• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I'd be happy to be dumped by text because I'd know that person was a colossal waste of DNA.

I dumped a chick by text once in high school.

This is how the conversation went.
Me: hey we need to talk, it's serious.
Her: i'm kinda busy, just text it to me
Me: I can wait until we actually talk later
Her: it's fine, just text it to me
Me: k i wanna break up. ttyl.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jptoor
Got dumped via text.

Worst part, all she said was, "You're an incongruous person. I don't know how to feel about that."
Then she stopped texting me back, and won't return my calls.

Originally Posted by m@T
sorry to hear that man. I'd recommend not calling for a while, as much as it may suck, just give her a few days grace, let her miss you a bit, then resurface and see where you stand.

I don't know if she deserves that. Who texts somebody hurtful **** like that and then won't explain themselves? For once, I disagree with M@t's idea. Don't text or call or "resurface". If she does, get an explanation from her then move on. You don't need that ****. It would be doubly awesome if she offers to take you back, then you hook up with her and drop her like she did you. But that would only reinforce her bullshit and make her feel like she took the higher road. So I say "move on".

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I dumped a chick by text once in high school.

This is how the conversation went.
Me: hey we need to talk, it's serious.
Her: i'm kinda busy, just text it to me
Me: I can wait until we actually talk later
Her: it's fine, just text it to me
Me: k i wanna break up. ttyl.

Texting in high school seems so anachronistic...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
frown.gif

It had to be done.

She's great, but it wasnt a relationship that was heading anywhere, so after a year and a half I put a stop to it.

Just kinda eating into each other's futures if we keep going like that.

It's still sad though.

Don't sweat it - you are a free man now. Congrats.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awkward how I just found this topic today.

I can understand it (the initial break up of this thread). Sometimes it looks like you have everything but it's not making you happy. Only because you think you love your partner doesn't mean that the relationship works. You can try but it won't change the world.

Now just how should I explain that to the crying person at the other end of the phone?
confused.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Awkward how I just found this topic today.

I can understand it (the initial break up of this thread). Sometimes it looks like you have everything but it's not making you happy. Only because you think you love your partner doesn't mean that the relationship works. You can try but it won't change the world.

Now just how should I explain that to the crying person at the other end of the phone?
confused.gif

Explain it in person?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Explain it in person?
Far distance relationship... something around 8000 km. But yes, would be the gentleman way to do it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I don't know if she deserves that. Who texts somebody hurtful **** like that and then won't explain themselves? For once, I disagree with M@t's idea. Don't text or call or "resurface". If she does, get an explanation from her then move on. You don't need that ****. It would be doubly awesome if she offers to take you back, then you hook up with her and drop her like she did you. But that would only reinforce her bullshit and make her feel like she took the higher road. So I say "move on".
actually, my second breakup of this thread was done by text. I was so ******* pissed at her that night (we came home, she went to sleep) and I was looking at her thinking 'nothing in the world is gonna make me get into that bed, I'm outta here'. Bailed and texted her one word from the cab ride home. "Enough". Woke up to a torrent of calls and texts. Ignored them all and went to Cambodia for a bachelor party, drank ****** off for a week, and ignored all her 3x daily calls on the grounds that I owed her nothing, and explanations count as something...let her figure it out. She figured it out, I took her call one day, and two weeks later we were back together. Yeah, I'm an asshole when I want to be. Interestingly I was talking with her friend last week about the whole episode, and her friend was like "I thought you were the biggest asshole for doing that, and then I realised a month later you knew exactly what you were doing...you just wanted her to think about it instead of spelling it out." Correct. Of course, six weeks later, she moved to Canada, and here I am again.

puffdaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jptoor
Got dumped via text.

Worst part, all she said was, "You're an incongruous person. I don't know how to feel about that."
Then she stopped texting me back, and won't return my calls.

That quote seems like it's out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
ruh roh?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
plenty of missing her. But we spoke this morning and had a bit of a blowout. ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads