• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
By the way, I'm wearing something right now that's going to blow some frickin' minds. See the Important Announcement.

Original suit worn by Patrick Macnee?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some truth in Foo's premise. A baseball player who is known as an excellent hitter will often influence the umpire. If he doesn't swing at a borderline pitch, it is more often called a 'ball' (or presumed to be a ball). Does that mean it really wasn't a ball? Of course not. PG's looks may be assumed to succeed before critical analysis. Does that mean that they don't succeed on the merits? No. I think that's a fair analogy. I have always liked PG's looks and posts. Sometimes he fails (nurse shoes), but he often succeeds in ways that actually make me smile. He has a great joie de vivre and it really shows. Many of his details (or affects) would be too much on most anyone else, but I believe he really makes it work for him. The hand thrust in jacket pocket thing is attributable to edmorel.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came back from a week off, read this entire thread, still have no idea what you eggheads are talking about. Woe is me, a low I.Q.-state-school grad in an Ivy-league (virtual) world.

One thing is clear: Apparently, there isn't much to do during this economically-depressed summer, leaving plenty of time for the forum. Lucky us?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
From my perspective, there's more missing than there is here, and I don't mean that as insult to SF but as a testament to the breadth and depth of the world of style. Il Vecchio has hardly posted his wardrobe, but everyone remembers his stuff for a reason. It was such a startling contrast to the bright 'n' bold SF aesthetic. It was subdued and elegant, and indifferent to SF norms.

Il Vecchio's style is among the best represented among bespoke products that are posted here...but he is among the few who posted his head complete with his face. His style is very A&S, and very well represented among the clients of bespoke stuff who post. He posted this style. Will posts this style. Manton posts this style. Andre posts this style. And so do I. Our photos look different, but that is a function of the (1) expertise of the photography, (2) the physical attributes of the person who is photographed, and (3) the differences among interpretations of this style.

There are several other members who also wear this style, but who are more shy.

We all wear the soft, draped London Cut. There: I've said it. Drape.

I think that you know that, but you choose not to believe that, in fact, you like and prefer soft tailoriing...but the English kind, not Italian.

As you do...if you like IL. Revisit my pics when I'm in my late 60s.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
One thing is clear: Apparently, there isn't much to do during this economically-depressed summer, leaving plenty of time for the forum. Lucky us?

Economic depression is the widest point of opportunity, my over-assistanted friend.

- B

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Il Vecchio's style is among the best represented among bespoke products that are posted here...but he is among the few who posted his head complete with his face. His style is very A&S, and very well represented among the clients of bespoke stuff who post. He posted this style. Will posts this style. Manton posts this style. Andre posts this style. And so do I. Our photos look different, but that is a function of the (1) expertise of the photography, (2) the physical attributes of the person who is photographed, and (3) the differences among interpretations of this style.

There are several other members who also wear this style, but who are more shy.

We all wear the soft, draped London Cut. There: I've said it. Drape.

I think that you know that, but you choose not to believe that, in fact, you like and prefer soft tailoriing.

As you do...if you like IL. Revisit my pics when I'm in my late 60s.

- B

I do like soft tailoring. I like yours, I like Matt's, I like Il Vecchio's, I like Foo's, I like Whnay's. I think it's great. Most of my beloved vintage coats -- the stuff in my closet, I mean -- are extremely soft, if in a more American fashion. That I'm talking about wanting to see other stuff is no insult to you guys. I'm very appreciative our drapists post and share. But that makes me no less greedy toward seeing what else is out there, or wanting as diverse a representation of style on StyleForvm as possible.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Y'all suck at stylez.

I love it when Matt's wife forgets to lock-up the liquor cabinet...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do like soft tailoring. I like yours, I like Matt's, I like Il Vecchio's, I like Foo's, I like Whnay's. I think it's great. Most of my beloved vintage coats -- the stuff in my closet, I mean -- are extremely soft, if in a more American fashion. That I'm talking about wanting to see other stuff is no insult to you guys. I'm very appreciative our drapists post and share. But that makes me no less greedy toward seeing what else is out there, or wanting as diverse a representation of style on StyleForvm as possible.

Here's the thing: you should participate rather than spectate.

Book that trip to a city and meet someone. Book a trip to NYC and visit Paul Winston.

What was profligate when young, is manna when on the doorsteps of death.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I love it when Matt's wife forgets to lock-up the liquor cabinet...

I'm convinced that Will and he share the same canister of oxygen.

As for you: I hear shrieks in Chinatown.

- B

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Here's the thing: you should participate rather than spectate.

Book that trip to a city and meet someone.

What was profligate when young, is manna when on the doorsteps of death.

I toy with it, but the trip is far, and I am lazy. I am also uncertain where I would go.

Complicating the issue, I would want something so specific that I fear the mountain is too tall to climb.

Maybe I need to go all Sator and learn to make my own.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are a pefect Winston customer.

You know what you want, and have the vocaculary to communicate it.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am a tailor's nightmare. And Patrick Macnee's cutter has been dead for a long time.

Serious: Winston.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads