• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vibram 5 fingers

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use Vibram 5 Fingers? I have been reading a lot about barefoot running and I actually gave it a shot this week. I had a lot less ankle pain than I usually experience; however, I am not sure I really want to run totally barefoot all the time. The Vibrams seem like a cool solution, although I know there are some more traditionally looking alternatives out there. Any experiences?

mikej77

Reaction score
I see a few people wearing them at Crossfit, most like them for lifting. As for running, I have been using the Nike Frees for the last couple of months. I don't go out and run 10 miles at a time in them but for sprinting and shorter runs, I really like them. They are extremely light and just enough cushion.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love running POSE (similar to barefoot in theory), but after a few weeks/months I get stress reactions in my feet. Whether it's due to high arches or too much weight or what-have-you, I don't know.

CorneliusP

Reaction score
I got the KSO model for barefoot weightlifting at a tip from my old gym owner. Then I had to move to a new gym where I was kicked out for wearing them because they "wouldn't protect my feet from dropped weights." Before I left I asked the manager if his running shoes were rated by ANSI as foot protection and was told that I probably wouldn't be welcome at that gym.

I went back the next day with a new pair of chucks and had to apologize to get in. Only gym close enough to get to by bike
frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CorneliusP
I got the KSO model for barefoot weightlifting at a tip from my old gym owner. Then I had to move to a new gym where I was kicked out for wearing them because they "wouldn't protect my feet from dropped weights." Before I left I asked the manager if his running shoes were rated by ANSI as foot protection and was told that I probably wouldn't be welcome at that gym.

I went back the next day with a new pair of chucks and had to apologize to get in. Only gym close enough to get to by bike
frown.gif

Hahahaha...he must've confused the toe shells of the chucks with steel toe plates.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score

frown.gif

That is truly funny.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Seriously, wtf is that. Sneakers are not going to protect anything.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run and play in VFFs. I love them. They will change your running style. I don't know about that POSE ****. I do what came naturally - mostly run on my toes. Feels great, can go way further. Think about the line between your skull and heel when you run on your heels. On strike, it's a straight line. The shock goes right through your body and stresses everything. When you run on your toes, you're like a spring and you distribute the shock.
shoesbarefoot.png
I've looked at alternatives and I see nothing that seems to be on the same level. Either they have too much padding and eliminate all advantages (Nike Frees), or the soles are too thin and will wear through. http://www.barefootrunner.com/category/reviews/ You absolutely must try them on before buying though, as they size large. Like damn large (size and a half for me).

CorneliusP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
^ Seriously, wtf is that. Sneakers are not going to protect anything.

I left out the part of that anecdote of a trainer that first approached me before I spoke to the manager. The trainer actually suggested that I wear steel toe boots while lifting - which I said I would go get from my office nearby - before the manager interrupted and the spiel that I described before took place.

I don't do anything with my VFFs now except show them to friends when I'm feeling goofy. Waste of 80 bucks? Maybe. They're still neat and I throw them on to walk to the supermarket.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

frown.gif

That's horseshit.

I have a pair of KSO's and Sprints, and they're the only shoes that I wear to the gym. They're like God's gift to compound lifts. I get all sorts of dodgy looks for them, but luckily I'm already in a relationship.

Seriously, they're worth every penny.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i workout bare foot a lot, i work at the gym i workout at so no one says anything. but i do want to get a pair of the Sprints for running and lifting in

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run barefoot or use track spikes (right now using Asics HyperSprint) on the track.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have two but don't use them to run or lift. might start running on sand with them.

turbozed

Reaction score
It's kinda scary how the thread topics mirror the other forums I'm on.

I started the same thread a couple of days ago on the S&P forum and it shows up here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads