• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much do you normally spend on sports events tickets?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, quick question - I pretty much only go to sporting events for work, and then I get really good tickets. now I am taking my son and father to a cubs game, later this summer, and I am wondering if I am spending an obscene amount of money for a ball game. I got used to the good seats.

so, what do you normally spend for a ball bame?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for the most part we do college games, or high school if we know someone in the game. If we watch the Lastros: cheapest seats we can get ($5). By the third inning, most of the good seats are empty anyway.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing for sports, but unlimited funds for concerts, opreas, recitals and stuff.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
In toronto you can get baseball tickets for like 10-20$. el cheapo.

EDIT: for basketball I spend considerably more. Maybe 10-30 times more, depending on how Im feeling.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With the two new ballparks opening in NYC, I stopped going...if I felt like getting robbed I'd walk through Newark to go to a Devils game.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I answered this question as though I were going to an Orioles game, and O's tix are not terribly pricey. You can get great seats for less than $50 a pop.

But this is a really impossible question - depends on where you live, the sport, etc. I answered in baseball terms b/c that's what the OP seemed to be asking, but I'd imagine it's different getting a seat in Wrigley than at Camden Yards, where we've been treated to a decade of losing baseball.

I also have season tickets to the Ravens, and those seats are well over $100/pop, plus the seat license, so it can really differ.

Considering you're going with your kids, I'd recommend getting good enough seats that you're not in the drunk and swearing section, but you don't necessarily have to be right behind home plate for the magic to happen.

The highest ticket value I've ever held (I didn't buy these, they were a hookup) was a night session at the US Open (tennis), incredible seats in the 2nd row, early in the tournament. I think the face value was something like $400. Crazy - I'd never actually pay that myself. I don't think.
smile.gif

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've gone to a single sporting even in the last 5 years that wasn't work-related. Kind of sad now that I think about it! I can tell you it would be tough going back to anything but primo seats, though.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I don't think I've gone to a single sporting even in the last 5 years that wasn't work-related. Kind of sad now that I think about it! I can tell you it would be tough going back to anything but primo seats, though.

As a season ticket holder at the Garden for the Rangers, this drives me NUTS. I know that most of the season ticket holders are companies that use them for business. The place is nothing like what it used to be like when my dad took me as a kid. Even as late as the early 1990s the whole building was filled with rabid fans, who cared about the team. Now the whole lower half is dead weight, and the team sucks...

I look at places like Edmonton, Carolina, and Pittsburgh where the "real" fans, who spend their hard earned money, sit on the glass, and those are teams that are consistantly successful. Even Detroit has a large element of that.

Nothing against those who take advantage of these tickets, hell, I would, but when so many go unused it takes so much away from the game and the excitement on the field/ice.

I look at the first few rows of Yankee games at the new Stadium and its a disgrace. Those tickets were originally $2500 a pop, and when the companies balked at those prices, they stayed empty...even now, they were lowered to 1250 each, but people won't pay it. BLEACHER seats at the new stadium are $75. At least at Citifield the robbery isn't that bad...you can get a (crappy) seat for $35.

rant over

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me? Sporting events?
lol8[1].gif
I always get the best seats available to those without a subscription when I go to the symphony or the opera though! In Montreal that's about 250/pr.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks - yeah, for work sometimes I spent up to $300 for a ticket for the cubs. I am spending 110 for fantastic seats to see the cubs and mets later on in the summer, with my father and son, but thought I might be nuts to do that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
As a season ticket holder at the Garden for the Rangers, this drives me NUTS. I know that most of the season ticket holders are companies that use them for business.
I have season tickets for the Colts, but did not enjoy the games as much last year as I did in prior years. Although I have club seats, I found in the new stadium that most of the seats around me are held by companies, which wasn't the case where I sat in the club section in the RCA Dome. It's not quite the same with different people at each game, some who are seemingly more concerned about taking photos and eating than watching the game.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
thanks - yeah, for work sometimes I spent up to $300 for a ticket for the cubs. I am spending 110 for fantastic seats to see the cubs and mets later on in the summer, with my father and son, but thought I might be nuts to do that.
Sounds reasonable for good seats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads