• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this could be any less sartorially remarkable:

62209Green_2Web1.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I dont like that this is a mawkish version of a traditional look. He comes across as purposefully taking the "stiffness" out of traditional clothes by pairing the work shirt with the vest. A classic example of trying to hard. He gives the impression of working in the garment industry and having grown tired of it all or perhaps someone who delivered copiers and after he "made it" wanted to stay in touch with his roots.

I am surprised he isn't wearing light brown balmoral boots.

I read in one of the comments on Sat that this was RLPL and it was linen. I don't know, maybe that is clouding my judgment....I see all that is wrong, and I still am drawn to it. I also have that identical Chambray tab collar shirt.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Whatever the prevalance of groupthink on Styleforum, it remains true that classic tailored clothing has gone through a much slower and longer-term evolution than the fast-paced, seasonal change that characterizes designer fashion. The more conservative approach of the former is inherently less risky because it depends largely on accumulated experience, arguably the best guidance we have with respect to style. I'm all for rational rejections of old norms, but I haven't seen much in the way of that in this case. For change to be worthwhile, careful critique should precede, accompany, and follow it.

What risk? Looking stoops?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'll give those two links a read, but all the mainstream fashion magazines I've ever read never critique fashion. They simply report what is fashionable and use florid language to describe and promote it. You never hear: "[Insert big name designer] really messed up this season . . ." Maybe fashion can't be meaningfully analyzed to begin with, but that opens up a whole other can of worms and brings us back to the beginning problem: 'fashion' is largely what various authorities indicate it to be.

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-System...7161556&sr=8-1

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The blog isn't a style critique blog, it is frequented by the people posted in the pictures and he wants to keep a friendly and positive atmosphere, you can't blame him for having different aims than the ones you'd like him to have.

There is self promotion and then there's self(auto) fellatio. I think his blog ventures into the latter.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give those two links a read, but all the mainstream fashion magazines I've ever read never critique fashion. They simply report what is fashionable and use florid language to describe and promote it. You never hear: "[Insert big name designer] really messed up this season . . ."

You are correct; however, there is also the critique by omission. Magazines will promote the looks that they think are good. While they don't outwardly state that certain other looks are bad, they simply won't promote them. Maybe that's not what you are looking for, but I think there is an implicit understanding that a look or collection by a major designer or house that is not promoted by a magazine may not be so great.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
That's not criticism, that's just being a dick. I would not have allowed that comment either.

A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent - William Blake

The fact of the matter is that she did have on an 80's prom dress made of curtain fabric. If you are old enough to have lived through the 80's then you would know this look quite well. For example, look at my avatar, there's no way to critique that multicolored speedo without coming off sounding like a dick.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
There is self promotion and then there's self(auto) fellatio. I think his blog ventures into the latter.
His blog mainly consist of pictures, the comments are an afterthought. If you don't like the pictures there is no reason to even read the blog. You just don't know and understand the kind of product you're getting and are criticizing it for absurd reasons. For the record I hardly check it out because I'm not that interested in his angle. I like Tommy from Jak&Jil, he's obsessed with strong women, killer shoes and Vogue editors which is kinda cute and always fun: http://jakandjil.com/blog/

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Plaidsuit.jpg

Fit is a little off but not enough for me to dismiss it. The sleeves absolutely must be fixed though. I also think he should have worn oxfords. The chambray shirt was a great choice I just wish he chose a better tie.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
His blog mainly consist of pictures, the comments are an afterthought. If you don't like the pictures there is no reason to even read the blog. You just don't know and understand the kind of product you're getting and are criticizing it for absurd reasons. For the record I hardly check it out because I'm not that interested in his angle. I like Tommy from Jak&Jil, he's obsessed with strong women, killer shoes and Vogue editors which is kinda cute and always fun: http://jakandjil.com/blog/
I think jcc may have a point. The Sartorialist doesn't have time to do what a true photographer does, which is capture the essence of a scene, person etc.. With mens' clothes it's more about the attitude than the actual choices. Because he takes impromptu shots, he has to rely on noticeable physical differences in the clothes, whether it's scarves around the neck or a nuclear sun tan. I think it's all people will notice in photographs like this. And as he gets used to a certain level of subtlety, he has to crank it up until the images become bizarre. Many of his male subjects have a kitchen sink or thrift store layering approach to clothes. This is more of a female approach to fashion, the looking fabulous effect. It's one of the few times women are more visual than men because clothes for them are all about immediate impact.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I read in one of the comments on Sat that this was RLPL and it was linen. I don't know, maybe that is clouding my judgment....I see all that is wrong, and I still am drawn to it. I also have that identical Chambray tab collar shirt.
lol8[1].gif
Mike

I dont like that shirt at all and definitely not with that collar or with that suit. In the right context, the suit can be good. I think that Fashionable clothes have a language all their own. Sure, you can wear the occasional sweater or golf shirt under a work suit but I would much rather see some trying to be fashion forward getting a suit made up that fits that image.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont like that shirt at all and definitely not with that collar or with that suit. In the right context, the suit can be good. I think that Fashionable clothes have a language all their own. Sure, you can wear the occasional sweater or golf shirt under a work suit but I would much rather see some trying to be fashion forward getting a suit made up that fits that image.

It would not be my choice of shirt for that suit either, but I do like the fact that it is an unusual combination. I get your point that he is trying too hard as well...there is an element of this being an affected look. I am still a Padawan when it comes to many things sartorial, but in many ways my innocence works to my advantage as I just like what I like, even if it is wrong to like it.
blush.gif

Mike

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I don't see much to like about any of it: the shirt, the tie, the knot, the roll, the stance, the sleeve length, or the shoes. For the style of suit and fabric it is too close-fitting. It has a '70s vibe (imagine it with a wide-collared silk shirt and see what I mean). I do, however, like the color and pattern combinations, and the pockets.

By traditional sartorial standards (as I understand them) this is close to an unmitigated disaster. As a fashion choice, it's very much in keeping with the contemporary approach of "tweaking" conservative style. It immediately calls to mind Thom Browne, for example, even if the details differ from his signatures. In fact, it irks me in similar ways to TB...that is, it feels like a joke more than a serious attempt at creating a beautiful and harmonious style.

However, in society at large, very few people would notice or appreciate the details of this outfit. Assuming he works and lives in an environment where people would notice, I imagine he gets a lot of compliments on his originality, and on his aesthetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics