• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Sam Hober silk squares

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
One can be unconcerned, yet admire things that are done as well as possible even when greater expediency is a financially attractive alternative.

I can't get sentimental over handstitched buttonholes on shirts, either. Shocking, I know.

Grinch+heart.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Oh, you mean fake hand stitching, I am OK with that. I don't like the obvious machine chain stitch.

Where do you stand on these?

pocket_squares.jpg

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm much more interested in getting a square properly sized. I have some squares that are a good size, but I really dislike an undersized square. I don't know what a good square size is off the top of my head, but maybe I'll go home and measure some of mine so then I'll know. The one Hober square I have is an amazing square, but the next ones I order I'm going to order slightly larger.

I think the handrolled/machinerolled debate is similar to the mechanical/quartz watch debate. Strikes me as an appreciation for the craftsmanship more than an issue of functionality.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I can't get sentimental over handstitched buttonholes on shirts, either. Shocking, I know.

That shows bitterness arising from the aging process. You should refamiliarize yourself with Bluto's Meaningless Gesture speech.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There nice, I really like the navy paisley. The others are a bit loud for my taste.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I think the handrolled/machinerolled debate is similar to the mechanical/quartz watch debate. Strikes me as an appreciation for the craftsmanship more than an issue of functionality.

The functionality of pocket squares is pretty serious business. I can readily see why people would want to Occam out as many superfluous things about them as possible, and focus entirely on function.

This is why there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of losing pocket squares altogether, or if not, pulling out the lining of your breast pocket and then being done with it.

- B

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That shows bitterness arising from the aging process. You should refamiliarize yourself with Bluto's Meaningless Gesture speech.

Is this how you dealt with it back when you were my age?

The functionality of pocket squares is pretty serious business. I can readily see why people would want to Occam out as many superfluous things about them as possible, and focus entirely on function.

This is why there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of losing pocket squares altogether, or if not, pulling out the lining of your breast pocket and then being done with it.

My breast-pocketless coat has scandalized the forum.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
12 inches is an ideal size for me. Bigger than that and it does not really fit, smaller and it keeps falling in.
uhoh.gif
lookaround.gif

You hand out some of the worst, most unusable straight lines ever.

Where's Moo?

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

- B

I'm laughing because this topic actually came up today in my (final) fitting with MBC/DSF-MT.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Is this how you dealt with it back when you were my age?

My breast-pocketless coat has scandalized the forum.

I feel that regular re-acclimatization with Animal House is a key that unlocks many perplexing problems.

As for your coat: I posted one without a breast pocket about a year and a half ago.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . . David also has quite a selection of Riva shirtings that you can get as squares...I plan on getting some myself given what I have seen with the squares that I recieved today. - B
I have had several made as neck scarves. The workmanship is better than outstanding. I can't get over the lack of border on printed squares, though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'm laughing because this topic actually came up today in my (final) fitting with MBC/DSF-MT.

Who brought it up, him or you?

Oh: look forward to seeing it.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who brought it up, him or you?

Oh: look forward to seeing it.

- B

Well, actually it was another customer who was asking how to fold a pocket square. I don't exactly remember the course of the conversation that took us from that to pulling the lining out of your pocket, but I think that was my suggestion.

As an aside I will say that some here will probably object to the lining I have in my new suit (I
inlove.gif
), but virtually none would object if it were made into a pocket square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads