• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.

fgigondasrouge.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.

fgigondasrouge.jpg

Looks tastey. Is that a Burgundy red?

*he asks, trying to sound like he knows what the hell he's talking about*

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
which reminds me, Gigondas will have a bit more oomph than a similar CdP, be sure to decant that for a few hours.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Rhone

Ahhh! Cheers! I really liked the Clos du Mont-Olivet, Font de Blanche a friend gave me a while back. It was a very warm and well rounded pour!

clos-du-mont-cuvet.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.

Well I did a quick google and this is what I came up with, which pretty much sums it really:

Clos du Mont-Olivet is a house most famous for its Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but its humble Cote-du-Rhone offering 'Font de Blanche' may be one of the great values this year. For a wine that is priced aggressively under $20, the Font do Blanche is exceptionally well balanced with stong red fruit: raspberry, red cherry and a hint of strawberry intertwine and lift up to a finish of cracked black pepper. Spice and fruit accomodate to a slight acidic twang: this is a food-friendly Rhone. The only danger is the complexity masks the 14% alcohol by volume, be careful with this sophisticated bargain.
It's a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre, which also explains why I liked it so much as it has two of my favourite varitals in it.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.

Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99

Ooops Tomorrow is Friday so the tasting is 4 to 7...my bad...I'm usually around for the Saturday tasting.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts

Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites.
laugh.gif
JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway.
smile.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites.
laugh.gif
JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway.
smile.gif

Remember to talk to Candy. She spent several years in Spain. She'll hook you up!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
in all likelyhood, the name of the vineyard is "'Font de Blanche", an interesting label for a Rhone wine. Usually I associate the Burgundies with labeling the vineyard (ex: Vosne-Romanee, La Romanee). Sounds nice for sub-$20, I've always ranked CdR high in the value plays.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know much about wine, but I had this bottle and enjoyed it over the weekend. 2003 Silverado Cab
1026736x.jpg

Aus_MD

Reaction score
I don't like the style of Grange or the other big Penfolds wines, which I think are overpriced and over rated. I certainly would not knowingly drink wine that has tannin (and who knows what other chemicals) added to it. There are much better shiraz and shiraz blends available for a better price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads