• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your thoughts on shirt armband?

superfans124

Reaction score
the SF forum thread search engine returned with nothing on armband, so here I go...

Since I am a RTW guy with a bunch of dress shirts and jackets of various sleeve lengths, it won't be a logical solution to alter my entire wardrope, I thought armband would be the most economical resort.

my question is, since armbands are soooo out-of-sight, matter-o-fact I didn't even know they were called "armbands" and had to google around to finally pinpoint what I was looking for, are they as dead as pants suspenders? are people too concerned with armbands that the sight of it indicates the person who is wearing them are wearing cheap shirts (though I only plan to use it to accomodate jackets) or lack of intellegence in alteration?

last question, are they comfortable? from the look of some of the bands on sale I'm afraid they'll block my blood circulation.

what are you thoughts? thank you

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wear them with some of my RTW shirts where the sleeves are too long. Ideally you would just get the shirts altered but arm-bands are a much cheaper short-term solution. I obviously wouldn't wear them without a jacket though, you don't want anyone to see them. I don't really find them uncomfortable at all...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superfans124
are they as dead as pants suspenders?

Huh? Suspenders are far from dead among those who wear suits and many of the better pants still come with suspender buttons. Quite a few people here (myself included) wear them. Armbands, on the other hand, are about to be taken off life support, I believe.
Edit: More armbands out there than I knew. Suspenders, on the other hand, I see every day.

Kazou

Reaction score
I have a pair from the vintage shirt company. Before I started with MTM/MTO shirts I would buy shirts 2L (in Japan) that fit my neck. However, the sleeves were too long but with these, things were in order. Comfortable but It was different at first. Now, when I wear those older shirts I don't really think about it so I never bothered to have them re-tailored.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're fine. Get some from Albert Thurston and grab some boxcloth braces at the same time. I've also seen some for sale on ebay for less. Unless you have bulging biceps, you shouldn't have any circulation problems. Wore mine yesterday at a wedding. Took off my jacket a few times during the reception because I was overheating; no one noticed or commented on them.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a bit wild wild west. It's only $15 to get a shirt sleeve shotened.

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
They're fine. Get some from Albert Thurston and grab some boxcloth braces at the same time. I've also seen some for sale on ebay for less. Unless you have bulging biceps, you shouldn't have any circulation problems. Wore mine yesterday at a wedding. Took off my jacket a few times during the reception because I was overheating; no one noticed or commented on them.

The last manufacturer in the UK stopped making the traditional ones 3 years ago, and we bought
the last 24,000 pairs - now only a few dozen left, so...get buying!
There are some cheap imitations coming out of China but I have to say they are a poor substitute.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bracemaker
The last manufacturer in the UK stopped making the traditional ones 3 years ago, and we bought the last 24,000 pairs - now only a few dozen left, so...get buying! There are some cheap imitations coming out of China but I have to say they are a poor substitute.
You sold 24,000 pair? I never see these on anyone and it seems like someone who would worry about this would get their shirts made. I suppose the fact they are no longer made is an indication of their popularity. Still, I think an American would consider these a quaint affectation which evokes a world not dissimilar to the dogs playing pool velvet painting.

jmacak

Reaction score
Hiya

Of those 24k pairs, I bought two pairs. I found that even though I altered my sleeve length to fit correctly for one jacket, the length might not be right for another jacket--maybe because of arm-hole height or size or the lining material, or whatever.

With the arm bands, I can adjust the length in real time, and that is a good thing.

-j

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You sold 24,000 pair? I never see these on anyone and it seems like someone who would worry about this would get their shirts made. I suppose the fact they are no longer made is an indication of their popularity. Still, I think an American would consider these a quaint affectation which evokes a world not dissimilar to the dogs playing pool velvet painting.

In the dim and distant past I have sold 36,000 to one customer...
They were a hot item in Japan a few years ago - there was a fad for European shirts with European sleeve lengths - hence the demand.
The last maker ('St George' was their brand) were taken over by a US car spring manufacturer - they bought the business as the UK company made springs for the UK car industry as well. The armband machines were Edwardian and pretty well knackered - so in the fullness of time they must have decided there was little future in them, and stopped.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seriously, how hard is it to have sleeves that fit?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bracemaker
In the dim and distant past I have sold 36,000 to one customer... They were a hot item in Japan a few years ago - there was a fad for European shirts with European sleeve lengths - hence the demand. The last maker ('St George' was their brand) were taken over by a US car spring manufacturer - they bought the business as the UK company made springs for the UK car industry as well. The armband machines were Edwardian and pretty well knackered - so in the fullness of time they must have decided there was little future in them, and stopped.
I'm sure on some, they look quite doggie: [URL='http://img95.imageshack.us/i/dogsplayingpoolbydanmcm.jpg/'] [/URL]

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My tailor tend to make my shirts with too long sleeves that shrinks down to their proper size after two washes. I think arm bands may come in handy in the initial wearings. Where to get them online?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
seriously, how hard is it to have sleeves that fit?

That was my thought as well, but given it's unlikely anyone will see them, I suppose there's nothing wrong with them. People can't disapprove of something they can't see.

Just remember to wear a black one if they shoot the man who said "peace could last forever."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads