• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
love the mock crock, is it yearling with the stamp of mock crock?

My mocks are very comfortable - I wouldn't be surprised if it was yearling. The lining is very supple. The pattern is also pretty realistic FWIW - I've fooled a few people into thinking they're real crocodile.
devil.gif
The wear creases also blend very well with the crock pattern.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAMN, the leather on those macqueries looks so smooth! None of my RMW boots ever looked that nice.

amce

Reaction score
Thanks. The Macquaries haven't been out in the wild yet. I've conditioned them and am now going to polish them up with RM's polish goo.

Cheers

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
^^^^^^^
i have also got conditioner on the elastics (the edges) it usualy drys off or goes away but my shoes are black so i dont know. ultimatily the elastics can be replaced by RMW if it is that bad but generaly you pants cover that part of the boot anyway. as for the shine. you wont get a high shine from conditioner and it also depends what degree of shine you want.
to get a nice shine, buy some RMW shoe polish as we have learned it does not contain alcohol, and wipe it over the entire shoe with a clean rag or tooth brush. leave it there for a while (an hour or so until it has dried) then buff off with a buff brush fast and and i bit of pressure also. afterwards go over with a cloth wrapped aroung a finger and very quickily rub all over (the faster, the more friction is generated thus a better shine) if you want a mirror shine then search 'bull shine' or 'bulling' on SF, i've never done it so i cant really comment.

regards

Oh yea, I know that my pants will cover the elastics ... but just annoying I guess ... with regards to the high shine - I meant using the RM Williams 'chestnut' polish (not the conditioner) ... but how confident are you about keeping the polish on the leather for such a long time?! I would have thought this would cause uneven, dark 'stains' to appear? (isn't that what many on SF refer to as antiquing???)

Originally Posted by amce
I tend to be very careful when applying conditioner or polish around the elastics. Even so I've managed to get a few spots on them but they are hardly noticeable. Managed to scrap off a conditioner spot with my fingernail. Polish spots brushed off with time.

About the shine: I've achieved a really nice one on my black French Calf Craftsman by the same method Wrigglez describes. When applying the polish (RMW's now days!) I put a small amount on the cloth and then dip it in water. Rub it in, wait about an hour then buff with a soft cloth and finally with a nylon stocking.

Cheers

And again, now adding water?! I'd be worried that it would stain the leather - especially leaving on for such a relatively long amount of time ...

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
And again, now adding water?! I'd be worried that it would stain the leather - especially leaving on for such a relatively long amount of time ...
Well, we're not talking litres of the stuff. Just a few drops. It emulsifies into the polish in some way. Compare it with spit-polishing - a time-tried method for obtaining a shine. Check out the video at this link: http://garra.jp/style/tailored/index.html , click on the shoes in the bookcase. You can see how the guy wets his cloth with help of the water pump thingy (according to those in the know it does contain water). Cheers

snowtrooper

Reaction score
Can someone adviced me which of the following should i go with? This would be the first time i ordered R.M. William chelsea boot

1. B500F Bushman Flatheel (flat heel, chestnut, unlined)
2. B555 Macquarie (flatheel chestnut)
3. B530 Turnout (flatheel chestnut)

i am looking for something that is not too dressy and is suitable in business causual environment as well as jean. I would be ordering from bootonline and also, i wear US 8C in redwings and 7UK , would a 7 G be the best fit for me. Also, how tall are those boot? Are they 6'' or 8''

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowtrooper
Can someone adviced me which of the following should i go with? This would be the first time i ordered R.M. William chelsea boot

i am looking for something that is not too dressy and is suitable in business causual environment as well as jean. I would be ordering from bootonline and also, i wear US 8C in redwings and 7UK , would a 7 G be the best fit for me. Also, how tall are those boot? Are they 6'' or 8''

The Macquarie is a beautiful shape and I highly recommend it for business casual plus jeans. The turnout is for people with slightly wider feet as the toebox is roomier. No experience with the Bushman.

I think 7Gs are far too small for you. I wear a 7.5D in the Allen Edmonds and I wear a 7G/7.5F in the RMWs. The way RMW makes them, the lengths are actually the same.

I would actually recommend a RMW 8F for you as it's a nice slim shape.

If you really want to play it safe, order the 7.5G from australianboot.com (based in Canada) and then you'll get a solid idea of sizing.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowtrooper

Can wholeheartedly agree with wetnose. The Macquarie on the B555 would be your best choice. It is available as a RTW with the leather sole. You can get an idea of what they look like from the pics I posted earlier. As a MTO you could most likely get it with a comfort sole. It might not turn out as sleek though.

Sizes baffle me. I have 9.5 H in all my Comfort Craftsman and 9.5 G in my Macquaries and both fit great. Won't venture any advice here.

On another note, has anyway had any thoughts about the Ladies Tapered Flat Heel? Check it out on the Wimmera and Durack models in the catalogue. I think it would add sleekness to the men's models.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about RMW women's boots lately. Want to buy a pair for the wife. Not really sure which way to go yet, though. I guess we'll decide when we get to the Sydney store soon.

Ged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Been thinking about RMW women's boots lately. Want to buy a pair for the wife. Not really sure which way to go yet, though. I guess we'll decide when we get to the Sydney store soon.

For my wife, I went for black French Veal calf on the Macquarie last, with a screwed sole. They look pretty damn good.

Ged

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged
For my wife, I went for black French Veal calf on the Macquarie last, with a screwed sole. They look pretty damn good. Ged
What heel did you choose? Any pics? Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ged
For my wife, I went for black French Veal calf on the Macquarie last, with a screwed sole. They look pretty damn good.

Ged

Nice. We'll see if mine chooses the same.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A female friend of mine quite liked the Jarrahwood before we saw it in person the other day. They appeared a comfortable, sweet-looking boot from the catalogue, but up close they didn't really do anything for either of us in terms of the shape or leather quality - may as well have been the generic female-shoe-store boots, only these RMs were 3 times the price at $600+.

I have to say I was a little disappointed
confused.gif

Ged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
What heel did you choose? Any pics?

Cheers

The plain heel - she complained she would have preferred a higher heel, but then admitted not a Cuban. So what did she want? We men will never know...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads