• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first car. Recc one under 15k

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I wasn't trying to be a prick. 3-series is a compact sub-luxury sport sedan/coupe. I went through the "keep out of warranty and pay out the ass for maintenance" thing with my first few cars and I now realize how stupid that was.
Yes, when being ranked in CR, etc. it'll be considered entry-level luxury, but overall I think it's safe to consider any BMW, MBs, Jags, Audis luxury vehicles for reliability/maintenance discussion. Truthfully, I would have to agree about keeping them out of warranty. My 3 series was purchased cash, so I figure I will drive it till it dies. In the future, I will never purchase a new car. It will either be used, with an intention to only drive for 6 months - 2 years before reselling, or leased.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be a prick. 3-series is a compact sub-luxury sport sedan/coupe. I went through the "keep out of warranty and pay out the ass for maintenance" thing with my first few cars and I now realize how stupid that was. BMW is offering excellent lease rates and selling cars for at (without negotiation) or under invoice depending on model. OP could be in a 328 for around ~$400-500/mo with no money down. No maintenance costs and a 4yr bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would rather pay $450/mo., invest the remainder of my money wisely, incur no other costs, and drive one of the best cars on the road with all the latest technology, safety features, and slick 6sp manual, than write a check of $12,000 for a used beater Civic/Mazda/GTI(wtf? fail car) with a history unknown to me and potential maintenance costs. For example, I had a friend who several years back thought he had a great deal on a 2001 Integra with 16K miles on it for 14,000. He did not discover that it had been flipped in a severe accident and shoddily repaired until he was himself involved in a minor accident in it. No thanks.
He could buy a new Civic Si for 300/mo. He could buy a new Civic LX for 200/mo. How is anything you said worth listening to?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
He could buy a new Civic Si for 300/mo. He could buy a new Civic LX for 200/mo. How is anything you said worth listening to?

1) A Civic SI is a Civic and not a BMW 328. Civics are economy cars. They are boring to drive. They are slow. They have very cheap interior materials. The new generation is quite ugly.
2) Civic SI comes with 3 yr/36K warranty.
3) Honda does not cover any scheduled maintenance.

How is anything you've said worth listening to? I would rather pay $400/mo. than $300/mo. for a significantly inferior car. You only live once. DIAF.

Cavalier

Reaction score
BMW is offering excellent lease rates and selling cars for at (without negotiation) or under invoice depending on model. OP could be in a 328 for around ~$400-500/mo with no money down. No maintenance costs and a 4yr bumper-to-bumper warranty. I would rather pay $450/mo., invest the remainder of my money wisely, incur no other costs, and drive one of the best cars on the road with all the latest technology, safety features, and slick 6sp manual, than write a check of $12,000 for a used beater Civic/Mazda/GTI(wtf? fail car) with a history unknown to me and potential maintenance costs. For example, I had a friend who several years back thought he had a great deal on a 2001 Integra with 16K miles on it for 14,000. He did not discover that it had been flipped in a severe accident and shoddily repaired until he was himself involved in a minor accident in it. No thanks.

$500 a month, plus insurance probably isn't wise for someone with out a nice income. After two years, he will have spent more then a very nice used Honda and be left with nothing.

The fact he couldn't tell the car had been flipped and repaired poorly means he is a dumb ass. Not only could he have gotten a car fax (which I always recommend for those purchasing a used car), but he should have had the car inspected since he was not qualified to do so.

In two years, my Civic SI has gone up in value... I purchased it to lessen the mileage on my BMW (for long drives... i.e. Chicago ~400+ miles each way), but learned a valuable lesson.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
The fact he couldn't tell the car had been flipped and repaired poorly means he is a dumb ass. Not only could he have gotten a car fax (which I always recommend for those purchasing a used car), but he should have had the car inspected since he was not qualified to do so.

As the saying goes, CarFax reports punish the good guys and aid crooks.

In his case, the car had a completely clean Carfax upon purchase. When he went to sell the car, Carfax finally came up with frame damage from three years earlier.

Agree on having the car independantly inspected, however. He was purchasing from what he thought was a reputable dealer and was at the time an inexperienced car buyer.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) A Civic SI is a Civic and not a BMW 328. Civics are economy cars. They are boring to drive. They are slow. They have very cheap interior materials. The new generation is quite ugly. 2) Civic SI comes with 3 yr/36K warranty. 3) Honda does not cover any scheduled maintenance. How is anything you've said worth listening to? I would rather pay $400/mo. than $300/mo. for a significantly inferior car. You only live once. DIAF.
He's a student, a 100,000 mile extended warranty is an extra thousand, and you have no redeeming qualities whatsoever as a human being.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
He's a student, a 100,000 mile extended warranty is an extra thousand, and you have no redeeming qualities whatsoever as a human being.
He said he had 15K to burn and was looking for a luxury car. What does him being a student have anything to do with it? He didn't ask for financial planning or life advice, did he? In many parts of the U.S. kids drive new M3s to high school. I hardly think a base 3 series is anything special for a student. Why should someone be forced to settle for a Civic if he doesn't have to? This is StyleForum, after all, not exactly known for its emphasis on the common utilitarian. You are the second mongoloid idiot to post in this thread.

Cavalier

Reaction score
He said he had 15K to burn and was looking for a luxury car. What does him being a student have anything to do with it? He didn't ask for financial planning or life advice, did he? In many parts of the U.S. kids drive new M3s to high school. I hardly think a base 3 series is anything special for a student. Why should someone be forced to settle for a Civic if he doesn't have to? This is StyleForum, after all, not exactly known for its emphasis on the common utilitarian. You are the second mongoloid idiot to post in this thread.
I missed where he said he has $15,000 to burn. And no where in the US does the average student drive an M3 to school.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed where he said he has $15,000 to burn. And no where in the US does the average student drive an M3 to school.

He said he was willing to shell out $15,000.

Cavalier

Reaction score
He said he was willing to shell out $15,000.
That doesn't mean he's willing to blow it on a lease and have nothing in 2 years
lol8[1].gif
At least with a Civic that you pay $15K for, you can easily still get $6-8K for it after 3-4 years
Why should someone be forced to settle for a Civic if he doesn't have to? This is StyleForum, after all, not exactly known for its emphasis on the common utilitarian.
No one has to be fiscally responsible, let's damage our future to enjoy ourselves today! IMO this forum does have an emphasis on utilitarian quality, look at brands like Filson, etc. we buy shoes and boots that last a life time, jeans that also last for damn near ever

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean he's willing to blow it on a lease and have nothing in 2 years
lol8[1].gif

At least with a Civic that you pay $15K for, you can still get $6-8K for it after 3-4 years

After you account for depreciation, finance charges, and maintenance? 15K is the TCO? Is that your final answer?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: I checked out a 06 Civic Si listed locally. It had about 70k miles on it for 13k. Seems a bit rice-rockety- and expensive for a civic.
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
3 series is a waste of money anyway, There are so many better options at that price point. I can't stand how many posers my age(I'm 17) parents bought them c300s and low end beamers just so they could have the badge and not have any clue about what they purchased.
Thank you for your input. May I ask where you got the idea that a 3 is a waste of money? It's safe to say you've never been behind the wheel of one, inside one or in the market for one.
Yes, when being ranked in CR, etc. it'll be considered entry-level luxury, but overall I think it's safe to consider any BMW, MBs, Jags, Audis luxury vehicles for reliability/maintenance discussion. Truthfully, I would have to agree about keeping them out of warranty. My 3 series was purchased cash, so I figure I will drive it till it dies. In the future, I will never purchase a new car. It will either be used, with an intention to only drive for 6 months - 2 years before reselling, or leased.
My $15,000 budget was largely considering maintenance costs. As I've said earlier my father loved Jags and mom drove nothing but MBs, I know firsthand how expensive they are to maintain. Also factored in was the amount of 3's, 2002-04/<75k miles I saw listed around $15k.
Kids where I come from rolled up in new 3s, Boxsters, 'Vettes, G35s, etc to school everyday, I drove an Accord. Now these kids are driving to Community College in them. Yes I am part of the upper-middle class/spoiled/trust-fund baby/over privileged/over indulgent/lazy/pathetically high sense of entitlement - scum whose Italian brethren brought you Staten Island/New Jersey.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Kids where I come from rolled up in new 3s, Boxsters, 'Vettes, G35s, etc to school everyday, I drove an Accord. Now these kids are driving to Community College in them. Yes I am part of the upper-middle class/spoiled/trust-fund baby/over privileged/over indulgent/lazy/pathetically high sense of entitlement - scum whose Italian brethren brought you Staten Island/New Jersey.
I call bullshit that where you went the average kid had a $40,000+ car. Just because there were 40-50 expensive cars in the parking lot doesn't mean every one has one ****, I went to school with a kid who had a Bentley Arnage, it doesn't mean every kid had one.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call bullshit that where you went the average kid had a $40,000+ car. Just because there were 40-50 expensive cars in the parking lot doesn't mean every one has one
Some kids get made fun of for driving a lowly 3-series. My friend's dad in high school bought him a brand new Honda Accord Coupe and the most popular insult to him was then "You drive a Honda.." Really depends on where you live.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads