• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highlighting hair

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hairstylist suggested that I put some highlights in my black hair (darker tones, nothing blond or radical like that).  Has anyone done this and been happy with the results?  And would it look cool or just out of place in a law firm?

TheMichael

Reaction score
Chase -

Don't do it man. I see so much downside and so little up. The
'fashion statement' will be constantly misinterpreted -- if it
is even a statement. See, it's happening already.

Often with issues of fashion, people are looking for validation
and discard opinions contrary to that which they are looking for. So, if you are truly looking for an opinion: don't do it and here is why:

When I had long hair I loved the look -- in casual clothes, weekends after work etc. But, if I had to dress I just didn't like it -- I didn't feel like I was put together well -- I think highlights may do the same -- casually they may be great, for hanging out,dating etc. but, in the professional world there will be more occasion than not that you wish- well, lets just say, are hair hi lights the perfect accessory to your charcoal colored Joseph Aboud coat?

High_Roller

Reaction score
Darker tones are fine, they lighten the overall appearance of the hair, while not looking to unnatural.
If he wants to but bright blond highlighs, etc. then no.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I'm think about highlights. I need to do something new with my hair. I'm bored with it. I have really thick so I can grow it long because afro-ish. My hair and the length of my face is similar to the picture. I want something subtle but different. Should I cut my hair shorter and then get the highlights or grow it out? Should I watch out for anything? What colors do you suggest? Or anything else I need to know?

Abhishek-Bachchan-Rishi-Talwar.jpg

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i do not think you should do it.

id also love to see the reaction at your gym. if they even notice.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

greasypeanut

Reaction score
heh. well i have highlights in my hair. my hair is black and the highlights are a dark brown color. its dark and subtle enough where you might think that its just the lights playing tricks on your eyes. i feel that it adds texture to my otherwise boring black hair.

i dont think you should do it if ur hairstyle is like the one in the picture, i dont think it will look right. it looks textured enough

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
How long is your hair? Do you have a recent picture? I scoured the Internet can't really find anything.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheMichael
Chase -

I agree.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do it but make it look as natural looking as possible. A good way to describe it to your colorist is " the Sun did it" look. Possibly a couple of shades lighter than your natural hair color. Nothing too obvious or drastic. The key here is finding a good colorist.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
My hairstylist suggested that I put some highlights in my black hair...
Depends. If you're doing pop-star law, maybe it is OK. That reminds me: whatever became of the poster that was retiring from heavy-metal roack-and-rollism to go to law school?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was toying with this idea as well, I've changed from dark blonde since when I was born to brown, and girls always commented on my natural highlights before they faded the last couple years. It's really hard to find any info on the net on "subtle" or "natural" highlighting for men since most guys seem to be going for the high-contrast douchebag look... Obviously I wouldn't want anyone to even guess that I had it done, so looking natural being the key. Is it too difficult or hard to find a stylist competent enough to do it?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheMichael
Chase -

Often with issues of fashion, people are looking for validation
and discard opinions contrary to that which they are looking for. So, if you are truly looking for an opinion: don't do it and here is why:

When I had long hair I loved the look -- in casual clothes, weekends after work etc. But, if I had to dress I just didn't like it -- I didn't feel like I was put together well -- I think highlights may do the same -- casually they may be great, for hanging out,dating etc. but, in the professional world there will be more occasion than not that you wish- well, lets just say, are hair hi lights the perfect accessory to your charcoal colored Joseph Aboud coat?

Wow. You've only made 5 posts in 8 years?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics