• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vibram 5 fingers

Figdog

Reaction score
I used them. Did not feel any difference from my regular snickers. For running it seems that snickers would absorb more impact on hard surface.

adversity04

Reaction score
^
The same holds true with athletic shoes. In a 1997 study, researchers Steven Robbins and Edward Waked at McGill University in Montreal found that the more padding a running shoe has, the more force the runner hits the ground with: In effect, we instinctively plant our feet harder to cancel out the shock absorption of the padding. (The study found the same thing holds true when gymnasts land on soft mats"”they actually land harder.) We do this, apparently, because we need to feel the ground in order to feel balanced. And barefoot, we can feel the ground"”and we can naturally absorb the impact of each step with our bodies. "Whereas humans wearing shoes underestimate plantar loads," the study concluded, "when barefoot they sense it precisely."
http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/
Long article, but pretty good as it hits a bunch of points about the subject with some studies referenced.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting this study should be brought up. I was wondering if any of you have experience in going the "barefoot way" for a period of time before returning back to normal running shoes.

I personally did that going from asics to frees to vibram, back to frees and then asics. I notice after the period of barefoot training that going back to my running shoes, I felt better and clocked better timing with no pain. Therefore, nowadays, I just mixed it all up and I simply refuse to take sides.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Figdog
I used them. Did not feel any difference from my regular snickers. For running it seems that snickers would absorb more impact on hard surface.

I don't know about absorbing shock but snickers certainly gave my body energy and helped me keep hunger at bay.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Just bought the KSO model from city sports NYC yesterday, can't wait to give them their test run later in the day
smile.gif
just a question about the sizing... My foot fits pretty snug in the shoe (I bought a sz. 43 KSO), my heel fits nice no slippage, but the fingers of the shoe dont perfectly fit my toes in length My big toe fits perfectly but my other toes dont match up to the very tip of the fingers of the shoe is this how the fit is suppose to be? everything else feels spot on besides that but let me know what you guys think, whether i should sz down more or keep for reference I'm a : sz. 9 RW GT sz. 9 Clark's DB sz 10 in most Vans, Nikes, Adidas, and Converse JP

adversity04

Reaction score
The toes are going to fit differently based on each length so there is no "right" way to have those fit. The measuring chart:

sizing.gif

If you look at #4 and 5 it points out differences in foot size and toe length. If they fit your big toe I wouldn't worry about it. Mine are a bit tight on everything except my big toe, but that's just because of my lengths.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh
My big toe fits perfectly but my other toes dont match up to the very tip of the fingers of the shoe
is this how the fit is suppose to be?

Yeah, that's usual for these.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Yeah, that's usual for these.
Thanks for the assurance
smile.gif
you to adversity, I didn't wanna bother with the measuring so i just went to a store and tried them on but I'm sure I got the sizing perfect
Originally Posted by Crane's
I'm going to try these for hiking and climbing.
I'll be going next weekend camping with some buddies up in the adirondacks, will definitely be bringing these along for a hike and maybe a trail run early one day, I'll be sure to post my experience Tried my KSO's for their trial run the other night tho, I've fallen in love with them
inlove.gif
My feet felt fine, no soreness, I've always gone barefoot around my house, and when I play frisbee in the grass so I think my feet were already pretty strong, but I'll definitely be sure to slowly up the milage, I did a fairly slowly paced 3 mile my first run in them and my feet held up fine, walked another 1.5 afterwards as well My first inital steps were a bit rough as there was a rocky patch of ground and I could feel every little rock but after a a few minutes of running and a little more awareness to my footing, nothing much bothered me through the 5 fingers thin soles Also, I decided to sprint the last leg of the 3 mile, I felt like i was flying... it was an exhilarating experience and I look forward to more runs in my KSO 5 fingers
fing02[1].gif

adversity04

Reaction score
I had to use the measurements cause noone near me sells them
frown.gif

Wait to feel your legs tomorrow
devil.gif

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
wow, went for another run last night with my KSO's on, only 2 miles then walked the last mile
the first run i went on with these, I was running as if I simply had shoes on, so i was striking with my heel mostly
last night tho I focused on striking with front/ balls of my feet... needless to say my legs feel real tight today... especially my calves, and the soles of my feet are a little sore too but a good kind of sore
smile.gif

it'll definitely take some time to transition from my asics to these... but I think the benefits will be worth it

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got a pair of the kso, and the woman liked me so she gave me the military discount (despite me saying i wasn't in the military), so with tax only 73 bucks. will try tonight...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh

I'll be going next weekend camping with some buddies up in the adirondacks, will definitely be bringing these along for a hike and maybe a trail run early one day, I'll be sure to post my experience

How did they work out hiking? By any chance did you climb boulders or any other kind of rock?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finally got a chance to take them out for a spin. took some concentration to strike with the ball at first but i felt great the whole time. i was trail running and it felt completely different to my pumas and my nike frees. will probably use every other day until i get used to them and can start logging some real mileage...

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
How did they work out hiking? By any chance did you climb boulders or any other kind of rock?

I would not use VFFs on trails with significant numbers of exposed, sharp rocks. Many trails in my area of the Rockies are like this and I can't see them working too well. That said, if I was doing a multi-day trip, combining backpacking with hiking and scrambling, I would bring them along.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads