• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camel hair blazers

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I never got the impression that camel hair blazers were conservative, preppy items. They always seemed a little obscure, luxurious and cool. I especially like ones that are a darker and richer in colour, bordering on caramel. Now I want one, great. Spertia and Holdfast's examples are great.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a navy and a black one for a few years and wore them a lot. They became thread bare at the elbows so they were discarded and never replaced.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I never got the impression that camel hair blazers were conservative, preppy items. They always seemed a little obscure, luxurious and cool. I especially like ones that are a darker and richer in colour, bordering on caramel. Now I want one, great. Spertia and Holdfast's examples are great.

If you're a 40L, it's still for sale!
wink.gif

Camel hair blazers ARE a little obscure, I think. I don't have one of my own yet, but if I can find my size at some point, I'll probably add one. Nice option to have.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Camel hair blazers are cool. They're pretty neutral and therefore allow the wearer to have some fun with the other elements of the outfit. Holdfast's photos are a great example... I believe that iammatt also rocks camel hair blazers... they may actually be just solid tan sportcoats, but if you check out a few of his WAYWT posts you'll see a lot of great, interesting ways to wear this wardrobe classic.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I like Camel Hair blazers, but don't recall ever seeing one mentioned here. Perhaps this forum is bit too hip. I mean no disrespect in saying that, but I'm 43 and my likes might not equal those of a 23 year old. I mentioned to my secretary that I was considering a camel hair blazer and she said they were for old men (and she's an old woman).

I bought my first camelhair jacket when I was 22. Admittedly, it was more "hip" than one typically sees in American camelhair jackets, with hacking pockets, a ticket pocket, and Roman shoulders. Not an "Ivy League" jacket at all. I still wear it and like it.

The second is just a regular sportcoat that happens to be made out of camelhair. Both are thick and heavy, and I could not imagine either one being worn during warmer months.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spotted and tried on a DB camel blazer last week. It was a size too large and certainly wintery in weight, but I'm still curious. I see them in largely the same way yfyf does

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
how luxurious is camel hair by the way , where do they fall in the hierarchy of lux feel:

cashmere
alpaca
wool
silk
mohair

etcc

To my untrained hand, camel hair is very similar in feel to cashmere - perhaps a tad "below" cashmere in softness... of course it depends on the quality of the fabrics, so I'm sure there are high-quality camel hair sportcoats which feel softer than lower-quality cashmere sportcoats...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
To my untrained hand, camel hair is very similar in feel to cashmere - perhaps a tad "below" cashmere in softness... of course it depends on the quality of the fabrics, so I'm sure there are high-quality camel hair sportcoats which feel softer than lower-quality cashmere sportcoats...

thank you jinda

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had one made up (SBNL; 3B; flapped pockets; side-vents) -- unfortunately I have only been able to wear it twice so far since we are into the summer months and the weight of it is more appropriate for the other three seasons. Colorwise I think it is fantastically versatile.

Stylistically/culturally I associate it with older Italian men -- I'll never pass for the latter (well, perhaps from the very northern reaches of Treviso) but I am no longer young.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
I spotted and tried on a DB camel blazer last week. It was a size too large and certainly wintery in weight, but I'm still curious. I see them in largely the same way yfyf does

This reminds me of the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece camel hair DB blazer I really want. I love it paired with those pants. It's on sale...for only $840

men-outfit-726-zoom.jpg

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I just had one made up (SBNL; 3B; flapped pockets; side-vents) -- unfortunately I have only been able to wear it twice so far since we are into the summer months and the weight of it is more appropriate for the other three seasons. Colorwise I think it is fantastically versatile.

May I ask where you did get the fabric ? I would love to have one made for me but I don't know where to find the fabric.

Thanks

Pierre

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petyot
May I ask where you did get the fabric ? I would love to have one made for me but I don't know where to find the fabric.

Thanks

Pierre

My tailor in Toronto had it in one of his swatch books -- it is with some embarrassment that I admit I don't know which fabric house.
shog[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads