• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Both of those look just fabulous!
drool.gif
I mean who can pass up jammy goodness
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who resorts to his vinturi in times of need
wink.gif

Cheers, Pand. Would like to share a bottle or three with SF buddies some time!

Got my Vinturi for Father's Day. Looks good. Works fine. In times of need, as you say.

splashv.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great link, though I can't click on the video. I can't understand the guy's popularity. I find him horribly obnoxious and ridiculous ('I sense the taste of "Band-Aid"' -- is one of his gems). Mind you, I'm old. He may be 'down' with the kids. LOL

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Cheers, Pand. Would like to share a bottle or three with SF buddies some time!

Got my Vinturi for Father's Day. Looks good. Works fine. In times of need, as you say.

splashv.jpg

Sounds good to me! It certainly would be a great time!

I got mine as an Easter gift from my mother. I use it for the first half glass to create surface area in the bottle to facilitate the breathing process as I am, as of now, still sans decanter. Besides I like the noise it makes
lookaround.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Great link, though I can't click on the video. I can't understand the guy's popularity. I find him horribly obnoxious and ridiculous ('I sense the taste of "Band-Aid"' -- is one of his gems). Mind you, I'm old. He may be 'down' with the kids. LOL

that's the thing, GV is reaching out to a certain population. He certainly alienates others, but I don't think he cares. Personally, I'm a big fan, but my age says I would
cheers.gif
I think he is helping a huge population of people explore wines deeper than they ever would and encouraging them to explore new things - IMO the latter being the most important part of wine.

FWIW, the Jancis Robinson wine videos from the late 90's are on youtube now. I think they're excellent and are great to watch regardless of knowledge.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different strokes. And I think you're right about bringing the great subject of wine to younger people. It's a shame I despise him, cuz his knowledge is excellent, his show is professionally done and he gets great guests. But watching him is like drinking battery acid for me.

I'll certainly check out Jancis' vids.

Cheers, a

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Sounds good to me! It certainly would be a great time!

You ever get up here? I was in Chicago two years ago. Loved it!

We could go here or here

Both great wine lists and the latter is our favourite Toronto restaurant.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
tonight was a nero d'alvola. Usually a top pick for a great weekday wine, the choice is made easier by having a Sicilian girlfriend here.

Unfortunately, this wine didn't seem very Italian. Huge berry jam on the nose, but not much else. Same thing on the palate, it just didn't have that "it" factor for Italian reds, no terroire. Just some fruit and then a weak finish. A shame, first so-so bottle of nero d'alvola I've had in a long time.

The caponata, however, was splendid.

killua

Reaction score
1228204176076_l.jpg

thumbs-up.gif

I'm a small timer for red wine, but Penfolds has always been my favourite winery. I go for the BIN 369 though, and I don't think anything much higher is worth it for me. Can't wait till the time I manage to get to their winery in Coonawarra on my mission finding the best Cab Sav in Australia.

BTW most recent purchase was a dozen of the Taminick 2005 premium Shiraz. Remind me in 5 years to let you all know how it tastes.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by killua
I'm a small timer for red wine, but Penfolds has always been my favourite winery. I go for the BIN 369 though, and I don't think anything much higher is worth it for me. Can't wait till the time I manage to get to their winery in Coonawarra on my mission finding the best Cab Sav in Australia. BTW most recent purchase was a dozen of the Taminick 2005 premium Shiraz. Remind me in 5 years to let you all know how it tastes.
My favourite CAD$20.00 Shiraz anywhere is
HylandShiraz.jpg
Only three dollars more and in a different universe than their entry level Koonunga Shiraz (a fruit bomb with no character).
KoonungaShzCab.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads