• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Thread

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Educate me on ties.

Why spend more than $20 on a tie?

What colors/patterns are good ties?

Skinny ties... Yay or nay?

How many ties do you guys own?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most ties are ugly.

Search "soporific tie Appreciation". There are great pictures in that thread.

I think I have about five neckties and at least that many bow ties. I seldom wear a tie though -- only for social occasions, never for work.

I'm ordering ties from Sam Hober because "one size" ties are too long for me. I've not got a width locked down yet -- no complaint about my first one, but I'm trying a narrower width also.

Skinny ties can be fine if you aren't huge and the style of your clothes goes with them. Otherwise they can be awful.

I think, for a given wearer, solid ties can be narrower than striped or patterned ones and still look good.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinny ties is a vague descriptor because more traditional folks would consider anything than than 3" skinny, whereas I would consider 2.25" to be skinny. You can also get sub 2" width ties from companies like D&G, something I would never wear, and these are also considered "skinny".

I'd say try and make sure your tie knot is proportionate to your collar size/width and the width of the tie is comparable to the width of your lapels, although I personally exercise more freedom when it comes to the latter. This helps keep the entire outfit in proportion and not leaving one piece (tie, shirt or jacket) looking out of sync. For example, take a RL Black Label shirt and suit and pair it with a 3.25" width tie and you are going to make the collar look ridiculously small because the knot will be too big and the jacket will look really odd because the tie is overpowering the slim cut of the suit.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Educate me on ties.

Why spend more than $20 on a tie?

Ties a better knot, material, construction. Same as any other piece of clothing pretty much.

What colors/patterns are good ties?

Totally subjective, but everything in iammatt's link made me vomit. I like me some polka dot or pindots, and the standard solid colors. I dislike stripes, paisleys, and most patterns.

Skinny ties... Yay or nay?

Yay.

How many ties do you guys own?

about 10 in use, 40-50 in the back of the closet.

Rawr.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love ties...at present I have around 50! Ranging from skinny to wide with stripes, solids, paisleys, florals and so on. A tie can make or break an outfit and if your suit rotation is small can add variety. I try to bargain shop my ties from places like the Basement, the Rack and charity shops, rarely spending more that $20 on any one tie.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
OK, I own about 40 some odd ties... and if I could offer you any advice, check out these two links:

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...be-part-1.html
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...be-part-2.html

Also, the ensuing website will give you another clue about what kinds of ties you should aim for... almost all of their selection is tasteful...

www.drakeslondon.com

That first link has a good example of a question I have:
oxford+detail.jpg
Is it normal for the narrow blade to stick out of one side of a FIH? One side of my FIH always goes deep to the back and looks good, but the other side goes about halfway back, with the narrow end getting in the way.

hammer07

Reaction score
Right now I only have 13 or 14 ties but hopefully that number will have increased a few fold by the time I actually start working.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about 220, love them all.

R-H

Reaction score
Start with a navy w/white pindot, 3.5" width.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Educate me on ties. Why spend more than $20 on a tie? What colors/patterns are good ties? Skinny ties... Yay or nay? How many ties do you guys own?
I like them as a fetish. Yesterday I bought two Canali ( I collect them) Flowered. Most of them I hang them for watch them and never wear them because they don´t match my current look, but I like them as an art. About why paying more than 20 $, If you like them.. Why to pay 100.000 for a car per example, or millions for some painting? or even 100.000 for a wine . That´s life I guess, evolution says it all.
worship.gif
Edit, the ties of the filmnoir article deserves some public inquisitorial punishment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads