• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fedor only has one fight left on his contract with Affliction and thats going to happen in August. He would be a fool to turn down a deal with the UFC. He knows he's the best, he knows his worth, and he knows the only league who can really pay him what he is worth is the UFC.

I want this fight to happen because I want to see Lesnar unconcious, but who the hell knows what will happen in the next few months. He might even lose before Fedor gets to the UFC.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I loved Lesnar's post fight interview. Playing the heel well.

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Fedor only has one fight left on his contract with Affliction and thats going to happen in August. He would be a fool to turn down a deal with the UFC. He knows he's the best, he knows his worth, and he knows the only league who can really pay him what he is worth is the UFC.

I want this fight to happen because I want to see Lesnar unconcious, but who the hell knows what will happen in the next few months. He might even lose before Fedor gets to the UFC.

Speaking of Fedor, here's an interesting article. This would be the fight that everyone has been waiting for. Lets just hope the two will be be victorious with their next fights.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;...nkie&type=lgns

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by track309
Speaking of Fedor, here's an interesting article. This would be the fight that everyone has been waiting for. Lets just hope the two will be be victorious with their next fights.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;...nkie&type=lgns

I uh... just posted that.
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
The single greatest factor that has stopped Fedor from signing with the UFC has always been the restrictions with out-of-UFC fights. He's stated a few times that if he signs with UFC, he can't compete in Sambo tournaments, which he would rather do than MMA.

I'd love to see Fedor vs. Lesnar, and Dana White will only do that fight if he thinks Lesnar has a good chance at beating him - otherwise his organization is compromised if Fedor only signs on for a single fight and ditches out.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The single greatest factor that has stopped Fedor from signing with the UFC has always been the restrictions with out-of-UFC fights. He's stated a few times that if he signs with UFC, he can't compete in Sambo tournaments, which he would rather do than MMA.
I tend to side with the UFC on this one. Everyone jumps up and down and says 'restrictive restrictive' but if they go handing him some big ass contract (which he both demands and deserves), only to throw his hip out doing some hip throw in a Siberian Sambo tournament...then what? That aside, it presents a precedent that everyone else will lay claim to...and suddenly we learn that, I dunno, GSP was an amateur jousting champion, and now wants to be allowed to joust again, ends up impaled on a spear somewhere, unable to fight again...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I tend to side with the UFC on this one. Everyone jumps up and down and says 'restrictive restrictive' but if they go handing him some big ass contract (which he both demands and deserves), only to throw his hip out doing some hip throw in a Siberian Sambo tournament...then what? That aside, it presents a precedent that everyone else will lay claim to...and suddenly we learn that, I dunno, GSP was an amateur jousting champion, and now wants to be allowed to joust again, ends up impaled on a spear somewhere, unable to fight again...
Why don't they just not let any of them drive then? Most of the serious injuries people have gotten in UFC were in driving related accidents... someone like Frank Mir comes to mind. There are many others (Noguiera, but that wasn't really him driving). Perhaps they should individually negotiate contracts allowing certain people to compete elsewhere, but if they are injured in outside activities, they relinquish UFC benefits and UFC retains the right to void their contract at any time of their choosing.

r...

Reaction score
That works with also-rans and maybe lower rung fighters. Giving Cro-Cop a one off when he's in no danger of taking the title is one thing. I see it more as a means to obviate potentially having your champion in any weightclass sidelined due to an outside competition.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I tend to not be on White's side because he's a total dick. I agree with you that for them to protect their business and remain the most relevant MMA org, they need to be restrictive with their contracts. I wasn't getting hard on them about that, I'm just saying that's what Fedor cites as the reason for his hesitancy to sign with the UFC, and I can understand that if he considers himself a sambo wrestler first and an MMA fighter second, it's a reasonable position. Cro Cop has signed a 3-fight deal and is back in the UFC for the time being. Dana White blames the Japanese for prior difficulties:
According to the Yahoo! report, White blamed much of the confusion over Cro Cop's contract situation on the Croatian's manager, Ken Imai. "I've said this many times, and I'll say it again: there's some crooked (expletive) that goes on in Japan," said White over the UFC 100 weekend. "They're all crooked; there's some sneaky (expletive) going on over there. That's always a big problem. These guys that are in the fight business over there, for my Mexican friends, 'no bueno.'"

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Why don't they just not let any of them drive then?

Most of the serious injuries people have gotten in UFC were in driving related accidents... someone like Frank Mir comes to mind. There are many others (Noguiera, but that wasn't really him driving).

These accidents have been mostly driving related precisely because they don't let the athletes compete in other events.

Perhaps they should individually negotiate contracts allowing certain people to compete elsewhere, but if they are injured in outside activities, they relinquish UFC benefits and UFC retains the right to void their contract at any time of their choosing.
This makes sense except it would leave the UFC without that athlete and, possibly, any matchups they may have already made. It would have to be far more detailed on the times of restriction and it would have to have some sort of financial guarantee protecting the UFC, or they'd never go for it. (And insurance doesn't count, as their premiums would climb if they keep making claims.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
If I'm not mistaken, the crane kick failed against either Mike Barnes (Sean Kannan) or Terry Silver (Thomas Ian Griffith) in Karate Kid 3. (I can't remember which one)

Edit: after doing some research, apparently it was never really tried in three, but it was mocked. If he would have tried it, he would have failed because both of the aforementioned guys knew it.

Basically, Crane kick fails - 2, successes - 1.

Maybe it only works against white dudes from the valley.

That's cool. I'll save it for my fight against the Diaz brothers. They are white-ish.

For your friend, I'll bring out the drum punch, first to the body to soften him up, and then to the head when he drops his hands to protect his sides from the onslaught.

There are kryponite moves against fighters though. For example, Frank Trigg seems unable to defend the rear naked choke any time someone takes his back. And Chuck Liddell seems unable to raise his hands above his neck. Maybe he was tortured in Nam just like John McCain.

Lendo

Reaction score
As far as the Sambo thing factoring in to Fedor's contract, it just seems a bit odd that there are UFC fighters who do BJJ competitions who are still under contract. Joe Stevenson participated in the Grappler's Quest matches the day of UFC 100.
White claimed that one of the reasons that the Fedor deal fell through in the first place was b/c of his management and their involvement w/ M-1 Global.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
These accidents have been mostly driving related precisely because they don't let the athletes compete in other events.

This makes sense except it would leave the UFC without that athlete and, possibly, any matchups they may have already made. It would have to be far more detailed on the times of restriction and it would have to have some sort of financial guarantee protecting the UFC, or they'd never go for it. (And insurance doesn't count, as their premiums would climb if they keep making claims.)

How have they been related?

And obviously restrictions and clauses would have to be detailed. I wasn't saying that it should read one sentence long in the contract. But, they'd basically need to give themselves the right to release themselves of all liability and the right to void any contract if someone has been injured.

Injury within the ring actually doesn't happen as much as you think. Unless you're talking about Silvia's arm or something like that, most stuff isn't actually that severe. It's a fairly safe sport for the most part, isn't it? I also think the exception should only be made for people like Fedor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics