• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
James Smith & Son Elsbeere solid stick with navy canopy and metal ferrule. Measured for 1.7M tall individual.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Gaz

where's mine gas?
angry.gif
sly.gif

Lucy J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Very nice umbrella. I like the canopy color.

Lovely umbrella - can I ask the price (for comparison purposes with a Brigg)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice umbrella. Interesting that when I ordered mine from JS&S, they told me it would take some time to source the "right grade of material in navy blue" so I changed to grey (which I'm actually very happy about now). I wonder if they just ran out or if that's because mine is 10-rib and 26".

Lucy J

Reaction score
Now that the autumn rains have come to replace our warm and dry September, it's time for me to get the Briggs out of the umbrella stand again. However, I am wondering about a solid stick James Smith brolly to add to my collection, possibly in dark green or chocolate. How do you James Smith users feel about the quality of their umbrellas?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Can someone tell me what the benefit (if any) is to a solid stick umbrella vs. metal shaft?

I assume solid stick can be cut to the user's requirements but is there any structural advantage to solid stick?

Assuming a sufficiently robust material, the only advantage is that the the join between handle and spine has no demarcation, and thus, will not loosen over time. In a correctly constructed composite umbrella, one would hope that this is not an issue, but it often is, especially with cheap umbrellas.

The disadvantage of solid stick is weight and girth. Traditionally, a city umbrella should be light and slim.

- B

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Assuming a sufficiently robust material, the only advantage is that the the join between handle and spine has no demarcation, and thus, will not loosen over time. In a correctly constructed composite umbrella, one would hope that this is not an issue, but it often is, especially with cheap umbrellas.

The disadvantage of solid stick is weight and girth. Traditionally, a city umbrella should be light and slim.

- B

Thanks - I asked because I've been eyeing some of Chorse's Briggs metal shaft umbrellas up on HY.com.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, Papworth has some Briggs seconds available again - the oak one is nice. A bit more expensive than what I paid for my maple though.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Very nice umbrella. I like the canopy color.
Thanks. I felt that the blue would contrast well with the redness of the elsbeere.
Originally Posted by Lucy J
Lovely umbrella - can I ask the price (for comparison purposes with a Brigg)?
I was quoted 185GBP. Cheaper than Briggs I would wager.
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nice umbrella. Interesting that when I ordered mine from JS&S, they told me it would take some time to source the "right grade of material in navy blue" so I changed to grey (which I'm actually very happy about now). I wonder if they just ran out or if that's because mine is 10-rib and 26".
That's a probably good enough reason that yours is 10-ribs. Would love to see your 10-rib.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The disadvantage of solid stick is weight and girth. Traditionally, a city umbrella should be light and slim. - B
True, but I like the weight of a solid stick. Thoughts on this:
orig.jpg
Its an Arnys' umbrella. Regretting that I didn't purchase one when I was there. They had some spectacular offering but they were pricier than the English umbrellas, namely Fox and JS&S.

Lear

Reaction score
It was pouring with rain today, just as I happened to be passing the SAB shop. Here's a quick pic to show that the PoW sterling cap can be added to a solid stick umbrella. The photo is not so good, but the oak colour in the pic is pretty true to life. Best I can do for now. Size is 27" and the wood is oak. Should it have come with a nylon cover?
dscf0219.jpg
dscf0220.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k

True, but I like the weight of a solid stick. Thoughts on this:

orig.jpg

Its an Arnys' umbrella. Regretting that I didn't purchase one when I was there. They had some spectacular offering but they were pricier than the English umbrellas, namely Fox and JS&S.

that brolly is lookin right. i'd do a one color canopy though

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
It was pouring with rain today, just as I happened to be passing the SAB shop. Here's a quick pic to show that the PoW sterling cap can be added to a solid stick umbrella. The photo is not so good, but the oak colour in the pic is pretty true to life. Best I can do for now. Size is 27" and the wood is oak.

Should it have come with a nylon cover?

A stunning acquisition. I wish I could be passing by SAB or JS&S when its raining. The oak looks stunning with the sterling silver cap.

As for the nylon cover, not sure about SAB but all JS&S comes with one.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
that brolly is lookin right. i'd do a one color canopy though

A one colour canopy is a rare thing at Arnys.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads