• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's like that one incredible review by this old moron from Pioria or some other backwater about his trip to Spiaggia with his wife.

He wrote an ass ripping editorial about how it isn't an italian restaurant because almost every item was fish.

I'm not joking, it's probably still there.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes the reviews written by the clueless can be just as helpful as those written by someone knowledgeable. it's just a matter of reading into them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Kyle you read my ******* mind I just want to stab some of these self-appointed authorities on cuisine who are witless imbeciles with access to a computer and the internet. I don't know how many conversations I've had with friends about some of the reviews I've read.

The best sushi spot in LA I go to somebody dumbed down the rating because "there was no scene" referring to hollywood or didn't have the "ambience of kat-suya". What a ******* idiot or how about dumb bitches who go out with their girlfriends who tried the "rainbow Laker roll YUM!"

Goddam I'm angry right now just thinking about it.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
sometimes the reviews written by the clueless can be just as helpful as those written by someone knowledgeable. it's just a matter of reading into them.

I can't stop staring the...umm...eyes of the girl in your avatar.
colgate.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Kyle you read my ******* mind I just want to stab some of these self-appointed authorities on cuisine who are witless imbeciles with access to a computer and the internet. I don't know how many conversations I've had with friends about some of the reviews I've read.

The best sushi spot in LA I go to somebody dumbed down the rating because "there was no scene" referring to hollywood or didn't have the "ambience of kat-suya". What a ******* idiot or how about dumb bitches who go out with their girlfriends who tried the "rainbow Laker roll YUM!"

Goddam I'm angry right now just thinking about it.

plain.gif

Any decent place in the Castro which tries to produce good food and charge for it are eviscerated by the queenies who live here but can't shake the influence that the podunk midwestern towns from which they came left on them. These reviewers somehow think that if a restaurant is not as cheap as the stand-up pizza joints, which you go to when you are drunk at 2:00 in the morning, then it is waaayyy overpriced.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Yeah, people are different and get angry or stupid about things that they see as important. OMG $8 small plate??? NO WAY!!!! You never see those prices at McDs, who do those pricks think they are?????
Welcome to Chicago. Portion size seems to be incredibly important there. Edit - although it's not just Chicago. There's a new sandwich place by my office with very good Cambodian (influenced) sandwiches, and the yelpers are bitching about them being too small.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Most people don't know what's good. Restaurant reviews are one of these things for which I trust proper critics far more than signs of popularity (e.g. Zagat scores, difficulty to get a table, yelp reviews, etc...).

I've paid (not much, it's cheap) for an online Zagat membership for the past few years, and I'm really reconsidering. People are idiots, plain and simple.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I've paid (not much, it's cheap) for an online Zagat membership for the past few years, and I'm really reconsidering. People are idiots, plain and simple.

I only use my Zagat guides (we get those for free) as a list of restaurants in an area (i.e. to remind me of various options) but I try not too look at the grades or stupid quotes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Cavalier

Reaction score
I use yelp to get an idea if a certain place I plan on going to has specials or great menu items. I pay no attention to most of the other aspects of the reviews

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Welcome to Chicago. Portion size seems to be incredibly important there.

Edit - although it's not just Chicago. There's a new sandwich place by my office with very good Cambodian (influenced) sandwiches, and the yelpers are bitching about them being too small.

Maybe that's why Cambodia doesn't have a ******* obesity problem.

I can eat a lot of food, but I've almost never gone to a restaurant and left hungry. If the portions are small it's because you're supposed to get multiple courses. I mean ******* get over it or just go to Grand Lux cafe. For some reason I feel like tracking down some of those yelpers who give stupid reviews based on inane preconceptions of food and want of dinosaur sized portions and ******* force feed them **** with canned hollandaise sauce.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Maybe that's why Cambodia doesn't have a ******* obesity problem.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, the five spice glazed pork belly sandwich with pickled rhubarb was just fine (and delicious). If you're still hungry, eat a damn apple.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had good a success rate (~ 70%) at restaurants that were based on yelp reviews. Also, I have had good success rate trying dishes that were highly recommended by many reviewers.

Although I agree that there are a lot of morons on it that pretend to be real food critics, that is pretty much the case with any review site. The trick is to try and gauge a really good review from total tripe, and as always, take everything with a grain of salt.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Let's vote on that.

The liberalization of knowledge creates network effects (I'm ashamed I just used the words "network effects"). In other words spreading it helps it's development.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads