• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Found my first pair of english shoes today. Crocket & Jones for $7.
cj.jpg
Also found a pair of Incotex Venezia 1951 Superfine 100's for $3, and a pair of Hugo Boss James Brown slacks for $7.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma

Nice shoes! For some reason I only find Church's, but I'm not complaining. Still, I'd like to run into some C&Js or EGs someday.

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma

Also found a pair of Incotex Venezia 1951 Superfine 100's for $3, and a pair of Hugo Boss James Brown slacks for $7.

Wow, very nice!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
After a long bespoke drought, three-piece glen plaid Huntsman suit--one-button sb jacket, lapeled vest, braceback trousers. Cloth is a fairly heavy flannel with a red windowpane. In short, not much of an inconspicuous ensemble. Made for one of my old friends before he started putting on weight. I can hardly wait to get out the old Henry Maxwell captoes and give it a ride. The ladies at the shop knew what I had. They threw in the Thurston braces but wouldn't part with the Huntsman hanger. Can't win them all. Five dollars.
On the way home I found a fifty dollar bill in the Safeway parking lot. Perhaps I really should buy a lottery ticket for the first time in my life.

Would you mind posting photos of the suit - maybe in your anglomania thread (one of SF's best ever)?

dj-jd

Reaction score
It's at the tailor so I can't show pics right now but....

I was in Brooks Brothers and about to leave. I asked at the register, "So, no jackets in 36R huh?" They point to the window. I walk over and look at a jacket, sort of gray-green, mostly lightweight wool with a little spandex in it for a 'stretch fit' or whatever. It fits me *great*. I asked them how much. Original price tag was around $250. Cost me $28

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
It's at the tailor so I can't show pics right now but....

I was in Brooks Brothers and about to leave. I asked at the register, "So, no jackets in 36R huh?" They point to the window. I walk over and look at a jacket, sort of gray-green, mostly lightweight wool with a little spandex in it for a 'stretch fit' or whatever. It fits me *great*. I asked them how much. Original price tag was around $250. Cost me $28

$28 for a new, non-thrifted BB sportcoat?

Epic.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Would you mind posting photos of the suit - maybe in your anglomania thread (one of SF's best ever)?

I would like to post some pictures. The suit is one of the best I've found--top-rate work commissioned by a v. experienced SR customer with money to burn (twenty years at Poole's before switching over to Huntsman).

I'm sweltering in the tropics right now, but once I get back to SF I'll get to work!

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Snatch them up if the price is right. I'll bet you could move them in a day on the B/S or trading post. Anything with "Makers for HRH", which is "His Royal Highness" IIRC, has got to be decent.

Thanks for the advice, had I not gone back I wouldn't have seen the Edward Greens they had just put out!

Well here's a closeup of the insignia. Anyone have a clue about these shoes?
confused.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both the same size and same owner? If so, they must be quality shoes if the man has EG in his repertoire.

**had**

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e92m3
Thanks for the advice, had I not gone back I wouldn't have seen the Edward Greens they had just put out!

confused.gif

penny loafers look real nice

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Both the same size and same owner? If so, they must be quality shoes if the man has EG in his repertoire.

**had**

They are different sizes so I suspect different owners.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e92m3

confused.gif

1) Where did you find these? 2) You should post some more pictures of the details (sole, nail patterns, size markings, etc.) so that maybe we can identify the maker by those.

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
1) Where did you find these?
2) You should post some more pictures of the details (sole, nail patterns, size markings, etc.) so that maybe we can identify the maker by those.

Purchased from a local thrift store. Here are the pictures of the sole and the inside markings. I haven't been able to find anything searching Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads