• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes nice clothing?

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** quality. most people make their clothes fine, only H&M falls apart on me.

what you're looking for is fit.

BoO fits nice and slim while gap shirts fit like a tent.

But, if you have a good tailor, just buy cheap shirts and have them tailored. win win.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I pay a **** load for design, cut, fabric and fit.

KenN

Reaction score
Looks like it's back to school wardrobe shopping season for the college kids. Threads like these come in cycles, someone should do a sociology research based on this forum.

By the way, I buy niche brands just so I don't run into someone else wearing the same thing as me. Most of my purchases are based on intangible factors.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
**** quality. most people make their clothes fine, only H&M falls apart on me.

Quality doesn't just mean durability. Personally I couldn't give two ***** about durability so long as it doesn't break within a few years (which isn't a big ask considering I'd wear most things only twice a week).

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but some mass brands have caught on and make very good fitting slim fit clothing. Both Banana Republic and Calvin Klein have very good ones.

Plus, the mall brands generally have nice discounts regularly, whereas the SF approved brands get discounted twice a year. Many shoppers would never pick up a Gap shirt at full price at $40-$60. I picked up a very nice BR Monogram shirt for ~$17 with material that was made in Italy.

In addition, some of the SF streetwear brands are a little disappointing quality wise as well, given their MSRP retail prices.

However, having said all that.. I do like that there is alot less to choose from and a more cohesive vision from these small designers, and not feeling loss in the sea of clothes that the mass brands pump out. People here will remember something great from Season X from Brand Y, whereas, nobody remembers (or cares) what Gap makes

Also, just because something is made in the USA or Canada is no guarantee for quality nor fair work conditions and wages. There are plenty of low paid immigrant workers (less so now after Bush f*cked up our garment industry) working in the US making clothes... and conditions are arguably not much better than sweatshops overseas.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fit and assembling pieces in an interesting, yet cohesive manner, is going to usually trump high-priced pieces thrown together with little thought.

I'm at a point where I can't freely shell out the bucks for the pricier items that catch my eye each season. It's a bummer, but it emphasizes the concept of not just making do with what you have, but doing so in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Go through the WAYWT threads and you'll see many examples where someone looks fantastic with less than $150 worth of clothing on, including footwear. Conversely, I've seen some pretty ****** outfits comprised of the W+H's of the world.

Whether you're on a champagne or beer budget, you still need to know how to put it all together.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
Sorry, but some mass brands have caught on and make very good fitting slim fit clothing. Both Banana Republic and Calvin Klein have very good ones.

snork[1].gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
If you can't tell the difference, then buy the cheaper stuff. Or better yet, buy expensive stuff and then sell it in B&S when you decide you don't really like it...

+1

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Thanks all.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to tell nice quality fabric and construction?

What is the difference between the various shirt fabrics and styles? I see chambrays, what are their qualities? This must be in a thread somewhere.

Check with your school's admissions office. They should have a guide on how to dress nicely when your mom isn't around to dress you in the morning.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Check with your school's admissions office. They should have a guide on how to dress nicely when your mom isn't around to dress you in the morning.

How does the inside of your ass look? It seems your head fits pretty snuggly in there.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Introduction to College Life 101: Lighten up, Francis.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Fit and assembling pieces in an interesting, yet cohesive manner, is going to usually trump high-priced pieces thrown together with little thought.

+1000

This is why I think a lot of the luxury brands get hate; aside from the pretentiousness the majority of people who wear these labels possess, most of the people that wear these brands expect the brands' cache to instantly make them carefree fashionable europeans the moment they put the clothes on.

I definitely think that before you get into expensive clothing, try to see how much you can milk your cheap items, make friends with a tailor and pay close attention to how the clothes fit at different points on the body and how they work together, also don't be afraid to buy clothes at the op shop, it will give you a good variety to play with at a very low cost.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, when you graduate college you worry about things like "reducing your carbon footprint" and not supporting certain companies who may make a lot of their wares in the third world country in which you were born, and thusly are more wont to pay more to ensure your designer clothes were made by hand in new york, ca, et. al.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, I've been in college for two years now. I've just had my interest in fashion go from 0 to 100 in a week, so that would explain my lack of knowledge of anything.

Jeans and a hoodie all through high school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads