• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temoin la Nuit
Why not pick up a Bottega Veneta bag?

Timeless, and everything seems to be on massive discounts right now.. was seeing in e-mails going out a while back discounts around 50%.

Please direct me to the 50% off BV sale.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
The leathers are very, very nice, and they use top quality hardware. Riri zippers in all of the bags I've seen and handled in person.
On the topic of his bags, I own a black calfskin tote from him...the leather is sweet, its treated to look like those soft distressed Julius leather and I always get the thumbs from my female friends. Opinions on YSL ? I have always loved how minimal and classy most of their stuff is.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread needs a blue bag. Limoland x Yoshida. I usually don't care for branding but the creature in the lower right corner is oddly appealing.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I posted this in a seperate thread but here are some pictures of an Ernest Alexander bag I bought. Ernest was first class and sent a personalized email and note with the bag. Great buying experience. /end plug
3749648609_20f7ebf0fd_b.jpg
3749649185_9ae4ffd064_b.jpg
3749673023_1cc64e1d2c_b.jpg
3750468862_5ef5dc3f6f_b.jpg
http://www.ernestalexander.com/shop/

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I like that. Reasonably priced too.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I picked up a Saddleback Leather pouch in dark tobacco about a week ago. My first thoughts when I opened the box were very good. It is very well made using top notch leathers and hardware. The shoulder strap on this thing is serious overkill. I could probably pull a car motor with it and if I broke a rein while out riding I definetly have a solid backup. For the most part I'm using it in the field as a possibles bag. A compass or GPS along with a phone and flashlight fit nicely in it when I'm out in the woods gallavanting around. I'm sure it will survive whatever abuse I toss at it no problems. Its going to be fun putting the patina on this lil bag.

Saddleback makes some good stuff. If anyone says otherwise then all I have to say is they never owned one and do not know what they are talking about. I have no problems recommending Saddleback's products to anyone who's looking for a solid leather bag at a reasonable price point.

I've had one of their medium "briefcases" for almost two years now as my every day bag and sometimes carry-on and its been great. I just wish that I put wear on it more fitting of its style.

Nanook

Reaction score
Wow, really like that Ernest Alexander bag. Like their Fulton Olive Waxwear Bag even more. Hey all, first post here. Need help in just about every department, but right now I need a new bag. My job requires me to be able to carry a lot of stuff: 15" laptop, books, cables, camera, pens, files, etc. I'm talking a lot. My current bag, a Casual Gear black nylon business case, weighs in at 30 lbs. fully loaded. But has the capacity I need, and LOTS of pockets. It measures about 16"W x 12"H x 9"D and is bulging and starting to wear out. I'm sure I'm gonna have to sacrifice some capacity for style, but anyone have recs for a bag that looks decent (as I said, I really like the above bag, for a starting point) and has the capacity and pockets I need? Oh, looking for a shoulder/messenger style. Anything with a strap. TIA!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Any input on this MMM messenger bag? Too casual for work (business casual office)? I have a scary litigation bag that I can use if I have a meeting that calls for something more traditional, so it does not need to fulfill that role.

More info at link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260348158073

Not really hot on that particular shape, have seen it in person many times. I just don't like seeing dudes with squared messenger bags for some reason, unless they're like hugely oversize and make a silhouette on their own.

The MMM classic duffel though, now THAT is ******* nice... it's on my top 10 list of things to get around to buying...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nanook
Wow, really like that Ernest Alexander bag.

Hey all, first post here. Need help in just about every department, but right now I need a new bag.

My job requires me to be able to carry a lot of stuff: 15" laptop, books, cables, camera, pens, files, etc. I'm talking a lot. My current bag, a Casual Gear black nylon business case, weighs in at 30 lbs. fully loaded. But has the capacity I need, and LOTS of pockets. It measures about 16"W x 12"H x 9"D and is bulging and starting to wear out.

I'm sure I'm gonna have to sacrifice some capacity for style, but anyone have recs for a bag that looks decent (as I said, I really like the above bag, for a starting point) and has the capacity and pockets I need?

TIA!

A Filson 258 is a bit narrower and a Saddleback Leather large briefcase is about the same size as what you have now. Good luck destroying either one and if you do you have a lifetime warranty.

Nanook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
A Filson 258 is a bit narrower and a Saddleback Leather large briefcase is about the same size as what you have now. Good luck destroying either one and if you do you have a lifetime warranty.
Whoa. I just heard trumpets playing. The picture you have up of the 258 in your store doesn't do it justice; looking at other photos on line and am really digging it. I like the 257 even more. Are there any really good, clear photos of the insides of both? I'm especially interested in all the little pockets and nooks & crannies in there for organizing all my crap. And while I'm at it, the 258 certainly looks bulkier, but what exactly is bigger about it on the inside compared to the 257? Does the padding on the 258 take up more space, and is thus not really that much roomier than the 257? Do you by any chance have cubic inch measurements of the capacity of both? I guess I'm looking to be talked in to a 257, 'cause I like its looks over the 258...
wink.gif
And how do they handle being really stuffed, for those days when I need to cram even more in to them? Do those outside pockets have a lot of give? In the interim, I ordered this guy, but am not sure about the print on there... It was cheap, though, and has good reviews...
wink.gif
greenbag.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nanook
Whoa. I just heard trumpets playing. The picture you have up of the 258 in your store doesn't do it justice; looking at other photos on line and am really digging it. I like the 257 even more. Are there any really good, clear photos of the insides of both? I'm especially interested in all the little pockets and nooks & crannies in there for organizing all my crap. And while I'm at it, the 258 certainly looks bulkier, but what exactly is bigger about it on the inside compared to the 257? Does the padding on the 258 take up more space, and is thus not really that much roomier than the 257? Do you by any chance have cubic inch measurements of the capacity of both? I guess I'm looking to be talked in to a 257, 'cause I like its looks over the 258...
wink.gif

And how do they handle being really stuffed, for those days when I need to cram even more in to them? Do those outside pockets have a lot of give?

In the interim, I ordered this guy, but am not sure about the print on there... It was cheap, though, and has good reviews...
wink.gif

greenbag.jpg

LOL! Length times width times depth equals cubic inches. The only problem with that is your lap top might be 18 inches wide and won't fit into a 16 inch wide bag. Take your stuff, stack it on a table and take LxWxH measurements and compare that to the bag dims. The 258 is a bit bigger and has an exterior pocket. The 257 does not. The padding does not significantly reduce the interior dims either. As far as taking weight is concerned can your bag hold a VW engine? A Filson can and there's a pic on their site to prove it. The outer pockets will expand but not that much. Newspapers and stuff like that is what they are for. I don't have pics that show interior details but many of our customers here have posted them.

So you really want a 257 eh? Ok how about 25 off retail and free shipping? Will that work?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads