• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to see, do and buy in Lisbon/Portugal?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving for three weeks in twelve hours. With the little wife. This is sort of a belated honeymoon, so we're willing to spend a bit for quality.

We're staying at some hotel called Eden, which is smack in the middle of town, for the first four or five days, and we'll then decide on excursions by train or rental car.

I've never been to Portugal before, and beyond general knowledge, leafing through the Lonely Planet guide and some tentative googling, I know nothing.

Please help...

allreds

Reaction score
I hope you get the chance to see this post, because you must travel to nearby Evora (a fantastic walled city) and see this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome back! I haven't been to Portugal either, so I can't help. But it's good to see you posting again.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
I hope you get the chance to see this post, because you must travel to nearby Evora (a fantastic walled city) and see this.

Thanks, will see it this coming week, I think we'll be taking a day trip there around the weekend.

Originally Posted by JayJay
Welcome back! I haven't been to Portugal either, so I can't help. But it's good to see you posting again.

Thanks! I've been lurking a bit lately again, but WTF what a busy year....that's my excuse...

Copied from other thread I stupidly made: I had a look at the finer antiques shops here, a lot of fine stuff, and some super, but nothing really spectactular yet. The antiquarian booksellers seem very good, I only looked in the windows of those. I've decided to work myself systematically through the ceramics museum and the military one, and do some hit-and-run visits to the others.

It's off to the Sunday flea-market tomorrow, you'll never learn as much about a place's history and values as when you see it's junk/antiques markets.

And yes, the Portuguese had colonies all over the place, it's an extraordinary mix of races here, - I've never seen more mixed-race couples anywhere, which is a good thing in itself, of course. Well just look what the mixing has done to the food...

A hell of a lot of insisting beggars, though.

854ca

Reaction score
Around Lisbon there are two places:

Belem--Mosteiro dos Jeronimos and the Torre de Belem.

Sintra--MUST go to Palacio da Pena, and you can get a package deal and get into the Quinta da Regaleira as well which is well worth it.

I would definitely recommend going up to Porto, the 2nd biggest city, and enjoying that for a day or two--the Franciscan church is great there, you can enjoy port wine across the river, and just enjoy the beautiful views. From there you can get to Braga and Guimaraes very easily, which are both very fun--Bom Jesus in Braga and the castle in Guimaraes are well-recommended.

If you STILL have time, obviously Evora is worth it, and Sines is a nice little town as well somewhat in the area.

Let me know if you have more questions, I just got back from studying abroad there and LOVED it. Try out bacalhau and vinho verde
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was quite young when i visited Portugal, but it was really beautiful. One of the things I remember most is a lookout or hill with a fantastic view of Lisbon. We were up there at sunset and it provided an incredible sight. I can remember a canon on it, so it must have been part of some kind of defensive structure. I can't be any more specific about it than that. There was a dish called beef steak served in a clay dish that I had at every restaurant we went to because I didn't like fish. I thought it was awesome, but I couldn't have been more than 10, so my taste buds weren't quite as refined as they are today. We visited some palace with beautifully manicured gardens as well. Maybe it was the one mentioned by the above poster.. I'd definitely like to go back after I cross some other places off the list. There's a photographer in the olympus forums I lurk in that takes really nice landscape photos of the beaches there. Describing it as picturesque would be an understatement.

854ca

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I was quite young when i visited Portugal, but it was really beautiful. One of the things I remember most is a lookout or hill with a fantastic view of Lisbon. We were up there at sunset and it provided an incredible sight. I can remember a canon on it, so it must have been part of some kind of defensive structure. I can't be any more specific about it than that. There was a dish called beef steak served in a clay dish that I had at every restaurant we went to because I didn't like fish. I thought it was awesome, but I couldn't have been more than 10, so my taste buds weren't quite as refined as they are today. We visited some palace with beautifully manicured gardens as well. Maybe it was the one mentioned by the above poster.. I'd definitely like to go back after I cross some other places off the list. There's a photographer in the olympus forums I lurk in that takes really nice landscape photos of the beaches there. Describing it as picturesque would be an understatement.

There's several awesome look-out points--the one you mentioned is probably the Lisbon castle, Castelo Sao Jorge. The other one is in Graca; to the OP, if you ask at your hotel they'll easily be able to point you to either of the two. I personally like the Graca one better.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for Porto. It's east to ake the train there. Arrange a cruise up the Douro to taste wine, visit a port lodge (you can do this Lisbon of course--it's a must). There is also a famous soap and perfume shop, Claus, in Porto. The shop itself dates from the late 19th century and is beautiful. I believe that you buy custom scents.

Will you go to the beaches in Portugal? They are beautiful.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have Bakkalaw, a local fish dish, very good.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allreds
Ah, I saw the post, but we had to choose between Sintra and Evora, and Sintra it was:
Sintrar.jpg
Sintrau.jpg
Sintragrotto.jpg
Originally Posted by JayJay
Thanks! I'll try to get up to my old speed here...
Originally Posted by 854ca
Around Lisbon there are two places: Belem--Mosteiro dos Jeronimos and the Torre de Belem. Sintra--MUST go to Palacio da Pena, and you can get a package deal and get into the Quinta da Regaleira as well which is well worth it.
Yep, saw those, the funny thing about Sintra is really that it's been a resort for over a thousand years, - even the moors went there to cool down in the mountains when Lisbon got too hot. The palaces were great, Pena is closely related to my other Disneyesque favourite, Neuschwanstein, so I really enjoyed it.
Originally Posted by 854ca
There's several awesome look-out points--the one you mentioned is probably the Lisbon castle, Castelo Sao Jorge. The other one is in Graca; to the OP, if you ask at your hotel they'll easily be able to point you to either of the two. I personally like the Graca one better.
Yeah, saw the castle, amazing views and an impressive collection of cannons, particularly a huge bronze 16th century number. GQgeek - was the beef anything like this? This is a fairly regular steak, but with Brazilian-style coffee sauce, I had it three times over two weeks, just couldn't resist it. Pic of the street restaurant "Sud-Ouest" (that's the most efficient waiter I've ever seen to the right in the picture). Not exactly an upscale place, but really the best food we could find for the money. We paid literally fifteen times the amount in a "nicer" restaurant, and while even the nicer one was very cheap for what we got the one between the dumpsters in the street ruled.
DSC08476.jpg
Originally Posted by philosophe
I second the recommendation for Porto. It's east to ake the train there. Arrange a cruise up the Douro to taste wine, visit a port lodge (you can do this Lisbon of course--it's a must). There is also a famous soap and perfume shop, Claus, in Porto. The shop itself dates from the late 19th century and is beautiful. I believe that you buy custom scents. Will you go to the beaches in Portugal? They are beautiful.
Didn't go to Porto, but the beaches just outside Lisbon were great:
DSC08614.jpg
DSC08609.jpg
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Have Bakkalaw, a local fish dish, very good.
Had a lot!
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Supposed to spectacular with some new, fantastic wines.
Stayed in town, I'm afraid (we did a lot of museums too). And besides, my wife is a rather serious foodie. The thing is, the country is cheap, even in the rather touristy capital, although I suppose the Algarve coast isn't.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wine and liquor tha is rarly exported out of portugal

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled why portugal isn't a more popular destination.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because of the Portuguese living there.

j.k.

854ca

Reaction score

I'm not sure either, but it could be b/c it's somewhat new to the Euro (2001 I think) and it was under a dictatorship until the mid-70s, so it's still a relatively "new" country compared to the usual European destinations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads