• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest for the Week Ending 07/24/2009
PG thought of the week:
- B

-
lurker[1].gif

Let me help you think outside the tin:
MONICA.jpg

Do you need a horn spoon, or are you fine without?
- B

- Finally something good has come out from this

No, I think PG has done that for quite some time, maybe even before posting pictures.
- B

- correct, an ex GF of mine whom I recently bumped into made a comment about this - she mentioned that she always wanted to ask me why.. This was back in 95..

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Regarding the Foofed collar - I tried this look in "real life" and had four people comment on it with the same sentiment: "why is that unbuttoned?"
- no one has ever mentioned IRL

Originally Posted by embowafa
Also, I like PG's clothes. I wish I had his clothing budget.
- you would be surprised.. Not as much as you think

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people are hung up on the tailoring, cut, materials etc. They play a role but not the most important role in my mind. Isn't one of the most important components of clothing the man behind it?

When I see discussion of Iconic photographs of The Duke, Astaire, Connery, Cary Grant..etc. Is it that their clothing was so great or was it the way they carried themselves in them?

How you wear your clothes is as important as what you wear. Some people are very well dressed for lack of a better phrase, and others dress well. I think PG does both.

He works hard at getting this attention, and I say that in a positive way. I'm sure there is ego involved but none the less he just like others contribute much to this forum. Seeing the clothes in action gives you a feeling of how his dressing is incorporated into his life. Great photography and clothing in the wild will always get higher praise.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JPHardy
Isn't one of the most important components of clothing the man behind it?

. . .

How you wear your clothes is as important as what you wear.

Yes and yes. But I think there is a strong limit on what you can tell about these things from a photograph. There are so many other variables at work.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes and yes. But I think there is a strong limit on what you can tell about these things from a photograph. There are so many other variables at work.

I agree.

That being said, some personalities just come out even in a single photograph. Since we don't get a chance to interact with these people, we have to go by what we see.

Another reason you hear posters like myself say that aspire to dress like PG, its because he makes it seem attainable. "I'll just fax my measurements and PG's pic to PL" We know that is not the case, but we think we can get close.

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree.

That being said, some personalities just come out even in a single photograph. Since we don't get a chance to interact with these people, we have to go by what we see.

Of course, you have to make do with what you have in front of you--but I think it's worth being cautious about over-extrapolating from fuzzy data. As I alluded to before, there are plenty of things that identigy PG as a good dresser other than the intangible character and lifestyle inferences people make from his photos. Emphasizing those inferences distracts from substance.

Another reason you hear posters like myself say that aspire to dress like PG, its because he makes it seem attainable. "I'll just fax my measurements and PG's pic to PL" We know that is not the case, but we think we can get close.

You, Matt, Whanay and others have wardrobes that are lets say "big time", so you will mostly not get the following. Most mortals don't have the means for $5000 suits.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm willing to bet that my clothing budget is dwarfed by PG's. He has a lot more stuff than I do. I don't post that many pictures anymore largely because I wear the same four or five outfits all the time.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JP, you don't seem to need $5,000 suits to look as good, if not better, than many of the people here who do have the means for such. Your posts and outfits are some of my favorite here.

Mike

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
JP, you don't seem to need $5,000 suits to look as good, if not better, than many of the people here who do have the means for such. Your posts and outfits are some of my favorite here.

Mike

Thank you, that is very kind. I will take credit on the fact that I did some homework and take time to post. I read through the forum for a couple of months before I started posting. A mixture of words and photographs I saw here allowed me to compile a starter wardrobe for this stage in my life (43).

My clothes are actually pretty expensive (for me), but I have not paid retail for them.
Thanks to SF PSA's + my nature of seeking out bargains I put together the look the I have now. Like Foo, I do not have many things that I wear in regular rotation, but I am very pleased with most of them.

Most important lesson from SF has been..... Don't buy something just because it says KITON on the label.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wear the same four or five outfits all the time.
This is less a matter of economy than a design choice, no?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

It's a matter of the two converging harmoniously
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Was it PooBear or you who told him to part his hair?

- B

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a matter of the two converging harmoniously
smile.gif

Yes Foo, not many people have spent almost $3,000 on "one pair" of shoes.

I do like what you have done. You have picked what works for you and have stuck to it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was it PooBear or you who told him to part his hair?

Who the hell is "PooBear?" And why do you always talk like I'm not in the room? It's like middle school all over again, when even the teachers made fun of me.

Yes Foo, not many people have spent almost $3,000 on "one pair" of shoes.

To be fair, it's more like $3,000 for five One pairs of shoes. Considering how many people on the forum blow at least that much on a single pair, I figure I'm a relative bargain-hunter.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who the hell is "PooBear?" And why do you always talk like I'm not in the room? It's like middle school all over again, when even the teachers made fun of me. To be fair, it's more like $3,000 for five One pairs of shoes. Considering how many people on the forum blow at least that much on a single pair, I figure I'm a relative bargain-hunter.
the average UK male spends about 50 GBP per pair.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
the average UK male spends about 50 GBP per pair.

I know, children are starving in Africa, and I alone amongst all others should feel guilty for my conspicuous consumption.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads