• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a suit! Please. 38s Navy Flat front under $300

dontworryboutit

Reaction score
Like the title says, I need to find a suit pretty soon.

I would like to the following:

38S
Solid Navy
Slim fitting (I am 5'8" 165lbs)
2 Button
Notch Lapel
Flat front 31/30 pants

Around $300

Where can I find this suit?

What do you think about shoes?
Brown or black?
Allen Edmonds - Park avenue or fifth avenue?
Are there similar style shoes for cheaper?

I am in the USA if that matters

Thank you so much for your opinion!!!

mintyfresh

Reaction score

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try H&M. I bought a size 38 R navy suit for $281 (Canadian). I ended up returning it as I felt it was a bit too snug.

dontworryboutit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Don't have them myself, but I always think the ones at Banana Republic decent for the price. they look modern and fitted.

BR - $325: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...ry.do?cid=5376

I have Fitzgerald collection suits from Brooks Brothers that I got on sale for $500 each. They fit very well on me.

My next suit purchase will be from Thick as Thieves - $443 for custom suit. http://www.thickasthievesla.com/buy.html

I used to work at Banana Republic and really like their clothes. Their suiting is great. If I could find a solid navy suit in a 382 I would be all over it. Ya thick as thieves would be great, but my time frame is a little tight. I may get a thick as thieves in the future though! Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Try H&M. I bought a size 38 R navy suit for $281 (Canadian). I ended up returning it as I felt it was a bit too snug.

Ya I just got rid of a 38R H&M because it was too tight. Too trendy for an interview though
frown.gif
Thanks

Meursault-

Reaction score
I bought a Hickey Freeman navy suit in 38S from the outlet after Christmas for $330. Yes, it is a diffusion line and not a very "interesting" piece; but it is a nice staple on a law student budget. Lightweight wool, slight shoulder roping, side vents, flat front pants.

mco543

Reaction score
Maybe you could try DKNY? I picked one up on a very deep discount and like it quite a bit. It's navy with textured tonal stripes, 2 button, side vents, and slim fitting with a 7 inch drop between jacket and pants.

Corgi

Reaction score
You might be surprised but "Club Monaco" sells quite well-made Turkish suits for about your budget.

inq89

Reaction score
Buy off of Target, or scour the SF BuyandSell threads. Spend the rest on shoes and tailoring.

dontworryboutit

Reaction score
Thank you for suggestions!

FWIW.....

Looked at Brooks Brothers outlet last night.....nothing even close. They had 1 38s solid navy in the store and the coat felt about 2 sizes too big. It could not have even been tailored to fit. Maybe I'm a 36 in BB?

Calvin Klein, Van Huesen (sp?) Had nothing even close....nothing solid navy

Saks Off 5th had good deals. Buy one get one free on all suits.....found a good looking 38s Zegna in solid navy...try it on....shoulders way too big. Try on a 38s Boss black label in black, and the fit is realllllly close. Try on a 36r Boss and it fit pretty well. Maybe I'm just a 36? Anyways, They did not have any solid navy that fit me!! The only solid navy was the 38s zegna that did not fit and was ugly.

Banana republic....I like their stuff and 38s fits me well, but no solid navy.

Stopped by Allen Edmonds....they had AE Clifton seconds for $149 (maybe it was $179?) in brown, black, and chestnut. Loved the chestnut, but did not have my size (which is either 7.5D or a 7 E, not sure)...anyways I did not want to buy a color like chestnut without knowing I would be able to find a navy suit. I may just end up buying the black ones so they are more interchangeable.

My remaining options......

Belk's
Macy's
Jos A Banks
Target

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

dontworryboutit

Reaction score
Jos a Banks had a 37R solid navy that fit me really well, but was too long. It would work for a traditional suit, but I am looking for a shorter, more modern look.

Men's warehouse and S&K were complete dumps, though MWH had a decent Jones NY suit.

Looking like

Target
Macy's
Maybe saks?

Anybody else have suggestions????? I am in the SE USA and willing to drive!!!!

chison

Reaction score
try nordstroms rack or syms, they have stores in florida and georgia, also, once you narrow down your size chain stores like nordstrom, saks, macy's etc. can sometimes call around for you to see if that size is available at other locations, direct you to that store or have it sent to you directly or to the store, good luck

wetnose

Reaction score
Search for M. Valentino on ebay - seller is Wizard of Aahs. Canvassed, good value for money.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Don't dismiss TaT so easily ... my last TaT suit took around 20 days door to door. They are faster than you probably think!

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya I just got rid of a 38R H&M because it was too tight. Too trendy for an interview though Thanks
H&M seems to be the only place that has solid navy suits for guys are size. I know you said you it was too tight, but keep in mind they usually tend to be a size smaller. A 40R might fit you should they have it.

I hate to suggest this, but how about Haggar? I know I've seen suits that are 38s and navy.

up1bin

Reaction score
Not sure if the sale still is going on, but you can try the Suiting Essentials line from Brooks Bros (slightly more than $300). I'm the same height as you (5'8") but weigh ~140 + 5lbs or so. I just came back from my fitting, and I think the initial fit was quite slim. I had to ask the tailor to let out the pants a bit cause it was too tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads