• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

asian hair

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is to grow it out, experiment with gels and pomade (which ever ones you like) and use any methods or technique to style it. Experiment. Test. Retest. See what works, see what doesn't. Just be adventurous. Asian hair is really difficult to work with, but if you get it right then you really can hit the spot.

In *my* opinion asian hair looks better a little longer because then you can play around with it more and alter the silahoutte of your face/head.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
experiment with gels and pomade (which ever ones you like) and use any methods or technique to style it. Experiment. Test. Retest. See what works, see what doesn't. Just be adventurous. Asian hair is really difficult to work with, but if you get it right then you really can hit the spot.

+1.

Asian hair is tough and you'll need a strong pomade to really control it. Matrix for Men Pliable Molding Putty works very well.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just hate the normal look of Asian hair. Man, when I step out of the shower and dry my hair, it's just a poofball. White people don't understand =/

The benefit though is that there is a lot of potential, which may be really hard to achieve.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I just hate the normal look of Asian $%^&. Man, when I step out of the shower and dry my #$^&, it's just a poofball. White people don't understand =/

The benefit though is that there is a lot of potential, which may be really hard to achieve.

fixed

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by repressedm
Jojoba oil might help?

I imagine so. I don't have asian hair, but it does make mine limp. I put it in my hair sometimes before I go to bed and just rinse in the morning.

p.trick

Reaction score
Haha I go MIA for a year and I find this thread just where I left it.

I've been playing around with the same hair style and various products for about 12 months now. Since Asian hair is naturally fine and straight, I felt that using pomade was overkill (if slight) for achieving lift or control. Apply too much and you'll get a heavy greasy mop on your head. I enjoyed the pliability offered by pomade as people often want to touch my hair, but it doesn't set completely and the greasiness effectively repulses any perpetrators. (For reference, I used American Crew and Paul Mitchell pomades.) I recently switched to TIGI Bed Head Manipulator paste and found that it offers the same shine and softness without the greasiness. It also doesn't melt in heat like pomade does. Top it off with a finishing spray and you're golden for the whole day. I played tennis for two and half hours in 95-degree weather and my hair was more or less the same at the end of the day as it was when I first styled it in the morning.

n1544190109_30171123_7259.jpg

To increase control without sacrificing length and keeping product usage to a minimum, have your hair texturized with thinning shears the next time you're at a salon. It reduces the weight of your hair and increases separation, making spikey styles almost effortless to put up. I used to spend up to 15 minutes trying to work and position my hair exactly the way I wanted it, but now I'm in and out in under 3.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
ok, washing you hair once a week totally grossed me out.

i agree mine is a lot easier to style when its a day old and i've slept on it, **** i've gone about 3 days, but there's no way i could go that a week without it smelling stanky and like 'dirty hair' - i know you say it doesn't smell, but how can one really smell their own hair unless its long? yuuuugh i dont even want to imagine how greasy it would be to run your fingers through it.

i don't go to any special asian salons. our hair isn't any different, i'm sure there are caucasian guys with the same texture. you just have to go to someone who knows a lot of different techniques and really knows what there doing.

i know that if i want a good cut i have to spend at least 25. i used to do the cheapo 10 dollar supercuts etc, but ever since i've switched i much more pleased.

jster

Reaction score
You don't want your hair like white/hispanic peoples hair man that's just not cool. Asian hair is amazing! dude you just gotta know what to ask your stylist to do.

Just tell your stylist (not barber) to crazily thin and layer your hair and with lots and lots of texture. Best if you could get an Asian stylist but any stylist with skill can do it.

As for the stuff to put in your hair you need wax and not putty or gel or some ****. I recommend that you get Gatsby wax which is the best and is recommend by all Asians so buy it on Ebay or in an Asian hair salon. The wax comes in different colours for different types of hairstyles.

The wax is for styling your hair which means you will also need hairspray for after your styling to hold the style in place. The best time to style your your is after your hair has been washed, toweled and blow dried.

Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pssd1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJIF...eature=related

Type in "asian hairstyles tutorial" on youtube to get more ideas

gungadin25

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahhhchu90
I'm an asian male and I don't like my hair. It's really really straight and hard t omanage. It poofs out when it short so I have to leave it long but it looks messy. Is there a way to get it like hispanic and white peoples hair. Like how its so smooth, texturized, and flat even when its short.

kinda like this guy: http://i8.tinypic.com/52mlb34.jpg

and please none of the "be proud of who you are" and "grass isn't always greener" crap

Try this product:

http://www.alexchiu.com/eternallife/gorgeouspil.htm

lol8[1].gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be proud of who you are because grass isn't always greener.

Ruppan

Reaction score
First post.

I'm Taiwanese and I would have classified my hair as slightly softer than typical Asian male hair. When I would wake up, my hair would be standing straight up. If I didn't use any product in my hair, it would fail to retain any semblance of shape after drying. I also had to get my hair cut every 3-4 weeks otherwise the sides would look messy.

This past year, the texture of my hair has changed dramatically. Part of it is due to growing out my hair. I'm aiming for a typical medium length caucasian parted hair-style, like something you see in those barber shop pictures. But most of it has been the change in my hair regiment. Here are a few things that have made a dramatic difference in my hair:

1. Wash 1x per week. Shampoo strips your hair of its natural oil, sebum, which is actually good for your hair. After the first few days you will notice the effects of this immediately. I feel like a sucker thinking about how advertising brainwashed me into using shampoo everday and even sometimes twice a day. It's also much better for the environment to cut down on soaps.

I mentioned this to a friend and he had the same reaction as many of you. Doesn't your hair stink? Then I asked him how often his wife washes her hair. He responded by saying 1x per week. I then asked him, "does your wife's hair stink?" He shut up right away. I then went on the berate him about being brainwashed by advertising.

Basically, all you need to do to keep your hair smelling good is a rinse and condition everyday.

2. Rinse your hair with cold water. Cold water seals the moisture from the shower into your hair by closing the cuticles. I usually rinse my hair with warm/hot water, apply conditioner, go about my shower, and rinse with ice cold water when I'm getting out of the shower.

3. Olive oil. I started doing this after reading an article about the effects of olive oil on the skin. Basically, extra virgin olive oil contains high concentrations Retinol and other antioxidants, which is not produced by the body but helps the skin retain moisture. I would apply a small amount to my skin after showering, and the effects were pretty immediate. My skin became much softer without getting greasy because the oil gets completely absorbed by the skin. Sooner or later, I just tried it on my hair and had exactly the same results.

4. Consistent combing. If you comb your hair the same way everyday, it will sooner or later begin to take that shape naturally. Waking up, out of the shower, whenever....my hair can more or less fall back into place with a simple brush of my hands.

Some of you may think 1 and 3 above are revolting, but I hardly ever have to use gel or hairspray. The idea and look of hard sticky hair is far, far worse.

breakdown

Reaction score
I'm Asian and I hate the way Asian hair looks. I'm not speaking genetically, i mean the way Asian men typically decide to style, or not style, their hair. Lots of crew cuts, shaved sides, bowl cuts that were left back in the nineties for everyone else.

For me, I find more success when I let my hair get longer. If it's a hairstyle I admire on a white or latin person, I find I need my hair to be a half inch longer than theirs on the sides. Like you said, if it's too short it'll stick straight out. So you need just enough length on the sides to give it some weight. But if you don't thin it out or layer it, it'll get too poofy and big. On the flip side, I find the overly thinned hairstyles on some Asian men to look really effeminate and fluffy, like a the feathers on Gonzo's head.

Also, the key is to experiment. Different cuts/products/and process of using those products. I get a completely different hairstyle if I let my hair dry first vs. putting product on wet hair, then letting it dry and breaking it up. The latter offers more control, i can get flatter sides and higher body. Putting it on dry hair offers a more natural look, but then if it tends to look bad by the end of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads