• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

JPG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not sure how this could be any less sartorially remarkable:

62209Green_2Web1.jpg

Toby Maguire?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
It would not be my choice of shirt for that suit either, but I do like the fact that it is an unusual combination. I get your point that he is trying too hard as well...there is an element of this being an affected look. I am still a Padawan when it comes to many things sartorial, but in many ways my innocence works to my advantage as I just like what I like, even if it is wrong to like it.
blush.gif
Mike

It isnt wrong to like. But it's wrong to ask people to like it. A number of men wear the plainest vanilla things for a reason, they are frightened of getting it wrong or being criticized. This is when you know someone has not got a handle on clothes but merely apes what exists. However, there is also the men who think that either throwing caution to the winds or doing the thrift shop shuffle is the way to be a trail blazer. This man's outfit is offensive to me because he is degrading a classic look. He might as well have a pony tail. It tells me he is struggling to be different and produce some sort of counter culture shock effect but at the same time he is too frightened (or ignorant) to break away from traditional attire. Maybe he is just aping a RL manikin that might pair a rugby shirt with a sports coat. But that's what the look says to me, hodge podge.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I don't see much to like about any of it: the shirt, the tie, the knot, the roll, the stance, the sleeve length, or the shoes. For the style of suit and fabric it is too close-fitting. It has a '70s vibe (imagine it with a wide-collared silk shirt and see what I mean). I do, however, like the color and pattern combinations, and the pockets. By traditional sartorial standards (as I understand them) this is close to an unmitigated disaster. As a fashion choice, it's very much in keeping with the contemporary approach of "tweaking" conservative style. It immediately calls to mind Thom Browne, for example, even if the details differ from his signatures. In fact, it irks me in similar ways to TB...that is, it feels like a joke more than a serious attempt at creating a beautiful and harmonious style. However, in society at large, very few people would notice or appreciate the details of this outfit. Assuming he works and lives in an environment where people would notice, I imagine he gets a lot of compliments on his originality, and on his aesthetic.
I think most people would pick up that he is trying to mate uptown with downtown for an effect. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a column for an unsuccessful fashion magazine or that he carried a purse.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

62209Green_2Web1.jpg

I've got to disagree, it is certainly not groundbreaking, but it is nice to see someone pull that much green together without looking like a St. Patties day reject. It's all nicely chosen clothing, with the ability to put a polo under a jacket in an inoffensive manner. The glasses are perfect for his face as well. Its definitely better dressed than the average man, and there are many pitfalls to this outfit that he managed to avoid. I'm by no means saying its perfect, but enjoyable.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It isnt wrong to like. But it's wrong to ask people to like it.

A number of men wear the plainest vanilla things for a reason, they are frightened of getting it wrong or being criticized. This is when you know someone has not got a handle on clothes but merely apes what exists.

However, there is also the men who think that either throwing caution to the winds or doing the thrift shop shuffle is the way to be a trail blazer. This man's outfit is offensive to me because he is degrading a classic look. He might as well have a pony tail.

It tells me he is struggling to be different and produce some sort of counter culture shock effect but at the same time he is too frightened (or ignorant) to break away from traditional attire. Maybe he is just aping a RL manikin that might pair a rugby shirt with a sports coat. But that's what the look says to me, hodge podge.

Not sure if you mean that I am asking people to like it, the Sart is, or the guy wearing the suit is? I like elements of it, but I am not personally asking anyone else to like it. I was merely wondering what everyone's opinion of it was. I think you have alot of valid points though, and I respect them. For the record, I would wear this suit...but with a different shirt, tie and shoes...but you know I am a Ralph Lauren nut and I think this is RLPL stuff.
smile.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

62209Green_2Web1.jpg

Dude, are you kidding me?! It's the OneColor Wardrobe.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Dude, are you kidding me?! It's the OneColor Wardrobe.

I've been meaning to propose to foo the One Meal menu. If you have the perfect meal, why ever eat anything else? For instance, every night Howard Hughes used to have the same thing: steak with peas, followed by ice cream for dessert. Kleenex boxes and jars of urine optional.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you mean that I am asking people to like it, the Sart is, or the guy wearing the suit is? I like elements of it, but I am not personally asking anyone else to like it. I was merely wondering what everyone's opinion of it was. I think you have alot of valid points though, and I respect them. For the record, I would wear this suit...but with a different shirt, tie and shoes...but you know I am a Ralph Lauren nut and I think this is RLPL stuff.
smile.gif

I meant when anyone puts something on that isn't considered normal, they run the risk of being criticized. This isn't necessarily bad but it helps to know what you're doing when you do wear something different and it helps further if you don't define being different as merely mocking the traditional suit look. I like a lot of Ralph's stuff and he does a good job for creative looks but that's no reason to emulate them. There's this thread going around called soporific ties which not only showcases the dullest ties you can find sold at stores like Sears, it champions them as if there resides both heroism and style in mediocrity. It's as if it were a support group for clerks who periodically scratch their heads over a piece of paper on their desks to see how much hair and dandruff falls out.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I meant when anyone puts something on that isn't considered normal, they run the risk of being criticized. This isn't necessarily bad but it helps to know what you're doing when you do wear something different and it helps further if you don't define being different as merely mocking the traditional suit look.

I like a lot of Ralph's stuff and he does a good job for creative looks but that's no reason to emulate them.

There's this thread going around called soporific ties which not only showcases the dullest ties you, it champions them as if there resides both heroism and style in mediocrity.

It's as if it were a support group for clerks who periodically scratch their heads over a piece of paper on their desks to see how much hair and dandruff falls out.

c91.jpg

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
I'll give those two links a read, but all the mainstream fashion magazines I've ever read never critique fashion. They simply report what is fashionable and use florid language to describe and promote it. You never hear: "[Insert big name designer] really messed up this season . . ." Maybe fashion can't be meaningfully analyzed to begin with, but that opens up a whole other can of worms and brings us back to the beginning problem: 'fashion' is largely what various authorities indicate it to be.

Fashionistaexistentialism

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about this one?
Plaidsuit.jpg

"You can look at the menu, but you just can't eat
You can feel the cushions, but you can't have a seat

And you want her and she [doesn't] want you
We want everyone . . .

And you want her and she [doesn't] wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame

You can see the summit, but you can't reach it . . .

And you want her and she [doesn't] want you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
No one ever is to blame
No one ever is to blame . . . "

Did someone write something about speedos and growing up in the eighties?
bigstar[1].gif

- M

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I've got to disagree, it is certainly not groundbreaking, but it is nice to see someone pull that much green together without looking like a St. Patties day reject. It's all nicely chosen clothing, with the ability to put a polo under a jacket in an inoffensive manner. The glasses are perfect for his face as well. Its definitely better dressed than the average man, and there are many pitfalls to this outfit that he managed to avoid. I'm by no means saying its perfect, but enjoyable.

I agree. It's a good look, and the suit is a decent fit. It's mostly interesting because of the color choice.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare and contrast (as we used to say in lit. class):

Plaidsuit.jpg

Attachment 25552

Second pic is a mug shot of me taken last week for an office directory. Not photographed are the trousers (full cut, pleated, cuffed, suspended), shoes (dark brown suede monks), and socks (cream lisle). I'm sure the other gent would like the fit of mine about as much as I do his. What I find amusing is that, with slight nods to the recent past/present day, he's dressed from the nineteen teens-twenties and I'm from the 1930's. What I find encouraging is that, though much younger than (but just as bald) as I, he's wearing a suit and accessories as though he enjoys them.

ccffm1

Reaction score
What about this one? I think I may have seen some comments on this here before. I am sure there is alot to nitpick here...the tightness of the pants, the chambray tab collar shirt, the huge knot, the loafers..etc. However, aside from the knot size, I like this. I like this suit alot, actually.
Plaidsuit.jpg

While I appreciate the idea behind this one, his coat sleeves seem to be devouring his hands. The lady´s skirt doesn´t do her any favors.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
"You can look at the menu, but you just can't eat
You can feel the cushions, but you can't have a seat...

Did someone write something about speedos and growing up in the eighties?
bigstar[1].gif

- M

I'm pretty sure I still have that Howard Jones album (on vinyl, natch) lying around somewhere
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics