• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please build me a computer (NOT GETTING A MAC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I literally cannot stand computers.

Money isn't much of a concern, honestly. I work on my computer and while I don't know any crazy **** I generally do have many many things going on at once (a lot of video files... Appreciation, art films, dailies, usually a teleconference type thing, music, a lot of internet windows and programs like final draft and Reason - that one can take a lot).

So, I'm tired of my laptop being too slow. Can I just buy my way to a computer that can do most of these simple things without waiting for **** to load and whatever? I want to use Windows. I don't understand UNIX or whatever it is, and no I will never get a mac.

If I were to buy something with a really fast processor and a ton of ram would the damn thing just do what I ask it to do as soon as I click on it?

Very recently my friend came to live with me while he was waiting for his place to be finished and he's a well respected fashion photographer. He has a computer that he used for really high flying video and photo editing and I used it for a day doing all the above things and honestly it worked like a dream. It's overkill for what I need, but it really worked.

So can you guys help me buy components or point me to a brand that will make some motherfucker of a computer (I don't need gay graphics capabilities)... just something that will let me type/internet/Appreciation/videos/everything in ******* peace? The security guard downstairs has a son at DePaul doing computer engineering or whatever and I've told him I'll hire the kid to come assemble it... but he isn't around (he's volunteering in Sri Lanka or whatever). Please help me.

Thank you, much appreciated.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
why don't you just buy a macbook pro?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
why don't you just buy a macbook pro?
Someone please design me one of those FU graphics. IM NOT SOME ****** HIPSTER WHO WANTS TO WRITE EMO HAIKUS IN STARBUCKS for **** sake. This is for a desktop by the way. I have a laptop I can use for when I'm on the move.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Someone please design me one of those FU graphics.
seriously. buy a macbook pro, install windows on it and you're fine. I honestly don't think you'll be able to really tax it, it's simple to use, the customer service is decent, and if you know nothing about computers, why do you care if it's a mac? I don't know why you want to **** around with buying parts and building your own. even if someone here gives you a list and you pay someone else to assemble it, upkeep can be a total *****.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
fine, if you want to be a ***** about it, http://www.dell.com/xps there is nothing in your requirements that necessitate building your own system.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously. buy a macbook pro, install windows on it and you're fine. I honestly don't think you'll be able to really tax it, it's simple to use, the customer service is decent, and if you know nothing about computers, why do you care if it's a mac?

I don't know why you want to **** around with buying parts and building your own. even if someone here gives you a list and you pay someone else to assemble it, upkeep can be a total *****.

1) People told me the best way to get a good computer that works well is to do it yourself so there are no cheap ****** components
2) I didnt know you can upgrade a mac to be a windows thing... and I hate the stupid one mouse button thing. There's a lot of right click functions in final draft that I need to use.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
1) People told me the best way to get a good computer that works well is to do it yourself so there are no cheap ****** components 2) I didnt know you can upgrade a mac to be a windows thing... and I hate the stupid one mouse button thing. There's a lot of right click functions in final draft that I need to use.
I use a normal mouse with my mac laptop, but if you don't want to get a mac, then don't get one. Yes, building your own computer is nice, but if you don't have the knowledge to manage it once it's built (and upgrade it in the future), and you can buy a perfectly fine computer prebuilt, then why not do that? Building your own will save you money, but as you said, that doesn't matter to you. I would just go to that dell XPS site, pick out a nice desktop, get a decent warranty, and use it for a year or two.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, building your own computer is nice, but if you don't have the knowledge to manage it once it's built (and upgrade it in the future), and you can buy a perfectly fine computer prebuilt, then why not do that? Building your own will save you money, but as you said, that doesn't matter to you.

I would just go to that dell XPS site, pick out a nice desktop, get a decent warranty, and use it for a year or two.

You're absolutely right. People just told me doing it yourself is the best. But as long as this stuff from Dell isn't likely to break because they use ****** parts then I'm fine with the markup.

Do people generally think the parts are good (though I'm sure overpriced?)

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
You're absolutely right. People just told me doing it yourself is the best. But as long as this stuff from Dell isn't likely to break because they use ****** parts then I'm fine with the markup.

Do people generally think the parts are good (though I'm sure overpriced?)

they are good enough for what you need. in the past when I built my own computers I did so for gaming purposes, and what I was required was vastly different from what you need, differences that 'justified' going super premium for every part.

I do not have first hand experience with the XPS line, but I have owned Dell and the past and would not hesitate to buy from them again in the future.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. I know how to build computers and I don't do it for people anymore. I have a place nearby where I know the service is good, I call them and spec it out, and they build the computers and warranty them for 1 year labor/3 yrs parts, and the custom build costs like $80 (ridiculously cheap for the level of service). That is what I would do if it were for anyone but me. For myself, I would build one myself (or buy a Mac Pro and run Windows/Linux on it, since you can't come near the power for $) but if you don't know how to work on it, get a warranty.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are good enough for what you need. in the past when I built my own computers I did so for gaming purposes, and what I was required was vastly different from what you need, differences that 'justified' going super premium for every part.

I do not have first hand experience with the XPS line, but I have owned Dell and the past and would not hesitate to buy from them again in the future.

I'm ordering one now... just getting through all the useless **** they try to up sell you at the end.

Thanks for your help.

Is norton antivirus a good thing to have? I heard it's bad.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
norton sucks. got nod32. parts are the same in prebuilts, just markuped for labor

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't get a Dell!

Unless you don't mind over paying for under power. I went through a "home brew" phase in the 1990s, when I built my own boxes, but then got boxes for both wife and me from Dell for several years. When I decided to game a bit again last fall, I wanted a gaming notebook, so priced Dell XPS line (what Tiggy is suggesting). Got more computer for 1/3 the price from Toshiba. Almost a year old, and flawless performance.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you put the rest of the money in health care insurance?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the "build your own PC with parts" business has devolved into a bit of a racket these days. How is the end-consumer going to source components for less money than giants like Dell and HP? The answer is he's not.

With the incentives big PC manufacturers are offering do to the economy, I doubt you'll build cheaper buying through Newegg or Tiger Direct.

The reason to build your own PC would be if you want pack it full of nerdy gear like double-video cards, 5 extra fans, 1000 watt power supply, and liquid cooling. Nevermind that this extra $1,000 worth of **** is only going to get you the smallest marginal bit of increased preformance. In the age of console-to-PC game ports, current games aren't even close to maxing out PC hardware that's over 1 year old.

You want a computer that just loads **** fast in Windows. Google a promotional code for Dell or HP and for less than $1,000 you ought to get:

-New intel i7 chip and Vista 64 or Windows 7
- 6MB of tri-channel ram.
-Big hard drive
-Good video card

That's what I did last december and this desktop is very easy on my nerves. I hate using my laptop because it is sloooooooow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads