• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
Neimans briefcase. Any idea on the maker? or how I could find out?
lots017.jpg

lots013.jpg

lots015.jpg

nice case!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across a decent pair of Church's Masterclass today for $5. Not my size so I passed. Perhaps foolishly as I've been thinking I should have grabbed them anyway. They're a reddish-brown half-brogued cap-toe bal without a toe medallion. I'd say they ran about a size 10.5/11. I couldn't tell from the handwriting as it had faded a bit. I think the last might be 105 IIRC? They aren't mint, having some scuffing, but certainly nothing serious and a solid 8/10.

Should I go back? Anyone want to trade?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Came across a decent pair of Church's Masterclass today for $5. Not my size so I passed. Perhaps foolishly as I've been thinking I should have grabbed them anyway. They're a reddish-brown half-brogued cap-toe bal without a toe medallion. I'd say they ran about a size 10.5/11. I couldn't tell from the handwriting as it had faded a bit. I think the last might be 105 IIRC? They aren't mint, having some scuffing, but certainly nothing serious and a solid 8/10.

Should I go back? Anyone want to trade?

I'm guessing UK sizing huh?

On a seperate note, I'm taking Friday off and I plan on using part of the day to do some hardcore thrifting! Can't wait.

Swan Song

Reaction score
today, I bought a BB 1818 Olive Camel Hair three button SC, made in Mexico for $7

my size, too, just need to shorten the sleeves an inch or two, and appears little used, the lining is in excellent shape, and the nap has minimal surface wear.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I'm guessing UK sizing huh?

On a seperate note, I'm taking Friday off and I plan on using part of the day to do some hardcore thrifting! Can't wait.

Well, I wear a size 9/9.5 and these were 1 to 1.5 sizes to big. I couldn't make out any size markings. If they had fit I would have definitely grabbed them for $5, but ... Anyone interested?

rubin749

Reaction score
I've gotten a fair amount of stuff in the last couple weeks. Loro Piana New Zealand Merino wool by unknown Italian maker. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be canvassed. My brother will probably keep this.
IMG_3128.jpg
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece charcoal double breasted suit. About a 40-42R, but I haven't measured yet. I'd like to trade this if anyone is still doing that.
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3122.jpg
From a couple weeks back, an Isaia Napoli 50/50 Linen/Silk blend, kind of slate or gray blue. It's a slim 54, fits pretty much like a 42, but too short for me. I'll probably flip this soon, but will consider trades.
IMG_3106.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
A bunch of other stuff too, some of which I might list for trade.

rubin749

Reaction score
Also, I passed on a very nice, lightweight, tan Paul Stuart raincoat with belt. Good condition overall, save a couple marks that will likely come out. It's a 44 or so, maybe even a 46. I can get it cheap, so let me know if you're interested.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubin749
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece charcoal double breasted suit. About a 40-42R, but I haven't measured yet. I'd like to trade this if anyone is still doing that.

Oh, man; I'd be all over that if it was a 46R. I'm always looking for a nice D/B (class of '84!).

All -

Anybody know what happened to the trading thread? I posted and then it died out shortly thereafter. Bad omen? Anyway, I've got some stuff I'd like to move but I'm real intimidated to list it on the B/S Forum. I've seen some guys list stuff that some of us would like but is department store type brands and they get annihilated by the members. Plus, I've never sold anything; I've only been a buyer.

However, I have noticed that the affordable stuff by guys like Nataku and The Plunger sell much quicker than the "big timer" postings...

illeagle

Reaction score
Got a white Borrelli shirt w/ French cuffs from a consignment store in like new condition for $40 and a RL Black Label brown w/ white polka dot tie for $10 from the same store. There was a RLPL cashmere blazer there for 110, but a size too small
frown.gif

Found a blue stripe Borrelli shirt with a very small hole on the sleeve just before that at a thrift

A few other thrift finds were:

Charles Tyrwhitt beige suede brogue captoes and Church's custom grade brogue captoes both in great condition... came across another couple pair of Church's custom grades but they were a bit more worn

Yesterday I passed up some not-my-size Florsheim V-Cleat Longwings in that light brown color (not sure if they were shell cordovan or not, but they were on the heavy side)...might go back today to get them... also passed on some Jarmans which looked nice but not my size

randob300

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle

Yesterday I passed up some not-my-size Florsheim V-Cleat Longwings in that light brown color (not sure if they were shell cordovan or not, but they were on the heavy side)...might go back today to get them... also passed on some Jarmans which looked nice but not my size

If they're 9.5D I'll take them off your hands, plus reasonable fees for yourself. PM if you ever get around to getting them.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I've got some stuff I'd like to move but I'm real intimidated to list it on the B/S Forum. I've seen some guys list stuff that some of us would like but is department store type brands and they get annihilated by the members. Plus, I've never sold anything; I've only been a buyer.

There is a forum rule prohibiting members "dumping" on other members sale threads. If it should happen, report the thread and the mods will take appropriate action.

There's no reason to feel intimidated about selling in B&S, its easy and some of the younger and less well-heeled members appreciate seeing lower cost items posted. Good luck!

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
There is a forum rule prohibiting members "dumping" on other members sale threads. If it should happen, report the thread and the mods will take appropriate action.

There's no reason to feel intimidated about selling in B&S, its easy and some of the younger and less well-heeled members appreciate seeing lower cost items posted. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll give it a try.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I had a fairly good day today. I picked up a Brooks Brothers khaki cotton sport coat that fits perfectly, a navy Yale Co Op 3/2 sack blazer that fits well, a black velvet sport coat that I got to wear as a costumey smoking jacket at a party someday and a pair of Johnson and Murphy made in Italy tassel loafers, and an overnight/carryon sized bag that I took a liking to, all for probably 25-30 dollars.

I'm unsure what I'll have done to the sack blazer. I kind of want to nip the sides in to make it more fitted, but it almost seems antithetical to the style to do so. Also, I have a super fitted/structured Giorgio Armani coat that I like a lot, so it would be kind of fun to have polar opposites.

I saw a fairly nice Oxxford suit today in a nice blue/black birdseye, but it had a stain on the pants. It wasn't in my size anyway, but had the stain not been there I would have picked it up and passed it on through either the Thrift Trading thread or regular B&S. The stain may very well have come out, but I'm not a very motivated flipper, so as it wasn't my size, I didn't go for it.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

even older....er...."more distinguished", no-heeled, rubes like me enjoy lower priced high or low end items, but no offence taken.
tongue.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Anyway, I've got some stuff I'd like to move but I'm real intimidated to list it on the B/S Forum. I've seen some guys list stuff that some of us would like but is department store type brands and they get annihilated by the members. Plus, I've never sold anything; I've only been a buyer.

Not sure what happened to the trading post. I've always posted a few things up but never got much response on it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be intimidated, because as others have said, there is a rule about trashing someone/their merchandise in their own F/S thread. I list up stuff I know isn't of any interest to most of our active members (D&G, Gucci, Prada), but I know we have a lot of lurkers/newbies who like that kinda stuff. Just list it up, if people are interested they'll PM you or post in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads