• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

No, I see all kinds of disgusting stains on shirts. Frankly I'm quite surprised at what Goodwill/SA managers think consumers will tolerate. Some of it is just nasty. But, there are lots of perfect shirts as well, and even the odd NWT shirt. I basically look at the cuffs, points of the collar and the collar itself to make sure it's not worn or colored. Then I check the pits and look for any other stains, marks, tears, etc. If it passes the test and is a reputable/quality make in my size, it comes home. I find a lot of shirts that pass this test actually, but the vast majority don't. If you dont' find a single shirt, maybe it is the heat. It would make sense that shirts down there are more susceptible to sweat staining.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday at lunch:
I found four unworn ties at the local Goodwill - $6.88 for the lot. They only have a small tag identifying them as "Italian silk, handmade in Boulder, CO" (???). I've never seen that tag but they are all really beautiful and well made.

Carrot & Gibbs

heisenberg

Reaction score
Usually I'm not too big into the thrifting game, but I found myself outside of my normal area and decided to take a look in the store. Ended up with a pare of lightly used black C&J Weymouths - 10E. Perfect size. Now comes the big decision - B&S forum, or keep them and rotate with my AE PAs.

Couple months back, I also picked up a pair of RRL jeans with a green tag. Having issues getting any details on them - will have to post pics later.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants Hermes ties, there are 8 at the Chelsea Goodwill on W 25th near 6th Ave. I hate that Goodwill b/c their prices are ridiculous. In this case, they want $20 a tie - $160 for all 8. I don't think I paid $20 total for the 5 Kiton ties that I've thrifted over the last few months. The clerk said "you won't find a Hermes tie for $20". Maybe, but I still couldn't justify it. They are all very nice ties though, nothing too loud or obnoxious, very nice patterns and colors.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today at a Salvation Army I was going through the racks of suits, and my heart almost stopped when I saw a Gieves & Hawkes label! But I was quickly disappointed when I looked on the other side of the lining and saw another label indicating that this was Gieves & Hawkes for Bloomingdales?!??!!! wtf? Anybody heard about this collaboration before? Must have been short-lived... Anyway the suit was nothing special. I didn't know G&H had sold out!
butbut.gif
Further down the rack was a beautiful blazer made for Everard's - surgeon's cuffs, highest quality throughout, pick stitching, fully canvassed, bemberg lining, etc. etc. - obviously heads and shoulders above any department store or JAB crap. Unfortunately it was a bit beat up, so I had to leave it... Point is I would have expected the Gieves & Hawkes to be of similar quality to the Everard's -- but it was no better than a Mani for Macy's or a Stafford or a Brooksleaze or Today's Man (you know what they say about Today's Man -- it's Tomorrow's mistake!)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

Point is I would have expected the Gieves & Hawkes to be of similar quality to the Everard's -- but it was no better than a Mani for Macy's or a Stafford or a Brooksleaze or Today's Man (you know what they say about Today's Man -- it's Tomorrow's mistake!)

Licensed; some made by Hickey Freeman.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bath in Oxy-clean will remove those easily. So don't let them deter you.

speizer

Reaction score
Found a Barney's merino wool sweater at an estate sale today for $2. Seems to be in great condition and fits me pretty well, so I'm happy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
Ended up with a pare of lightly used black C&J Weymouths - 10E. Perfect size. Now comes the big decision - B&S forum, or keep them and rotate with my AE PAs.

Not a hard decision--keep them! If you don't want both sell the AEs, but I'd keep both.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Every once in awhile I get a weird itch to go way out of my way to visit a store here or there on a hunch. Today was one of those days.

I found a Delfino soft leather two-tone briefcase for $3, a Monterrey straw Panama hat $4, and a Pilgrim vintage Homburg hat $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads