• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Two great posts, Pand. Your love of wine shows through the prose and the care in your descriptions shine. I have the former and I shall try to replicate the latter.

Cheers, Anthony

cheers.gif

Just trying to do the best I can in helping to spread the vinho love
inlove.gif
Sometimes I find it just as enjoyable writting a descriptive ode to a beautiful bottle of wine as I do drinking it
smile.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I usually just take them out of the case, snap a picture, add them into Cellar Tracker, and toss them into the cellar. Drinking a few select 05s now, will have them all gone by 2012.

Man I'd love to see your cellar!!! LOL Those Pinots look delish
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Pio's Turley pics show off more bottles than I have in my cellar
laugh.gif

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Turley is pretty much credited for making Zin a "serious" wine. For quite some time, it was the standard for Zin.

I really loved zins in the mid 90's, but today many are way too fruit bomby for me. I've been largely ignoring them now, favoring the southern Rhones for the spicy/peppery thing I used to love getting from zins back then.

How's the Turley with respect to fruit bomby-ness? I had a Ridge zin a few months ago that was much better as blackberry jam than as wine. I swear it had some residual sugar . . .

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I really loved zins in the mid 90's, but today many are way too fruit bomby for me. I've been largely ignoring them now, favoring the southern Rhones for the spicy/peppery thing I used to love getting from zins back then.

How's the Turley with respect to fruit bomby-ness? I had a Ridge zin a few months ago that was much better as blackberry jam than as wine. I swear it had some residual sugar . . .

It depends on the vintage and the vineyard, but Turley doesn't usually taste "hot," the way so many CA Zins do. While it is certainly fruit forward, you can get nice spice, pepper, smoke, and leather. Turley is the only Zin allocation I get, and since its prices are getting out of line, I only buy a six pack or so. The case I have pictured was purchased on the secondary market.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I had a Ridge zin a few months ago that was much better as blackberry jam than as wine. I swear it had some residual sugar . . .

I had the Ridge Geyserville (70% Zin) on the weekend. I didn't find that at all. Mind you, I dont mind a bit of jammy goodness. But, like you, I really dislike fruit bombs.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Ridge is an excellent producer, usually right up there on my list if I have to have a California wine.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tasted a 2006 Wild Hog Vineyard Zinfandel Estate over the weekend that seemed quite nice...my first Zin tasting though...bare that in mind
smile.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had these Zins lately. Inexpensive to the Ridge. Enjoyed them all.

Artezin
Gundlach Bundschu
Four Vines
Ridge
Beaulieu

Even an Ironstone Old Vines $10 bottle.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
As to the question of merlots, it's hard to put my finger on it. A good merlot has an amzingly smooth, velvetty feel to it. But the flavor is a little lacking. I either want the jammy, spicy, zesty punch you in the face flavor of a Shiraz, Zin or Cab, or I want a subtle and nuanced Pinot. Merlot falls in between these two and doesn't do much for me. I will say this. I don't touch the French wines much as I just don't know much about them. I can spend the rest of my life drinking nothing but Californian and Australian wines and never regret it. The Frenches seem almost overwhelming of an undertaking to learn. Maybe I just don't want to step out of my comfort zone or I'm intimidated. I did have a great French recently. Domaine La Garrigue - Vacqueyras Red Rhone. About $22/bottle here in St. Louis and paired perfectly with the grilled meatloaf I did. Yeah, I grill just about everything (Chicken Cordon Bleu, Crostinis, Romaine Lettuce, among others, along with old stand bys of steak, ribs, brisket, etc). Back to the wine. This stuff was amazing:
Red+Rhone.JPG
decanted.JPG
And yes my kitchen table does have grape vines custom stenciled onto it. I was actually looking for a merlot to pair with the meat loaf as I felt a Shiraz/Zin/Cab might over power it and it would overpower a Pinot. This is what was recommended to me and I enjoyed it. But I don't normally go this route.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might like that Claar Cellar Cabernet-Merlot I posted today. It just might be the middle ground you are looking for and at $13.99 it is easy on the budget.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Great thread...I look forward to sampling some of these suggestions.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always pick up things that seem unusual or something I wouldn't normally try. This stuff is awesome and should definitely be picked up if you guys can find it in your area.
1040293x.jpg
[/IMG]

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight, Etude 2006 Pinot Noir, Carneros ~ Estate.

Probably the best PN I've had since the Merry Edwards at the last SF in SF meetup. It started off nicely, but after an hour in the decant it started opening up nicely and after two hours it's really, really good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads