• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New American-made Bass Weejuns, anybody?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
A Bass Weejun at a Weston 180 price? No thank you.

A new place of manufacture does not indicate better construction. See http://nymag.com/guides/everything/shoes/27345/

And those wrong-side up shell ones with the Horween stamp? I'd wear flip flops first!

I think that the Weston loafers are up past $625 now, while I would expect the Bass Weejuns to be less than half of that.

A Quoddy blucher or moc (they don't make pennies) would be in the low $200s, and the Quoddys are indeed, made with better materials (Horween Chromexcel leather) than the generic offshore Bass project.

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.

- B

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A Quoddy blucher or moc (they don't make pennies) would be in the low $200s, and the Quoddys are indeed, made with better materials (Horween Chromexcel leather) than the generic offshore Bass project. I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.
Quoddy can make penny loafers with either a boat shoe or camp sole. O'Connell's even has some for sale on their site now. I'm not about to saw any of mine in half to find out, but I'm pretty sure all of these types of shoes are made with just a regular moccasin welt.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Quoddy can make penny loafers with either a boat shoe or camp sole. O'Connell's even has some for sale on their site now.

I'm not about to saw any of mine in half to find out, but I'm pretty sure all of these types of shoes are made with just a regular moccasin welt.

Here's the one with the boat sole:

1242420414.jpg

- B

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I think that the Weston loafers are up past $625 now, while I would expect the Bass Weejuns to be less than half of that.

Tellingly, I think, nothing has been written that the American-made Weejuns will be made to a higher standard than the current ones. Only that they will be stamped "made in the USA." Unless the construction is much, much better than the current ones, the Westons are still a better value even at full price.

I'm not sure that anyone knows yet what goes into the new Maine Weejuns, but people will get to compare directly shortly.

At the prices they seem to be expecting to fetch (in this economy, no less) I am not sure many will be interested in comparing them. Maybe I am wrong, though.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
I do not believe the Gilman is made in the USA.

Point? I want to know what tangible qualities make these worth $250++++ more than my Gilmans. I know the Gilmans are made from rather ****** leather, but its not so ****** as to justify paying a ton more for something unless it has substantially better appearance or quality attributes IMO. I'm not seeing any of those here yet...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Point? I want to know what tangible qualities make these worth $250++++ more than my Gilmans. I know the Gilmans are made from rather ****** leather, but its not so ****** as to justify paying a ton more for something unless it has substantially better appearance or quality attributes IMO. I'm not seeing any of those here yet...

I don't know much about the new Weejuns but, other than construction, what's more important to a shoe's quality than its leather? These days, $300 is the starting price for a pair of Goodyear-welted shoes in decent, ageable leather. I don't know if the new Weejuns have either of those things, but the price would be right if they did.

You might as well complain that a $400 pair of Aldens isn't worth $250 more than a paiir of Rockports because, really, the leather is just nicer.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't know much about the new Weejuns but, other than construction, what's more important to a shoe's quality than its leather? These days, $300 is the starting price for a pair of Goodyear-welted shoes in decent, ageable leather. I don't know if the new Weejuns have either of those things, but the price would be right if they did.

You might as well complain that a $400 pair of Aldens isn't worth $250 more than a paiir of Rockports because, really, the leather is just nicer.

where the hell are you buying $150 rockports?
tongue.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
where the hell are you buying $150 rockports?
tongue.gif

I pulled that out of ******. They cost about that much back in high school, so I assumed time and inflation had stopped.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I pulled that out of ******. They cost about that much back in high school, so I assumed time and inflation had stopped.
$150 max, for the nicer ones.
pG01-5752338p275w.png
$130 They'll probably do you better then a pair of J&M's......but who cares, wearing these is like playing in the minors. Pre style forum i bought a few pair and they were about $80.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess this is a valid point. Just the same as its valid to spend $150+ in premiums for cordovan...

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Polo, Paul Stuart, Bass WeeJun's "Jeffrey" and McNairy "WeeJuns" are made in Bangor/Brewer Maine by Alden's subsidary Highland Shoe. Highland was previously Ansewn. Ansewn made for P.S., Cole-Haan and Polo from the '80s until its demise in about 2003. www.highlandshoe.com Highland has not changed its web page in over two years. They probably have no urgent need to bother. They've more or less a monopoly on their specialty.

The $300 range is what the world market will apparently bear for New England hand-sewn mocs. Japanese footwear fetishists probably account for a large chunk of production. Quoddy apparently doesn't use leather soles and leather/neoprene heels. When enough Japanese discover Russell Mocs a similar situation will ensue. Sebago, Sperry, etc. missed the boat, or were the indirect causes of the current premium on Maine hand-sewns. Demand/supply, simple.

The same quality can be had from www.samello.com.br , but without the perceived panache of genuine Maine hand-sewns.

This too shall pass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads