• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots made by Russell Moccasin Company -- experiences

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Plaidout will be blogging about their Russell factory visit later this week. Here's the blog's teaser pics:
russell-001.jpg
russell-002.jpg
BTW, anybody pic up some RM's recently? I've been on the Quoddy tip for the Spring/Summer.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the J Crew for Russell Moccs

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the men's store on B'Way

auto90403

Reaction score
I just returned from a week of wandering around Scotland's Northern Highlands. I wore a pair of Russell's MacIntosh Birdshooters.

Incredibly comfortable boots. This is the most I've worn them since I bought them nearly two years ago so I was still breaking them in. Not that they needed much breaking in. But the boots were still conforming to how my feet cause the boots to wear.

As for my experience dealing with Russell, it's was like Cali's only not as bad.

Russell's customer service is not so much bad -- they're all v-e-r-y nice people -- as incompetent and old-fashioned (as in not automated/computerized). Order tracking depends on which rep you get and how much effort that rep puts into researching an answer. Expect to make more than one call before you learn where your shoes are in the process.

Yes, the box they ship in is a joke. As though they have one size box and ever damn order goes out in that box no matter how they have to cram everything in. And that tissue paper -- Jesus Christ.

Cali's right -- the laces are a bit short. As if they can't be bothered to cut the right sized laces for different boots.

If you get past the quirks in their order processing/shipping methods, Russell boots are amazing.

I noticed that their prices have really climbed in the last couple of years. Russell was never cheap. But now. . .

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would update with some current pics of my Art Carter chukka boots. They have broken in nicely and darkened a little with age. I treat them with Obenauf's occasionally and that is it. Great boots overall, I've been very happy with them.
dsc2327.jpg

dsc2330.jpg

dsc2328.jpg

dsc2332k.jpg

anothergreenworld

Reaction score
After 5 months, (1 additional month than estimated) and seemingly endless delays after calling each week for a new estimate, these finally arrived... They even managed to miss the second estimated ship date by a couple of days but upgraded me to 2nd day UPS. They're Triple Vamp Fishing Oxfords in red brown Horween dyed navigator leather with treated leather midsole and vibram ripple sole. They are the most comfortable shoes I own. If you can deal with the wait and possibly getting reprioritized as they meet their larger clients' orders, they are worth waiting for.
Russell_Ripple_6.jpg
Russell wouldn't do the loop lace... it's licensed by Nepenthes.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pic not showing up but I would love to see them, they sound great.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This thread needs way more pics.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, I like that shoe a lot. Not my favorite sole personally but overall a great looking shoe. I'd like to get a pair of shoes from Russell for next spring. Should probably think about ordering them soon.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Just got my first Russells and I love 'em. (Cavalier in french veal)

Does anyone have the Russell "Hiker" and use it for actual hiking?

Thinking of ordering a pair...

Reaction score
Russells are the best, great craftsmanship and reasonably priced considering the quality. just ordered my 3rd pair (chukkas). Go for the custom fit; it's worth the wait.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny thing, I travel thru that town where they are at...like once a month...and never saw the store/shop. Must satisfy my curiosity!

Essayons

Reaction score
I love made to measure Russells. My first pair were Oneida Slipons--they're more than 10 years old. Then I bought a pair of Sporting Clays Chukkas. I wore those so much, I thought I'd better get another pair! The first pair are probably 10 years old now. The second pair are a couple years newer. The first pair of chukkas has now been re-soled three times, and the second pair has been re-soled twice. Last time I had them re-soled, I switched from the standard blown rubber soles, which wore fairly quickly, to Vibram Air Bobs, which last much longer.

I found this board by Googling "Russell Moccasin" and Hiker. I'm thinking about buying a pair of made to measure Russells (probably double vamp, leather lined, Hikers or Mountaineers) for hiking and backpacking. There's no substitute for a perfect fit, and most custom hiking boots cost $600 plus.

Back to style--I love Russells for casual wear. My favorite dress shoes are Barrie lasted Shell Cordovan Aldens, which fit great out of the box
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads