• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I don't really know much about wine, but I had this bottle and enjoyed it over the weekend.

2003 Silverado Cab

1026736x.jpg

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

<drool>

Bastard!
wink.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Well I did a quick google and this is what I came up with, which pretty much sums it really:

It's a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre, which also explains why I liked it so much as it has two of my favourite varitals in it.

Man, I love the Rhone wines. The Gigondas was excellent. I love the Perrin Vacquyras. Had a Guigal Cote de Rhone tonite. The guest said not to decant. Hmmm?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
I don't like the style of Grange or the other big Penfolds wines, which I think are overpriced and over rated. I certainly would not knowingly drink wine that has tannin (and who knows what other chemicals) added to it. There are much better shiraz and shiraz blends available for a better price.

Have you tried Gemtree Uncut Shiraz (CAD$27.00) or D'Arenberg's The Dead Arm Shiraz (CAD$55.00)? The former excellent, the latter effing brilliant!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Man, I love the Rhone wines. The Gigondas was excellent. I love the Perrin Vacquyras. Had a Guigal Cote de Rhone tonite. The guest said not to decant. Hmmm?

fail on their part. While everybody has their own taste, it has been scientifically proven that decanting red wines for a little is beneficial no matter how cheap or how expensive (the 'negative' compounds like sulfates, sulfides, etc. will break down by oxygen before the fruit compounds). I routinely decant inexpensive reds, and a CdR is certainly in that group. There would not be a need to decant for 15-20 hours, but IMO 2-3 hours would be doing it a whole lot of good.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Silverado is generally a well regarded winery. But I had a problem with their 2004 or 2005, I forget which vintage.

pipe_barrel.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don't like the style of Grange or the other big Penfolds wines, which I think are overpriced and over rated. I certainly would not knowingly drink wine that has tannin (and who knows what other chemicals) added to it. There are much better shiraz and shiraz blends available for a better price.

Overpriced, I agree. Overrated, I disagree. Tannins are an integral part of wine that occur naturally in the skins and stems of the grapes. To my understanding, tannins are not added to red wines, though they can sometimes be added to white wine (or whites can pick it up naturally by oak aging).

The amount of "chemicals" added to wine is quite small in most cases. Additives in the production process are typically not chemicals to begin with. Examples may include sugar (for under-ripened grapes or to add a boost of alcohol post fermentation. the process is called chaptalization), malic acid (to counter over-ripe grapes, achieved through malolactic fermentation), citric acid (mostly in whites), sulfites which are added sometimes to kill bacteria during fermentation (though they also occur naturally in wine), and tartaric acid. Finning is often done with egg whites in many parts of France and Italy.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Overpriced, I agree. Overrated, I disagree. Tannins are an integral part of wine that occur naturally in the skins and stems of the grapes. To my understanding, tannins are not added to red wines, though they can sometimes be added to white wine (or whites can pick it up naturally by oak aging).

The amount of "chemicals" added to wine is quite small in most cases.

Penfold typically adds tannin powder to Grange (and their other wines).

But in Australia, powdered tannins are added to some of the country's best wines. John Duval, chief winemaker at Penfolds, adds it after fermentation to the legendary Grange Hermitage. "It stabilizes the structure," he explains, noting that tannin additions were a basic tenet of the winemaking philosophy of Max Schubert, first winemaker of the Grange.
I appreciate that tannin is a component of wine but so is sugar (before fermentation) and so is alcohol - and I would not touch a wine that had sugar or alcohol added, either.

I'm just not in favour of frankenwines.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
I routinely decant inexpensive reds, and a CdR is certainly in that group. .
Haha, not if it is a Guigal "la-la"

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Have you tried Gemtree Uncut Shiraz (CAD$27.00) or D'Arenberg's The Dead Arm Shiraz (CAD$55.00)? The former excellent, the latter effing brilliant!

I haven't tried the Gemtree, but have had crates of the Dead Arm in the past. It is a very good wine. I no longer like a big fruit-dominated Shiraz, and prefer the more subtle rhone style shiraz blends, unless I am drinking without food, or at a barbecue.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

<drool>

Bastard!
wink.gif

The problem was that was the first bottle of the night. The rest didn't taste so great after that one...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I appreciate that tannin is a component of wine but so is sugar (before fermentation) and so is alcohol - and I would not touch a wine that had sugar or alcohol added, either. I'm just not in favour of frankenwines.
chaptalization is a pretty standard process in many parts of the world, include Alsace and Germany. And what about port??? IMO the use of oak should also be seen as an additive, and oak can be one of the largest factors in how a wine tastes and IMO ruins more wines than an imbalance of alcohol or acid.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fail on their part. While everybody has their own taste, it has been scientifically proven that decanting red wines for a little is beneficial no matter how cheap or how expensive (the 'negative' compounds like sulfates, sulfides, etc. will break down by oxygen before the fruit compounds). I routinely decant inexpensive reds, and a CdR is certainly in that group. There would not be a need to decant for 15-20 hours, but IMO 2-3 hours would be doing it a whole lot of good.

+1

But, I was not about to contradict my guest. Wanted to, though! LOL

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Ahhh! Cheers! I really liked the Clos du Mont-Olivet, Font de Blanche a friend gave me a while back. It was a very warm and well rounded pour!
clos-du-mont-cuvet.jpg

Looks lovely. New glasses, Pand?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks lovely.

New glasses, Pand?

It was a very nice bottle! The GF and I were sitting with our neighbors one evening and they came out with a bottle of this...they had just picked up a case...and the four of us knocked back two bottles before it was time to go home...but not before they refilled our glasses...shown in the photo...and gave us a bottle of this loverly CdR of our own...also featured in the photo...I will buy that one for myself for certain. It was one of the first wines from the other side of the Pyrenees that I have had thus far in my journey. The first was a neat little Fitou from a very small bottle to order vineyard.

So to answer your question in short about the glasses...nope that be the neighbors
peepwall[1].gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I was pretty excited at the shot of a solid wine glass too. But alas, my hopes were crushed.

I'm hosting a housewarming party sometime next week to celebrate the new apartment. On tap I'm thinking about a 2005 Valpolicella Classico, a super Tuscan from Orenllaia, a Vermentino from the Antinori family, and I have an extremely young 2006 St. Emillion Grand Cru that I think would be nice to preview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads