• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the wedding is specifically designated as casual, it would just come off as jackassy or arrogant.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqcao
i have a wedding coming up. i'm just a regular guest; nothing special. since i've always wear a tie to weddings, this time i'm thinking of doing something different: wearing a suit with a nice french cuff shirt with no tie. is it too casual? i know almost everyone wear a suit or shirt and tie to a wedding. am i being disrespect for not wearing a tie??

It entirely depends upon the nature of the ceremony and the principals.

If they are in full morning dress then this would be inappropriate, then you can range from a lounge suit to a a setting on a Caribbean beach.

Judge it against that

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by williamson
PLEASE don't wear a suit without a tie! This sloppy look has reached epidemic proportions. A tie gives the opportunity for colour and flair.
If you don't want to wear a tie, don't wear a suit.
W.

I do think there are occasions when you can go casual. I like clubbing with a suit sans tie and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I know the more traditional members consider it a sartorial sin (and I agree it is, though whether it is mortal or venial is up for debate) but I like the look in that context. I just draw the line at more formal events.

Of course, given the amount of chinos/running shoes/button down shirts I've seen at weddings, wakes, funerals, etc., not wearing a tie with a suit is definitely a relative sin.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Of course, given the amount of chinos/running shoes/button down shirts I've seen at weddings, wakes, funerals, etc., not wearing a tie with a suit is definitely a relative sin.

You make an interesting point. Yet, in many cases, I'd find myself more bothered by the lack of tie than by the chinos. Most folks I see in khakis at such events I assume don a jacket or tie rarely, if ever. For them, they are "dressed up." But if I were to see a guy in a suit with no tie, I'd assume he knew better but couldn't be bothered. The tie's absence, in its specificity, becomes an insult.

I'm sure I'm being too kind/vaguely patronizing to the khaki crowd at such events, but there you have it. My point, I suppose, is that dressing in a suit with no tie sends a very specific signal about how important you deem the event: "I could have worn a tie, but I didn't."

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are being too kind. At least a suit with a tie presumes someone at least put some thought -- even if careless or insulting -- into what they were wearing. Showing up to a wake, as I saw some do so not long ago, wearing a golf shirt, chinos and running shoes sends the message that paying respect to the family rises to the same level as mowing your lawn. I could have danced in their blood that evening I was so disgusted.

Either way, I agree with you, it's incredibly disrespectful.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Go with the tie.

This business of trying to get away with as sloppy a look as you can possibly get away for some sort of alleged 'coolness' has got to the point that everybody looks so sloppy that dressing down fails to make any statement.

Dress to kill. Learn how to wear a suit complete with the tie and pocket square. That definitely will make a statement that will set you apart from a crowd of people who look totally awkward in suits because they only wear them when forced to at weddings and funerals.

spookykl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to a wedding and was thinking of going wearing a suit with no tie, but with pocket square (and probably the first button of my shirt unbuttoned - the neck button that is). What do you guys think? Is that ok?

It's going to be held at a church and the family is pretty religious - Christian. There will be about 400 people at the ceremony and then, the dinner/reception.

Please let me know soon! Coming up this weekend. Thanks!

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
You can never be over-dressed, only under-dressed.

Disagree, but yeah...wear a tie if it's anything other than a casual wedding.

bafield

Reaction score
If they're getting married in Cancun and the reception is at the poolside bar, then don't wear a tie. Otherwise, wear one! I think that people who show up to formal events under dressed are doucy...if that's a word!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear a tie unless it was announced as a very casual wedding.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
It may be a generational thing. In my own humble opinion, suits look better without ties. I have always felt that most men wearing ties look pinched and uncomfortable. But a good, well fitted suit looks smart, simple and sophisticated, while the open V shape of the (tieless) collar adds a dash of flair and draws attention to your face.
Use your own best judgment. I don't think not wearing a tie will be taken as anything other than your own style preference, with which some people will always find fault.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Caber
It may be a generational thing. In my own humble opinion, suits look better without ties. I have always felt that most men wearing ties look pinched and uncomfortable. But a good, well fitted suit looks smart, simple and sophisticated, while the open V shape of the (tieless) collar adds a dash of flair and draws attention to your face.
Use your own best judgment. I don't think not wearing a tie will be taken as anything other than your own style preference, with which some people will always find fault.

The answer was posted 3 years ago

Originally Posted by gorgekko
Your statement reminds me of something that Russell Smith wrote in his recent book Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress: It's not always about you. You dress appropriately for certain occasions to show respect for other people. If that's too much of an imposition, stay home.

And a suit always looks better with a tie!

courty

Reaction score
A suit without a tie looks terrible. It does not even look casual - more like the wearer was out all night after work and lost his tie somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads