• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would first try to swap it myself. Maybe snap the back open to see the case and serial numbers and give a quick call to Otto & Frei to see if they have a Hamilton or generic crystal to replace it.

Otherwise, I'd find the smallest local Hamilton retailer or watch repair store (i.e. not Tourneau) and ask them how much it would cost you to change it. A crystal should cost you between $4 and $20 (sapphire) so I would not spend $100+ on getting it changed.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would first try to swap it myself. Maybe snap the back open to see the case and serial numbers and give a quick call to Otto & Frei to see if they have a Hamilton or generic crystal to replace it. Otherwise, I'd find the smallest local Hamilton retailer or watch repair store (i.e. not Tourneau) and ask them how much it would cost you to change it. A crystal should cost you between $4 and $20 (sapphire) so I would not spend $100+ on getting it changed.
Why not Torneau? Too overpriced?

KtownGreg

Reaction score
A little IWC love

L1020699.jpg

L1020704.jpg

Feb-Shots232009-02-05.jpg

Feb-Shots122009-02-06.jpg

Feb-Shots62009-02-08.jpg

Feb12009-02-10.jpg

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
welcome back, moo missed you. I saw him cry.

Thanks. Is that a good thing?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Why not Torneau? Too overpriced?
They're douchebags, know nothing about watches and generally don't have watchmakers on site.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
They're douchebags, know nothing about watches and generally don't have watchmakers on site.

LOL, I used to collect expensive watches, and it's funny to see their mood change when you show them you can afford what they sell. I'm 22, and used to get the upturned nose until I would ask if they carried the OEM strap for my Breitling, Omega, etc. After that they'll do anything to 'service' you
mwink[1].gif

FWIW, most nice jewelry stores act the same way, but the one time I used Tourneau to switch a strap before I knew how, the guy put a big nick on top of the lug. No wonder they didn't charge and ushered me out quickly
bored.gif

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JN41
Seiko 5 military watch. Can pick them up online for cheap (under $80).

I picked one up from amazon a few mos back for around $70 or so. Definitely a great value.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Cannot decide if I love or hate that band. Leaning twords love.

Really like that watch on the right as well. I am ignorant, what kind is it?

Contemplating that Seiko aswell, the only thing that turns me off is that it looks slightly small and I have big wrists. Can anyone who owns it chime in on how it looks on the wrist or post up some pics? Additionally how do you guys think it would look with a more formal leather band?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
Contemplating that Seiko aswell, the only thing that turns me off is that it looks slightly small and I have big wrists. Can anyone who owns it chime in on how it looks on the wrist or post up some pics? Additionally how do you guys think it would look with a more formal leather band?
I've got a 7 1/4 - 71/2" wrist and it looks fine on me. I don't really think it's a formal style watch but I've seen people try to dress up Seiko Monsters before so what do I know. I'm going to be putting mine up in the For Sale section soon if you're interested.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've got a 7 1/4 - 71/2" wrist and it looks fine on me. I don't really think it's a formal style watch but I've seen people try to dress up Seiko Monsters before so what do I know. I'm going to be putting mine up in the For Sale section soon if you're interested.

what MM is it?

What are you selling it for?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
what MM is it? What are you selling it for?
38mm. It's exactly the same as the navy faced one below that unjung posted. I went a little nutty and picked up about 7 watches in the <600 range a few months ago and the Seiko is the only one I've actually worn more than once. I have since decided to minimize my watchdrobe and go with maybe 2 or 3 much nicer pieces. I'll be putting up a Seiko Spirit, Hamilton Jazzmaster, Christopher Ward Aviator, and possibly a Tissot Le Locle as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in it.
Originally Posted by unjung
DSCF2999.jpg

KtownGreg

Reaction score
A little Omega Speedmaster love

Pawleys2009_L1020785.jpg

Pawleys2009_L1020788.jpg

Pawleys2009_L1020789.jpg

Pawleys2009_L1020792.jpg

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Some JLC Reverso love....

JLCReverso1.jpg

JLCReverso2.jpg

JLCReverso3.jpg

JLCReverso4.jpg

JLCReverso5.jpg

JLCReverso6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics