are my fears about the sizing on the LWB unfounded? Thoughts? Thanks!
Super tough question to answer given the nature of feet. What part of your foot is so wide you need an E? Do you have a thick, meaty, Australian ankle or a thin ankle with wide-spread New England duck toes? Where is the shoe moving around on your foot? 9E in Trubalance / 9E in Plaza --> 8.5E in Barrie sounds conventional enough. What's the worst can happen if you wear them a year and they never feel great? Consolation prize: a good excuse to buy another pair? That's not the worst thing that can happen to someone.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha meaty australian feet.

So true.

Im jonesing over those full brogue boots.

Alden of Carmel has them in tan and the dark brown, which is awesome.

That and the vintage Indys at leather soul will do me well.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Need me some crepe soled chromexcel plain toes.

rayuela

Reaction score
Just received a pair of these Brown Calfskin Chukka boots from TSM: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html They are brown calfskin Chukkas with what they call "lightweight microcellular outsoles and heels." I really love these boots, but unfortunately the size I received is wrong and they don't have any left in my size. I know these are custom made for TSM, but has anyone seen something similar elsewhere: brown calfskin Chukka with microcellular sole? I especially like this sole as it is soft but relatively thin compared to the other commando-type rubber soles I've seen on Aldens. Any help is appreciated.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the new Leather Soul jumper. I wish I wasn't broke or I'd order a pair.

I wonder if they have ultimate Indy's in a 11.5.....hmmm.....I could really use a pair of those and they are a little less $$$.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Super tough question to answer given the nature of feet. What part of your foot is so wide you need an E? Do you have a thick, meaty, Australian ankle or a thin ankle with wide-spread New England duck toes? Where is the shoe moving around on your foot? 9E in Trubalance / 9E in Plaza --> 8.5E in Barrie sounds conventional enough. What's the worst can happen if you wear them a year and they never feel great? Consolation prize: a good excuse to buy another pair? That's not the worst thing that can happen to someone.
Haha, well, my wife may disown me if I keep buying Aldens. I happen to have a fairly thick ankle and a wide forefoot with a very high instep. The chukkas in 9E allow my foot to slide forward and back a little bit. The width feels pretty good. I think the 8.5E in the LWB will work...or at least I am crossing my fingers this will be the case. If not, I don't think I will have too much trouble finding a willing taker for a pair of whiskey shells!

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Haha, well, my wife may disown me if I keep buying Aldens. I happen to have a fairly thick ankle and a wide forefoot with a very high instep. The chukkas in 9E allow my foot to slide forward and back a little bit. The width feels pretty good. I think the 8.5E in the LWB will work...or at least I am crossing my fingers this will be the case. If not, I don't think I will have too much trouble finding a willing taker for a pair of whiskey shells!
You should give the modified last a shot if you get a chance. It sounds like it might work well for you. The problems that you're having with some of the other lasts might be due to their arches being too wide for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads