• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dark, what's the name of the sauce you bought for the bulgogi? My wife loves it, but haole don't cook it.
laugh.gif

Tonight will be the following courses:

Scallop and Oyster, "liquid corn on the cob" + citrus remoulade, lemon salt
Paired with 2008 sauvignon blanc

Foie gras, no write up on presentation, 1995 Sauternes

Pork + sausage, bacon wrappend tenderloin, apple + dark berry chutney, zin gastrique, paired with a 2005 Zin

Home made oxtail ravioli, heirloom tomato, white beans, fresh parm, paired with a 2005 Super Tuscan

Cast iron hanger steak, celery root mashed potato, roasted root veg, paired with 1999 Cab

desert course is still a mystery from the chef.

Yeah...I am balling tonight
wink.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ Where the hell are you getting all that?

Bulgogi sauce should be pretty readily available at any Asian market. The one near me has at least 10 different varieties, and the meat shelves are verily lined with bottle after bottle after bottle...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
^ Where the hell are you getting all that?

Bulgogi sauce should be pretty readily available at any Asian market. The one near me has at least 10 different varieties, and the meat shelves are verily lined with bottle after bottle after bottle...

Will look next time I go to the Asian market.

Headed out to my favorite place, that is hosting a dinner by a fairly decent winery from Sonoma. Taking tomorrow off work to recover.
wink.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Dark, what's the name of the sauce you bought for the bulgogi? My wife loves it, but haole don't cook it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Douglas
^ Where the hell are you getting all that? Bulgogi sauce should be pretty readily available at any Asian market. The one near me has at least 10 different varieties, and the meat shelves are verily lined with bottle after bottle after bottle...
What he said ^^. I actually bought mine from a Korean grocery store. They have better pre-sliced meats there, IMO. (I actually love the pre-sliced meat section at the Korean grocery store--they're just all perfectly sliced and conveniently packaged.) I just chopped up some garlic and sliced up an onion, then added them to the frozen pork belly slices along with the sauce; let marinate for about an hour and cook over a flat griddle. You can add scallion to the mix, but since I don't like scallion, I left it out.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
4am drank noodles: korean noodles, dumplings, kimchi, dried shallots, and condiments:

dsc2371.jpg

Spicy!

Did you make this or from a restaurant? Looks fantastic.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask, I made a pork belly bulgogi tonight (store bought sauce--don't shoot me), with steamed broccoli and kimchi.

SRIRACHA ON EVERYTHING.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Did you make this or from a restaurant? Looks fantastic.

My 4am drank noodles? Everything was made from scratch!

j/k

Not! Packaged Korean noodles (without the seasoning), frozen dumplings, store bought kimchi, and various condiments I stock in my pantry just in case I have a 4am craving for drank noodles.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 4am drank noodles? Everything was made from scratch!

j/k

Not! Packaged Korean noodles (without the seasoning), frozen dumplings, store bought kimchi, and various condiments I stock in my pantry just in case I have a 4am craving for drank noodles.

I'm just impressed you were able to not only cook teh noodles but also snap a photo (not a bad one either) while so drank.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I'm just impressed you were able to not only cook teh noodles but also snap a photo (not a bad one either) while so drank.

I'm a steady drunk.
teacha.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
LOL@ Dark. Just showed my wife the pic of your bulgogi and she said you shouldn't have Rooster sauce there but kochujang sauce.
smile.gif
Btw, dinner wtfpwned last night. We were even thanked on the menu for the "Chef's Course" of foie. We sat with the husband/wife owner of the place and the owner of the winery that was hosting the dinner. Best (non-foie) dish was the home made oxtail ravioli. In-effing-credible. Glad I took off work today. I was feeling tender, as we started cocktails at 5.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL@ Dark. Just showed my wife the pic of your bulgogi and she said you shouldn't have Rooster sauce there but kochujang sauce.
smile.gif

Btw, dinner wtfpwned last night. We were even thanked on the menu for the "Chef's Course" of foie. We sat with the husband/wife owner of the place and the owner of the winery that was hosting the dinner. Best (non-foie) dish was the home made oxtail ravioli. In-effing-credible.

Glad I took off work today. I was feeling tender, as we started cocktails at 5.

Well...thanks to your wife. I'll see to it that I have the kochujang sauce next time instead of ******* sauce.

Sounds like your dinner was 50% fat and 30% booze.
smile.gif
Homemade oxtail ravioli sounds awesome! I love oxtail, whatever version it comes in.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well...thanks to your wife. I'll see to it that I have the kochujang sauce next time instead of ******* sauce.

Sounds like your dinner was 50% fat and 30% booze.
smile.gif
Homemade oxtail ravioli sounds awesome! I love oxtail, whatever version it comes in.

She was just kidding...I mean, we use Korean nori for our spam musubi's
laugh.gif
She does want a brand suggestion for the bulgogi sauce though.

Yeah, I'm going to suggest to the owner the oxtail goes on the menu, unless it's too much labour cost (which I suspect it might be). It was the best dish there (other than the foie).

I was getting pretty hammered by the last course, the hangar steak.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She was just kidding...I mean, we use Korean nori for our spam musubi's
laugh.gif
She does want a brand suggestion for the bulgogi sauce though.

I tossed out the bottle already, and I don't recall the name. Next time, I'll let you know.

But it might've been this one, the bottle looks familiar:

2003_default.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks. Might head to a market today.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
monday night in Bogota beans, pork and rice. Wed in Sao Paolo, beans, pork and rice. both very different takes on the dish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads