• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You need to order yourself a dozen and shake the dust off.
I love dusty looking ties. I search them out from several makers including Drakes.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...respectability

The only reason to wear a tie like this around your neck is if you are hanging yourself with it, of course put a tie like this around your neck and you'll want to hang yourself.
crazy.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I am tempted to send you one as a gift.

One day your posts may tempt me to use it. While I should point out that I have no issue with you as a person, your taste is painful to my eyes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Saddam used those ties on teh Kurdz in the Eighties.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
One day your posts may tempt me to use it.
If I double my daily number of posts, will it speed up that day?
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
While I should point out that I have no issue with you as a person, your taste is painful to my eyes.
I have no issues with you either but I feel somewhat relieved that my tastes will keep you away like wolf's bane.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I double my daily number of posts, will it speed up that day? I have no issues with you either but I feel somewhat relieved that my tastes will keep you away like wolf's bane.
Serious question, FNB. Would you wear one of those ties out of the house?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Serious question, FNB. Would you wear one of those ties out of the house?
I already have. Is this a trick question? Have you gotten one of these ties and tried it out? I only ask because I own plenty of dusty ties so I know where you are coming from and I'm trying to help you out.
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think Saddam used those ties on teh Kurdz in the Eighties.

There is never a wrong time, nor wrong place, to post a photograph of Recep Cesur.

recep312.jpg

I wonder what the consquences would have been if this Kurdish tailor had dissapointed his most famous client?

Would Saddamdoc have been created?

- B

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the OP's questions, with shrewd and careful shopping, you can probably look decent without spending more than $20 on a tie. However, bargains in ties abound so much that you will probably want to spend more. For example, at the moment, I am wearing one of my half-dozen Kiton neckties. My total cost, tax and all, if I remember correctly, was $27.88. The nominal retail is $235, which is preposterous. At less than $30, the tie is a damn good value.

I just gave some of my ties away to a co-worker. At the moment I think I have about 104 ties (not counting bowties or ascots). The plurality of my ties (about 30) are Canali. Other makers well represented in my tie wardrobe would be Brioni, Kiton and Charvet. At this point, I would be disinclined to spend more than about $50-$60 for a tie, no matter how appealing. Ties do so much to enhance one's wardrobe that it is foolish to set too low a spending limit.

I am fairly conservative, so I prefer to avoid extremes in necktie width and try to cultivate a timeless style rather than be swayed the trends of fashion. A width of 3 1/4 inches is about right for me.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties just like any other peice of clothing is like buying a car you get what you pay for, the question is weither you think your worth the worth the quality or not.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
Why pay millions for some painting?

I think it was one of the Gabor sisters who said in response to a question as to whether or not a Constable was an original ... "It is. I say, why buy a copy when for a few thousand more you can get the original." That, of course, was said in a era when everything was less expensive.

Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Why spend more than $20 on a tie?

Or ... why spend $20 when you can spend $200?

The ties on the FNB link are uninspiring to say the least. I didn't expect that.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Or ... why spend $20 when you can spend $200?
Ties are somewhat complex a subject. Certainly the desire to not pay a lot for a simple piece of silk is offset by the distaste that someone else is wearing the same tie. It may not be a big deal if it's someone who you believe resides above you on the pecking order but it's irking when someone below wears them. And, this is the risk you run when you shop at a place everyone can afford or you buy ties from a maker that churns them out in large numbers.
Originally Posted by RSS
The ties on the FNB link are uninspiring to say the least. I didn't expect that.
I am not interested in inspiring people over neckties, just letting people know what I think looks good with a shirt and a jacket. Again, sometimes the style resides in the exclusivity and not the intrinsic aesthetics. Although, in this case, I believe both needs are served. If I were both sane and practically selfish, I wouldn't have even mentioned the maker. But I am kind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics