• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Not sure why the "wtf."

I made a mistake on the wine, thought it was a Grange (bigger wine), and thought I'd toss a plea out. I see it was the lesser wine now, which will be approachable sooner. I just need to learn to keep my mouth shut in offering opinions on wines and booze.

I see you've edited your response, and added some further comments.

At the time, I just thought it was weird that you would tell someone not to drink the bottle yet, and when they asked for more info, you responded with nothing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I see you've edited your response, and added some further comments.

At the time, I just thought it was weird that you would tell someone not to drink the bottle yet, and when they asked for more info, you responded with nothing.

I just need to keep my mouth shut. All of us have different taste profiles, when we like to drink our wines, different expectations, etc.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem, Pio. As I said, I respect your opinion. We're heading down to a nice boutique hotel and then Canoe for dinner. We'll drink the RWT before the dinner and I'll report back here in a couple of days!! Wish I had a Grange
wink.gif
And please, no one needs to keep their opinions to themselves. The more ideas/views, the better, as far as this newb is concerned. Cheers, a

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A neighbor dropped by last night with this in her hand. Didn't get a chance to photograph the bottle so I took this pic from my journal.
It's the 2002 Gran Caus from Can Rafols dels Caus from the DO Penedes of Spain! It's a smokey, toasty tobacco and dark fruity blend of 50% Cab Franc, 25% Cab Sav and 25% Merlot. Each was French Oak aged seperately for 10 months before blending. A first taste I was really taken aback by this pour and I'll have to track a bottle down for myself so that I can decant it to really see what she's got!

gran-caus-2002.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who do we have to bribe to get this thread stuck around here? LOL

There's going to be some great recs.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the California Zins and Italian Primitivos.

For ~$10 a bottle Marietta Old Vine Red (a mainly Zin blend) is awesome. For Primitivos, I've only tried a few...Layer Cake is good, so is Amano, and I just picked up Mommy's Day Off and I'll try that on vacation next week.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Zinfandel. An unappreciated grape, IMO. Had a Four Vines cheapie in a Vietnamese restaurant of all places. Ironstone makes a good cheapie, too. Artezin from Mendocino County is good. My current fav is from Sonoma. Gundlach Bundschu 2006. Fabulous! 91/100
GBZin.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked the vintage on the RTW out of the expectation that it would be young; most good reds are sold young. I would give it some time also, but this is an occasion, and sometimes that overrules. Decant though.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rwtgermain.jpg
This was opened upon arrival at the Le Germain Hotel in Toronto in celebration of our 25th Anniversary. We did not have to time to decant, so drank most when we returned after a fabulous dinner at Canoe (see post below). This may have not been a good idea, as by that time, we had Perrier Jouet, martinis and the bottle highlighted in the next post!
smile.gif
That said, Piobaire was indeed correct. The RWT does have epic potential. The fruit is absolutely first class and the wine tastes wonderful, but I could not help thinking as I was drinking that some of the 'soul', the depth, was missing in favour of the alcohol. No razor blades, no bitterness, it was smooth, excellent wine. But some serious aging will turn this from excellent to stunning, I think. 91/100

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
caymuscanoe.jpg

Full disclosure. I adore Napa Cabs. That said, YMMV.
smile.gif

This bottle (decanting on the 51st floor -- Canoe Restaurant) was fabulous. Jammy goodness, stewed fruit, the lot, even after a short, 30 minute decant. We savoured every drop. Had the balance and complexity that I like with top quality fruit. I want a case, plz! 93/100

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of those look just fabulous!
drool.gif
I mean who can pass up jammy goodness
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who resorts to his vinturi in times of need
wink.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if still possible, I'd take "red" out of the title. I've been going on a Italian white extravaganza lately and these must be mentioned. Also, grower champagne, single-vineyard white burgundy, the best German Riesling, Sauternes - epic whites that anybody interested in wine would be doing themselves a disservice by missing.

On topic, this weekend I had a 2000 Grand-Puy-Lacoste, my second 2000 GPL in the past 2 months. It has that unmistakable aged Bordeaux hint coming in nicely, and is quite approachable now. Can't wait to try it in another 5, 15, 25 years.

And the store near my has a handful of bottles of 2000 Leroy AOC Burgundy (full grower, mind you) and I may jump on a bottle or two.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. 2004 + 2. Drinkable now 3. > $40.00 4. 'Clear' style rather than funky
smile.gif
5. Great fruit, delicate, balanced, complex. Does this exist? We had this nice Burgundy at the SF SFO meetup. Was good, but the 2005 Merry Edwards Pinot we had first was IMO much better.
SFOburgundy.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
1. 2004 +
2. Drinkable now
3. > $40.00
4. 'Clear' style rather than funky
smile.gif

5. Great fruit, delicate, balanced, complex.

Does this exist?

for Burgundy, this can be sort of tricky. The prices can inch very high for great wines, it is unfortunate. You could always checking out something like a Latour Chambole-Musigny, or I suggest looking for some wines from the village of Santennay. Ask the 'experts' at your store for some producer suggestions for Santennay, names are drawing a blank for me right now.

I might get this wrong (and I don't feel like googling anything right now), but Santennay is a village just south of the Cote de Bone (sp?) in Burgundy. They make some really solid wines that are much friendlier in price than its northern neighbor or the Cote de Nuits. The best from Santennay will never be confused with something like a Clos Veugot, but they make excellent value plays in the sub-$50 red Burgundy category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics