• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taxi vs. driving drunk

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
City life yes. . . suburban life does not. When I lived in the suburbs, it was impossible to go out without a DD. Taxis were way too expensive to go that far, sometimes even refusing because there was no way they'd pick up a fare on the way back into the city.
I'm rural, so there aren't cabs, period. But it must be nice to not worry that you might need to worry. ~ H

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know a guy who got hit by a drunk driver at about 11 a.m. Cops had picked up the drunk driver the night before for driving drunk, held him in the drunk tank, then released him, only for the guy to go out first thing in the morning and get loaded.

If you drive drunk, you're risking someone else's life because you're too cheap, selfish or stupid to pay for a cab. That's hugely douchey.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I'm rural, so there aren't cabs, period. But it must be nice to not worry that you might need to worry.

~ H

Rural worries me still. The accidents are far more deadly usually due to the speeds involved on rural roads. The upside is that there are just so many fewer people on the roads that often the accidents are single vehicle (and hopefully single victim).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. We have a lot of car-on-tree accidents around here. They, sadly, are often fatal, as trees don't really flex much. Better than taking someone else with you but still pretty tragic.

~ H

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the suburbs and taxi's arent exactly easy to get but all the bars are willing to call you a cab if you need one. Countless nights I have slept in a car with my friend after getting obliterated, or just taken a cab home and picked up my car in the morning.

Originally Posted by Ahab
DUI's are big money and help justify budgets. The numbers almost have to go up as to justify budgets and make money.

I think that either sobriety checkpoints are expensive to run or that they are not getting enough DUI's around where I live. They recently did some massive crackdown on seat belts. It had to be a huge moneymaker. I was not caught so have no idea how much the tickets were but they had officers at many intersections and toll booths. I think some were still in the academy.

Don't drink and drive no matter how you feel about it. The penalties are going up and the odds are against you.

******* cops are way too eager to give DUIs nowadays. When I was younger it seemed like every time I was pulled over I was given sobriety tests. It's a nerveracking situation to be begin with, and I'm always scared that I might slip up when I'm giving the alphabet backwards with my finger to my nose while walking heel-to-toe and get charged.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
When you worked at the bar, you actually saw everyone leave your bar in a taxi? After you had a few drinks on the job, you actually hired a cab too? I doubt it.
So it was the idiot thing then.

I have never driven anywhere with more than 2 drinks in me. Ever. Moreover, if anyone had more than 5 at the bar, we made damn sure they either had a DD or got in a cab. If they didn't, we called the police and gave them the license plate. So doubt all you want, but you're not effectively explaining away your risking other peoples' lives because "everyone does it". If it ever comes back to bite you, I hope it's a telephone pole you hit and not some 17 year old kid or a single mom coming home from the night shift or something.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
So it was the idiot thing then.

I have never driven anywhere with more than 2 drinks in me. Ever. Moreover, if anyone had more than 5 at the bar, we made damn sure they either had a DD or got in a cab. If they didn't, we called the police and gave them the license plate. So doubt all you want, but you're not effectively explaining away your risking other peoples' lives because "everyone does it". If it ever comes back to bite you, I hope it's a telephone pole you hit and not some 17 year old kid or a single mom coming home from the night shift or something.

Oh, so for you 2 drinks is OK to DD, but for everyone else it becomes an idiot thing.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think most people hate leaving their cars overnight and have to get up the next day to get another cab to go back and get their car.

Check this **** out they do in the city near me:

http://www.scooterpatrol.org/test.asp

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just dont drink out? If I drink, the last thing I want is a conversation, or the company of others.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Oh, so for you 2 drinks is OK to DD, but for everyone else it becomes an idiot thing.
I'm 6'2 220 and I worked, until recently, in a bar. 2 drinks is well under the legal limit for me. What we're talking about is people who are drunk and insist on driving, not people who have had a drink. There is an obvious distinction.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
Is this a serious question?
Originally Posted by Hazad
I was praying it was a troll.
Perhaps I should have made a title that was less sounding like I think this is a real choice, but it was 2:20 in the night and I just came home from the bar
thumbs-up.gif
Actually it should be easy to decide that only a moron would take his car after a night in the city, but if we are really honest, everyone at least knows someone who did it. Usually I'm the designated driver as I live the farthest from the city and that means that I have only 1 or 2 drinks, directly in the beginning of the evening and then it's only water or juice for the rest of the night. But I know people who drink a little bit too much (I'm not talking of getting shitfaced but a little tipsy) and have problems to clearly decide that they shouldn't drive anymore then. The taxi driver told me about 4 young people getting killed in a car accident, driving drunk from one club to another while the taxi would only have been 7 EUR, that's what triggered me to make this thread. It would be "fine" if only the drunk drivers would die, but the problem is more that usually the innocent victims don't make it neither.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 220 and I worked, until recently, in a bar. 2 drinks is well under the legal limit for me. What we're talking about is people who are drunk and insist on driving, not people who have had a drink. There is an obvious distinction.
I don't think the question is whether it is legal but if driving impaired is the "right" thing to do. It either is or is not. 2 drinks is not very specific. 2 24 oz. beers is more than 2 12 ounce beers.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, timely topic. I just went to a funeral recently of a friend's sister. She was in the back seat, drunk with her drunkass friends. The driver, of course, survived with less than a scratch. His fiance (passenger seat) had to be put into a medically induced coma and she has none of her god damned teeth left. Her face is totally fucked. The dead sister was hanging out of the window, dead on arrival and unrecognizable. The driver is going to prison for involuntary manslaughter. Now his kid gets to grow up with a grotesque mother and no father, yay!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Hah, timely topic. I just went to a funeral recently of a friend's sister. She was in the back seat, drunk with her drunkass friends. The driver, of course, survived with less than a scratch. His fiance (passenger seat) had to be put into a medically induced coma and she has none of her god damned teeth left. Her face is totally fucked. The dead sister was hanging out of the window, dead on arrival and unrecognizable. The driver is going to prison for involuntary manslaughter. Now his kid gets to grow up with a grotesque mother and no father, yay!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is? For someone who seems really fired up about DD and quick to criticize others, you seem very lenient on yourself. Most people who DD think they only had "a drink" or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads